Being Grilled by CRO??

robinb

DIS veteran
Has anyone had this experience? I just called to check availability at AKL for our May trip. First she asked for my last name and zip code, the for the names of all the people in the room. This was before she even bothered to check for availability! She said it was for "my convenience" so that if I called back and wanted to make a reservation all the information would already be on file. I said that I would prefer to give that information when I actually made the reservation and not before. *sheesh* What a pain! Next time I'm going to insist that they skip the "3rd degree" and get right to the rate checking!

It's your dime. Since they no longer have toll free numbers I won't spend the extra few minutes giving out all that info unless I am ready to make a reservation with rates and availability in hand.

Yes, I was asked this when I FIRST called to check on availability. This didn't really bother me though because I only call when i know I'm going to make a ressie and I know I'd have to give the info anyway. Actually, i changed a ressie recently and since they already had this info it really simplified the call.

Yeah, Robinb, they sometimes ask me this, too. I usually just give them my phone number and they can pull up all my info -- that way I don't have to answer the third degree questions.

Cut'em a little slack. It does help streamline things. It beats wasting everyone's time when some one asks for availability, and then tries to make a ressie only to then be told a party of 5 can't stay in that resort.

Gee, I call so often, they just hear my voice and say, "Hi Sandra!" LOL!

I agree with Geoff. It does streamline things and it will be on record so the next time you call, you won't have to go through the tedious process again. They are, after all, only doing their job and what they have been told they have to do.

I disagree with it "streamlining" things. Name, rank and serial number for every member of the party to simply check a rate is a huge pain for both of us. If I want to book a reservation, then that info is great. Also, asking in advance how many people in the party and how many days they want to stay is fine. You need that information to make sure they are not planning 5 to a room where that is not allowe ;).

I do think they have been told to ask these things, probably for tracking purposes. I just don't want to be "tracked". I also don't want to play 5 minutes of 20 questions with the agent.

That happened to me, too. I've reserved a May trip with my husband and parents. I gave them my parents' names for the reservation. Now when I call up for something, they call me by my Mom's name.

I don't like it either. Why can't they wait until they know if you're calling to make a reservation before they ask for your name and zip code? Why do they need that info to tell me about VIP viewing, or to give me info about PS. etc?

Another thing... I just called to check out if I could use a postcard rate (couldn't) and they sent me a modified ressie sheet! Nothing was modified. You would think with all the cutbacks...

Think about it this way--when they "track" you, it also gives them an idea of what you are interested in, and allows them to send you a postcard to get a deal in order to try a resort you might not be able to otherwise...

Anne

(100% proponent of opt-in segment marketing!)

It is just a way to better serve us. Supposedly all of our stays are now accesable via name and zip. Additionally, information regarding special requests and such should be available.

Think of it this way:

Now that they have your "information," maybe you'll start getting those elusive POSTCARDS!:bounce:

Everytime I call it seems to be the same list of ?'s even after I give them the basics. Nothing seems to be streamlined to me. Sorry :( I think the fact that it is our "dime" has something to do with it. I am sure that they are getting lots of marketing information from the same people over and over LOL. JMHO

Occasionally I get those questions, but I just say politely that I would rather not give them that information until I'm ready to book and they always oblige.

Based on a recent conversation I had with one of them, she said that they are no longer letting people make lots of ressies because they can't decide which resort they want. I think this way what they do is they look you up in their database and see all the ressies that you have. She had me cancel my AllStarMo before she would make my Amex offer ressie at a moderate. The downside is that sometimes it is hard to decide and if I am willing to pay the deposit, what's the big deal? I guess the upside is then there really would be more availability for all of us if many people aren't "holding" bunches of ressies. [shrugging shoulders].:rolleyes:

Well, it just goes to show you how different CM's can be. Just this morning I was calling to check on different types of rooms for our Christmas trip. I reminded the CM I had a ressie for BWI, but she insisted I book an AKL suite as well, too funny. :)

Name, rank and serial number for every member of the party to simply check a rate is a huge pain for both of us.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. If giving them that information will help narrow things down and provide me quicker service overall, I'll continue to be happy to take a few seconds and provide the info.

As was pointed out already, if you politely tell them you'd rather not give that information at this time I doubt the next sound you hear will be a "click" on the other end of the line.

Now that they have your "information," maybe you'll start getting those elusive POSTCARDS!
LOL! I just got one in the mail today! So much for that theory ;).

BTW, I tried to avoid giving them a bunch of information and was stonewalled by the CM. I guess that's what honked me off the most was that I tried, but failed. I was polite, not rude, because as we all know a happy CM on your side is a good CM. I could have just refused, but I suspect there would have been "no room at the lodge" for me :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter