Best advice for avoiding DIS buses with a scooter

snoopy352

Mouseketeer
Hi - We are there in June and want to avoid buses. There are three of us including myself and my wife who will have a scooter. We are staying at the Boardwalk and are fine with the boats to Epcot and DHS. But we have park days at MK and AK and want to get there about 30 mins before EMS starts. We are not able to disassemble the scooter. I assume a taxi is our best bet here. If that is correct, would we be ok going to the Boardwalk taxi stand and expecting there to be a taxi that can handle a scooter at rope drop? Or should ask them to help us out the night before and give them a time for the morning to be there?

Also for returning from the parks, best advice for that?

Minnie Vans are acceptable to us as well but would have the same questions. TIA!

Hi - We are there in June and want to avoid buses. There are three of us including myself and my wife who will have a scooter. We are staying at the Boardwalk and are fine with the boats to Epcot and DHS. But we have park days at MK and AK and want to get there about 30 mins before EMS starts. We are not able to disassemble the scooter. I assume a taxi is our best bet here. If that is correct, would we be ok going to the Boardwalk taxi stand and expecting there to be a taxi that can handle a scooter at rope drop? Or should ask them to help us out the night before and give them a time for the morning to be there?

Also for returning from the parks, best advice for that?

Minnie Vans are acceptable to us as well but would have the same questions. TIA!
remember a taxi/uber will only get you to the TTC which means monorail or ferry to MK gate. they will also not be able to drop you a walkable resort. so allow extra time and not sure when parking lots open before EMS starts. so far Minnie Vans have not restarted yet. plus not sure taxis can take a scooter that is not apart to fit in trunk

If you can't disassemble the scooter how will it fit in a taxi? I might be picturing something much bigger than it is tbf.

If, and that's still a big IF, MinnieVans are back and you can get a reservation that will be your best option. You can also try one of the Mears to see if they can book an ADA vehicle for you.

No, you should not expect to go to a taxi stand and find a taxi that is capable of taking an assembled scooter just waiting for you. You might, might, get lucky. More likely, the taxi stand will have to order one for you, and it can take 30 minutes or more.

A best bet is to reserve a Mears shuttle (not a cab). This can be done by calling Mears reservations.

Reliable wheelchair accessible transportation can be a challenge, at best. Give yourself lots and lots of extra time.

If you can't disassemble the scooter you'll have to call a taxi service like Mears to request a taxi that can accommodate the scooter. There likely won't be one waiting around outside any given resort.

Minnie Van had designated transportation that you could request, agreed it would be best that it resume operations before your visit.

Book a mears taxi at least 2 days ahead of time that can accommodate a scooter. And they only accommodate one scooter. I you are lucky, your driver will bring one of you and then come back for the other. If you go this route, ask for phone number of mears driver and see if he will come back at end of day. We used this service to go from offsite to onsite to Universal and had no issues.
Onsite, resort buses were awesome for my husband and myself. Took care of us so nicely!

Yeah, I'm using a scooter too and not renting a car this time because of the price of gas. I plan on using the Disney bus system and making sure I give myself plenty of time! by the time we go in September we will have Minnie Van's in service and they offer an accessable van so we will see. I've heard that Mears is the way to go but as for having more then one scooter at a time.,....it's gonna be tricky other then using the buses that can hold two scooters. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter