Best Disney Resort from Singapore??

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
One of my sons will be doing a semester abroad in Singapore spring of 2023. We live in NY so we would be flying home to NY at the end of the trip. We thought of course it's a great opportunity to visit someplace we normally wouldn't. His semester ends in May so that's the time we would be traveling. We have been to WDW many many times and own DVC. We have been to DL/DCA 2x. My sons and I are in the parks basically all day my husband not so much :laughing:. But we are all huge Disney fans. We can't go to all the Disneyland Asia resorts but which would you recommend? We would fly from Singapore and then fly home from Disneyland Asia to home (NY). I know this is a subjective question just looking for input.

I'd recommend Tokyo as there is a lot more to do there than any of the other Asian parks. It's enough for several days and if you want, you can spend your DVC points at the great hotels here. It's also the closest to New York so the long haul flight will be easier. In general, flights from Tokyo to the US have the best planes and flights from Shanghai to the US have the worst flight experience of the three locations.

Given that you own DVC and frequent WDW, Hong Kong will not have that much that is completely unique even though it is closer to Singapore. I recommend it more for complete Disney park beginners who don't know if they want a full day at a park or those who want to check it off their bucket list.

Shanghai could be a second choice after Tokyo as they have some of the newer high tech rides but WDW already has Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and will be getting Tron. The indoor shows here are the most acrobatic of the three resorts while Tokyo's shows are a bit more focused on characters. If we were just comparing the design of the castle parks, Shanghai may beat Tokyo Disneyland for a frequent WDW visitor but Tokyo also has Disneysea which I believe is the best non-castle park in the world.

Of all the parks in the world, Shanghai is the worst in terms of line cutting, shoving and children on shoulders during shows blocking people behind them while Tokyo has the best guest behavior. As a city, Shanghai also has the worst airport and most pollution of the three. The one issue with Tokyo is that it is very popular so wait times can be very high at times. Frequent WDW visitors may get frustrated at the patience that Japanese guests have. Wait times in Shanghai can also be high at times but at least you can buy premier access to skip the line while at Tokyo, vacation packages only give a few passes.

Of the three resorts, Shanghai is the only one I have never gotten an Annual Pass to.

I'd recommend Tokyo as there is a lot more to do there than any of the other Asian parks. It's enough for several days and if you want, you can spend your DVC points at the great hotels here. It's also the closest to New York so the long haul flight will be easier. In general, flights from Tokyo to the US have the best planes and flights from Shanghai to the US have the worst flight experience of the three locations.

Given that you own DVC and frequent WDW, Hong Kong will not have that much that is completely unique even though it is closer to Singapore. I recommend it more for complete Disney park beginners who don't know if they want a full day at a park or those who want to check it off their bucket list.

Shanghai could be a second choice after Tokyo as they have some of the newer high tech rides but WDW already has Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and will be getting Tron. The indoor shows here are the most acrobatic of the three resorts while Tokyo's shows are a bit more focused on characters. If we were just comparing the design of the castle parks, Shanghai may beat Tokyo Disneyland for a frequent WDW visitor but Tokyo also has Disneysea which I believe is the best non-castle park in the world.

Of all the parks in the world, Shanghai is the worst in terms of line cutting, shoving and children on shoulders during shows blocking people behind them while Tokyo has the best guest behavior. As a city, Shanghai also has the worst airport and most pollution of the three. The one issue with Tokyo is that it is very popular so wait times can be very high at times. Frequent WDW visitors may get frustrated at the patience that Japanese guests have. Wait times in Shanghai can also be high at times but at least you can buy premier access to skip the line while at Tokyo, vacation packages only give a few passes.

Of the three resorts, Shanghai is the only one I have never gotten an Annual Pass to.
Thank you for the help. Booking seems confusing so I wonder if Dreams books Toyko Disney. I usually do my own travel arrangements and have traveled quite a bit internationally (Europe and Africa) but this may be a little too challenging.

Thank you for the help. Booking seems confusing so I wonder if Dreams books Toyko Disney. I usually do my own travel arrangements and have traveled quite a bit internationally (Europe and Africa) but this may be a little too challenging.
All three locations are usually fine to book yourself online, but at the moment Tokyo at least has major booking restrictions due to COVID. Tokyo does have restrictions regarding the total number of days you can book, and if you want to stay onsite you need to book the minute bookings open as the hotels book up very fast. But May is a great time to travel to both Tokyo and Shanghai. Check out TDR Explorer for lots of great information.

I would do Hong Kong. I love the relaxed atmosphere. It is not as busy and crazy as Tokyo.

It is a lovely litle park, where you can do everything in one day, and 2 days to repeat some things or take your time. For Tokyo I would do at least 3-4 days to see everything once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter