Benefits as a College Program Participant

stampin_fool

Mouseketeer
My son recently was accepted for the fall program and we know that some of the benefits are tickets for 3 people for 6 days and some sort of room discount as well. I am wondering what type of discount that may be and does that apply to all resorts (Fort Wilderness campgrounds/Cabins) or just certain resorts. We would love to be able to go down at least once while he is gone to spend some time with him and go to the parks and I am curious about the resort portion of his discounts and how far in advance he can book. We would love to try to plan some visits around his little brother's days off from school, if possible.

I am also curious as to the housing for the kids. My son and his girlfriend were accepted and plan to go at the same time (they accepted at the same time so they would have the same start/end dates). Are the apartments coed?

How soon do the kids start work? Will he need some money to hold him over until his first check?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!!!!

Ronda

My son recently was accepted for the fall program and we know that some of the benefits are tickets for 3 people for 6 days and some sort of room discount as well. I am wondering what type of discount that may be and does that apply to all resorts (Fort Wilderness campgrounds/Cabins) or just certain resorts. We would love to be able to go down at least once while he is gone to spend some time with him and go to the parks and I am curious about the resort portion of his discounts and how far in advance he can book. We would love to try to plan some visits around his little brother's days off from school, if possible.

Depending on the time of year and resort availability, Disney resorts offer up to half off for cast members.

I am also curious as to the housing for the kids. My son and his girlfriend were accepted and plan to go at the same time (they accepted at the same time so they would have the same start/end dates). Are the apartments coed?

Apartments aren't coed, but buildings are. I actually just got down writing about housing, check out the post here. If they want to be housed near each other, they should stay together during the initial phases of check-in, and make their request known right before collecting keys.

How soon do the kids start work? Will he need some money to hold him over until his first check?

Participants start working on their third day, and their first pay-check is usually reasonable- rent is not taken out of the first paycheck. After that, the following week incurs a double rent deduction (for the previous week and the current week), usually this paycheck is very close to zero. Disney recommends around $350-400 in start-up cash, and I think that's pretty sensible.

Thank you so much for posting the link to your blog!!! :) What great information you have on there. I am going to forward the link to my son and his girlfriend so they can read it as well.

Ronda

Ronda

I can answer some of this I think...

Discounts on resorts, I do think it's all resorts, but it depends on the time of year, if he's staying with you or not, and a few other things, though I'm not 100% positive. I'm pretty sure (depending on the room, dates it's being booked for, ect...) he can get up to 50% off, and he can book it as soon as he knows the dates you want to be there (well... give him a few days to get into Disney's system and he'll be fine.)

As for start/end dates we get to pick our own! Well, we get to pick our own start dates, and if they start the same day, then they'll end the same day. I'm not sure when the date picking happens, he may have already picked it.
The apartment buildings are co-ed, but the apartments themselves are not. Though that doesn't mean that a guy can't go hang out in a girls room or vice versa. That's up to said guy or girl, and their roommates.

He will need some money to tide him over, I think Disney says a few hundred or something. Bassically, he'll check in, and he may or may not have a few days between the check in days bfore traditions, and that's when he starts getting paid.

Also, something to note, they don't take any rent out of the first paycheck, as it will be a small amount (mine was like $25), so they take double out of the second one, making it a small amount as well ($37 that time), so he may need a bit of money to help get him through that.

Also don't forget the wonderfull-ness that is direct deposit, then there's no hassle with a paycheck and having to cash it, he just has his money on Thursday.

Sorry for the extra long answer, if there's any other questions, feel free to ask away!

Participants start working on their third day, and their first pay-check is usually reasonable- rent is not taken out of the first paycheck. After that, the following week incurs a double rent deduction (for the previous week and the current week), usually this paycheck is very close to zero. Disney recommends around $350-400 in start-up cash, and I think that's pretty sensible.

As for the double rent deduction...what happens if our paycheck doesn't cover the double rent?

As for the double rent deduction...what happens if our paycheck doesn't cover the double rent?

It'll just roll over into the next week until it's paid off. Alternatively, you can pay the remaining balance at the housing office (and now they are accepting credit cards for these).

It'll just roll over into the next week until it's paid off. Alternatively, you can pay the remaining balance at the housing office (and now they are accepting credit cards for these).

Fantastic! I know since I will be on a limited schedule that unless I am at Vista in a 3bdrm (which I really wouldn't mind!) it won't cover 2 weeks rent.

hey
can someone explain what the 3 person 6 day thing is.. thanks

Sure... essentially you can bring your family and friends into Disney Theme Parks for up to six visits per calendar year. Each visit entitles you to bring in three people per visit, but the entitlements are use it or lose it per visit- if you don't admit three people into the parks, anything left over doesn't carry over. You can only use your pass once a day (for a maximum of three people) and the count doesn't include yourself.

For example, if I brought my mom and brother into the parks, I've used up one visit. Even though I didn't bring in three people (only two in the this case), the extra entitlement I didn't use expires on this day. I now have five visits and three people per visit left- a maximum of 15 admissions.

Upon entry, your guests receive complimentary one-day park hoppers and can be admitted to the theme parks an unlimited amount of times that day without you being present. You're still responsible for their conduct, though.

As far as the apartments being co-ed, as long as they live in the same complex it is not against the rules for them to have sleep-overs. My boyfriend and I went down together as well and asked security about this just to be sure.

"As far as the apartments being co-ed, as long as they live in the same complex it is not against the rules for them to have sleep-overs. My boyfriend and I went down together as well and asked security about this just to be sure"....

answer is no, sleepovers are not allowed, everyone not assigned to the apt must be out by 1 am..if your roomies say ok, and nobody says anything, then I wouldn't see the problem, but if someone complains and security comes by, they log this down so any further problems can result in termination...

just an FYI

"As far as the apartments being co-ed, as long as they live in the same complex it is not against the rules for them to have sleep-overs. My boyfriend and I went down together as well and asked security about this just to be sure"....

answer is no, sleepovers are not allowed, everyone not assigned to the apt must be out by 1 am..if your roomies say ok, and nobody says anything, then I wouldn't see the problem, but if someone complains and security comes by, they log this down so any further problems can result in termination...

just an FYI

...that's not correct with my understanding of the subject. The housing contract stipulates that only residences assigned to each complex may be in that specific complex beyond 1 AM- there is no actual apartment restriction beyond that requirement. As long as a participant lives at the same complex as the apartment they are visiting, they are free to roam as much as they want within that complex without restriction.

The restriction only applies to non-residents of a particular housing complex.

Visitor Authorization Policy

Participants are assigned to live on one property only within the Housing Properties, referred to as their "home base". They are considered as guests at other Housing Properties. Between the hours of 7 AM and 9 PM, participants may freely interact and access all three housing properties. Between the hours of 9 PM and 1 AM, participants must be invites and authorized as guests on any Housing Property other than their home base property. At 1 AM, all guests are prohibited and it is the responsibility of the host to see all guests on any Housing Property. Overnight visitors are strictly prohibited. It is not Management's or Security's responsibility to guarantee that guests have left Housing Property by 1 AM. All Visitors must be at least 18 years of age and show picture identification to Security upon registering to enter. The participant host authorizing the visitor's access is responsible for the conduct of their guests and must ensure that the person is with them at all times and off Housing Property at 1 AM. There is to be no loitering with their guest(s) in common areas. Management has the right to remove and trespass any participant or guest from the Housing Properties.

...that's not correct with my understanding of the subject. The housing contract stipulates that only residences assigned to each complex may be in that specific complex beyond 1 AM- there is no actual apartment restriction beyond that requirement. As long as a participant lives at the same complex as the apartment they are visiting, they are free to roam as much as they want within that complex without restriction.

The restriction only applies to non-residents of a particular housing complex.

you are correct on that, but i was merely answering the question regarding sleepovers, etc.. for example, 1 apartment i knew, had parties, sleepovers, etc.. people complained and the entire apartment was terminated due to that.. so it can happen where people complain about sleepovers, etc..just sharing what I experienced....also note that i said if nobody complains, then it would not be a problem, it's all about limiting the complaints or having no complaints at all..

All Visitors must be at least 18 years of age and show picture identification to Security upon registering to enter.

So does this mean that when we are down visiting my son we can't go see where he is staying because we will have our younger son with us (age 10)?

Ronda

So does this mean that when we are down visiting my son we can't go see where he is staying because we will have our younger son with us (age 10)?

Ronda

The housing contract doesn't mention the conditions on how guests under the age of 18 are admitted- as long as the parent or guardian of that child accompanies them, typically there aren't any issues. From what security told a friend of mine, it's fine for younger visitors that are part of your family to see the property and what daily life is like for a reasonable amount of time, but it is preferable that they come earlier on in the day- frankly speaking, it is an adult apartment complex where adult behavior and language is present; by nature it's a college-age-oriented environment that is not designed for younger guests.

Does anyone know if there is a discount for cast members to do the Richard Petty driving experience? I've always wanted to do that, but its so much $$$

Ronda

The discount applies to all WDW resorts. It does depend on availability though. It is up to 50% off (with the CP staying there), and it is less if the don't.

The apartments are not co-ed. They can try to be put in the same apartment though.

Training usually starts on Day 4-5. But money won't be coming in for about 3 weeks. I would bring money down.

Ronda

No. Family members are allowed to come, even if they are under 18 (as long as there is a parent/guardian with them).

of you who answered my questions. You are all so helpful. I really appreciate your taking the time out of your day to help a neurotic mom!!! LOL

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Ronda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter