Belly Dancers @ Restaurant Marrakesh

rodkenrich

DIS Veteran
I need to know before my trip in April 2006, how distracting/unpleasant is the idea of watching belly dancers carting around tables as "one" is trying to enjoy the fine dining?

The belly dancing "shows" feature only 1 dancer and are tastefully done. We did not find them disruptive at all - it is quite fun the watch the performances, which last about 15 minutes, so you'll have plenty of time to dine peacefully before/after the show. :sunny:

We too enjoyed the show. As stated, they are periodic not continuous and last about 15 minutes. I would think they are about once an hour. It was pleasant, and the Belly Dancer involved some of the children in the restaurant, teaching them how to dance. It was cute.
If the thought of a 15 minute show during your meal is disruptive for you, you might want to consider eating at the CS cafe, the Tangerine Cafe, instead. It gets very good reviews here on the DIS. Seating is at tables outside and you would not be disturbed by the Belly Dancer.

I don't think it's distracting at all - it's part of the ambiance & quite enjoyable. You don't have to watch her if you don't want to.

I'm a belly dancer and it is not lurid in the least. I found the dancers at Marrakesh to be pretty good. They don't parade around at all but stay in one place for the most part and there is only one. I cannot imagine anyone finding these dancers offensive in the least. If it really bothers you or you think this dance is somehow inapoppriate, then you should consider not dining there.

Belly Dance is not a "come on" it is a dance with ancient roots for celebration. It is not the same as a stripper at all.

Like others have said, it's about 15 minutes once an hour. The belly dancer is awesome. She does a fantastic job. There is nothing untoward about belly danicing, it's a beautiful dance. I would love to learn how to do it myself. :thumbsup2

Methinks if you have to ask the question, you won't enjoy the belly dancing and ought to dine elsewhere. As for us, we thoroughly enjoy the belly dancer!

Keep in mind also that WDW is a family-oriented place. There isn't going to be any suggestive/scantily dressed belly dancing going on. The dancer we watched while dining there was very good, not at all disruptive or inappropriate.

ElizabethB said:
Methinks if you have to ask the question, you won't enjoy the belly dancing and ought to dine elsewhere. As for us, we thoroughly enjoy the belly dancer!

I would have to agree, especially if one considers the dancing to be distracting/unpleasant.

rodkenrich said:
I need to know before my trip in April 2006, how distracting/unpleasant is the idea of watching belly dancers carting around tables as "one" is trying to enjoy the fine dining?

I'm a belly dancer and I have never "carted around tables" while dancing. :) Belly dancing is hard enough to do without having to hold on to a table as well!

I think that if you already think of belly dancing as being "unpleasant", than you should take other people's advice and eat at a different place. Belly dancing is a beautiful art form and a lovely dance and I'm proud to be a belly dancer.

phyllis1966 said:
The belly dancing "shows" feature only 1 dancer and are tastefully done. We did not find them disruptive at all - it is quite fun the watch the performances, which last about 15 minutes, so you'll have plenty of time to dine peacefully before/after the show. :sunny:
At least someone gave me a straight answer. :thumbsup2

I think most everyone here gave you a straight answer, with one or two joking exceptions. When you address the issue of belly dancing as distracting/unpleasant, you've voiced an opinion about the issue. The responders were voicing their opinions as well as giving you answers. I don't think it's unreasonable for some to suggest you might prefer to dine elsewhere, considering your wording.

rodkenrich said:
At least someone gave me a straight answer. :thumbsup2

I am sorry but a lot of people gave you really good information, not just one. That is unkind to all of us who tried to give you the information you needed to make this decision.

I think the OP realizes that a lot of different people gave the correct info..don't think the reply was meant to focus on one answer or to make others feel unrecognized.
I will say, that after two meals at Marrakesh, I think the dancer is avoiding me!!! She always comes out just as we are leaving. Obviously we aren't giving our meals the proper length of time to properly enjoy them..hence we keep missing the 'floor show'. We did hang out and watch the dancer from the podium area and thought she was terrific. Looks like we need to start taking our time while eating here!!!

goofy4tink said:
I think the OP realizes that a lot of different people gave the correct info..don't think the reply was meant to focus on one answer or to make others feel unrecognized.
I think you're being kind, Diane. The OP did quote one person, and made it clear in the writing that one answer was being singled out. Nice mediation, though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter