Best automatic pool cleaner???

FLAngie

DIS Veteran
I am looking for an automatic pool cleaner for our in-ground concrete/gunite pool. Anyone have one that they can recommend that is not $$$$. I can't believe the price on some of them.:scared1: Maybe DH won't be getting one for Father's Day after all. I am just looking for something that scoots around and vacs by itself. I am not even sure what brands I should be looking for.

We have a Polaris....I got it from a dealer on *Bay for a fraction of what they cost in the catalogs. He was an authorized dealer though, and now we get trade in certificates all the time....although ours is still running well and we've only had to replace the bag once in the past 4 years. They are neat little creatures...the dogs love to watch it when it comes up the side and it's 'tail' flips out of the water and sprays everywhere LOL I think we paid around 300-400 for it....but it's listed at about twice that.

We also have a Polaris, purchased it with the pool. It keeps the pool very clean and well worth the $. This is our 5th summer using it. Only issue we have ever had is the bag got dry rotted, to be expected and easily replaced and then it eventually started eating the "tail", a little part that drags on the pool bottom. We just took it off after we digging it out of the bag everyday.

Polaris all the way, baby! We do nothing but empty the skimmer basket. The Polaris does all of the rest. Just empty the bag here and there. I LOVE IT!

I have "the pool cleaner" which does a good job. Haven't had it that long but from what I heard it lasts a long time and doesn't have many parts like some others.

Although there is certainly a high cost for the initial investment in a good motorized pool cleaner, we've found that our use of chemicals has been reduced by at least 50% - which will also add to the life of the liner.

Though truthfully, the time savings alone is worth it. We can now all enjoy the pool whenever we want rather than spending hours maintaining it!

How about for an above ground pool? Right now we have the turtle polaris and it just doesn't do that good of a job.

Polaris all the way, baby! We do nothing but empty the skimmer basket. The Polaris does all of the rest. Just empty the bag here and there. I LOVE IT!

We call our Polaris (which I recommend) the Pool Monkey. Don't ask me why, but that's it's official name.

Starting our 5th summer and no problems with the Pool Monkey!

We have had our pool and our Polaris for 11 years and I can't imagine not having it. What I have learned: The scrubbers on the end of the tail are there for a reason, they brush the pool as it moves. The little scrubber wears out, new ones cost 3.99 and we go through 1 every month and a half. Polaris replacemant parts are expensive. There are 8 bearings on a Polaris, and they are nothing more than stainless steel BB's in plastic, two per wheel and cost $10 each. Everything costs a lot and Polaris makes more in the parts world than they do selling the new ones. I do my own repairs but most Pool stores will fix yours for free if you pay for the parts you buy from them. To extend the life of you Polaris whenever you add chemicals to the pool take the polaris out of the pool. So many people never take theirs out and the shock, muratic acid and all the other stuff you may put in there will rot the bag and over time damage things on the pool cleaner. Lastly be sure and check it every so often to make sure its running straight and on the bottom for more effcient cleaning. There is a nozzel on the back of the Polaris that has screws on either side of it. If you loosen the screws you can adjust the nozzel. I played with the setting on it till it ran correctly.

Have fun!

How about for an above ground pool? Right now we have the turtle polaris and it just doesn't do that good of a job.

I have this and love it. After 7 years I just replaced it with another one. Hope this one works just as well. Guess Iwll find out when I open the pool next week. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter