Bed Bugs at the Polynesian =(

There are several reasons, besides the Vegas shooting, that Disney feels the need for these checks. There have been many cases of children being kidnapped and kept in rooms at Disney, human traffickers have used Disney rooms. Then, there is the issue of someone becoming ill in a room, or worse. That's happened many times as well.
So, all of you that feel the need to use door stops or such to prevent someone from entering your room, you had best hope you never have an emergency and call for help. Drastic? Sure. I've been at WDW about three times since they started this policy. I've been at OKW, Polynesian, All Star Movies and Music. Only one time did I have someone come to my room while I was there. It was midday at OKW, I hadn't hung the 'room occupied' sign out They knocked gently, I answered the door, the CM said he would be just a minute, he emptied two trash cans and was gone within 2 mins. I never saw anyone at the Polynesian or Music. At Movies, I did forgo housekeeping. I had a visit, on my first day, from a CM that wasn't a housekeeper. He asked if everything was okay, I said it was, and off he went. Never had trash emptied, but someone may have entered my room. No idea if they did or didn't.
It's just not a big deal for me.

Some people have loose lips. It is absolutely possible.

I completely agree, DH and I have met staff members who has been very candid about things as well.

Just got back from GF 2 weeks ago and I overheard another guest 2 weeks ago saying her room had bedbugs and they were handling it. I don't know what building it was, assuming it was GF though. This was at the end of our trip (I had checked our room for bedbugs when we first entered, I always do at any hotel). Then it hit me the other day...I saw the bedbug dog. A person in uniform was walking a beagle dog on the grass in the courtyard area by the quiet pool. I thought it was odd, why was a dog there being walked on the grass and it is a hotel that does not allow dogs? It didn't occur to me then that it was the bedbug dog, but I am sure it was looking back. They can be anywhere, any price level and heck, I still worry even though I checked (and not one of us had a bite anytime in our 9 day stay). But still unnerving! Check your hotel rooms, no matter what hotel.

Last edited:

Found them at AS Sports when we checked the bed. Went straight to Housekeeping office and got a new room and she helped us check the new room. In retrospect I should have gone to the front desk. We probably would have been highly compensated

Found them at AS Sports when we checked the bed. Went straight to Housekeeping office and got a new room and she helped us check the new room. In retrospect I should have gone to the front desk. We probably would have been highly compensated
You're one of the first people I've seen saying you found them when doing a bed check (rather than after the fact/bitten or happening to see one by chance) -- did you see the actual bugs or signs of them or both? One of my worst fears is bringing them home with me, so I'm trying to learn how to check better!

WHY did I read this thread?!?! I'm so happy that we finally get to go back to the Polynesian and now they have bed bug issues? UGH! I know that they can and are found anywhere and everywhere and I always check for them no matter where we stay, but still :crazy2:.

Fingers crossed that we get a pest free room!

WHY did I read this thread?!?! I'm so happy that we finally get to go back to the Polynesian and now they have bed bug issues? UGH! I know that they can and are found anywhere and everywhere and I always check for them no matter where we stay, but still :crazy2:.

Fingers crossed that we get a pest free room!
I just got back yesterday from a one-week stay at the Polynesian. There were no bugs in our room or luggage after getting home whatsoever.

You're one of the first people I've seen saying you found them when doing a bed check (rather than after the fact/bitten or happening to see one by chance) -- did you see the actual bugs or signs of them or both? One of my worst fears is bringing them home with me, so I'm trying to learn how to check better!

They were quite obvious... actual bugs and fecal signs founds. It had to be a pretty bad infestation that we found the signs EASILY. No flashlight needed.

Edit: we had a case of B.B. in our NYC apartment that we think we brought back from disney when we stayed in September (found them around October at our apartment). So we always check every hotel now. Tear the beds apart. Inspect everything as best we can

They were quite obvious... actual bugs and fecal signs founds. It had to be a pretty bad infestation that we found the signs EASILY. No flashlight needed.

Edit: we had a case of B.B. in our NYC apartment that we think we brought back from disney when we stayed in September (found them around October at our apartment). So we always check every hotel now. Tear the beds apart. Inspect everything as best we can
Thanks so much for the extra info —Sorry you had to deal with that though :(

We just got back from a wonderful vacation at the Polynesian a week ago. When we checked into our rooms in Rarotonga, 1814 & 1815, we used flash lights to do a thorough search in both my DD's and our room for bed bugs. Fortunately, there was no sign. Everything was clear.

On the day we checked out, there was a king size mattress propped up outside of a room in Niue. We didn't see the bed bug dog or anything else, so I'm not really sure why that mattress was there, but that was the only time I had any concern.

We just got back from a wonderful vacation at the Polynesian a week ago. When we checked into our rooms in Rarotonga, 1814 & 1815, we used flash lights to do a thorough search in both my DD's and our room for bed bugs. Fortunately, there was no sign. Everything was clear.

On the day we checked out, there was a king size mattress propped up outside of a room in Niue. We didn't see the bed bug dog or anything else, so I'm not really sure why that mattress was there, but that was the only time I had any concern.
Maybe the family co-sleeps and someone leaked.

Maybe the family co-sleeps and someone leaked.
I was thinking the same thing.

I really don't think Poly has an issue. I'm starting to think that the bugs are hitchhiking on peoples' luggage from the airport. We have cloth luggage which is perfect for bed bugs to attach to, and have decided to invest in new hardcover luggage.

If one room is infested it’s possible the adjacent rooms are infested, as these critters can get into cracks and such. We always check when we get into our room no matter where we stay, you just never know.

My DH works in sales for the parent company that owns Orkin. He is always talking about the epidemic of bed bugs. He said you can pick them up anywhere...anywhere there is upholstered furniture. Movie theaters, hospitals, restaurants and even church. When we go on vacation, we leave the luggage in the car if possible, if not we bring it in and place it in the bathtub/shower. Then DH inspects the room. He pulls the mattress away from the headboard and inspects that area including the mattress, then he checks behind the headboard and on the wall. Then he pulls the sheets off looking at the mattress; especially the rolled cording and any crevices. He looks for dark, rusty brown dots or dark brown/black bugs. They are very tiny. If you see anything like this go to the front desk and report it. Insist they move you; don’t sleep in that bed. He tells me all the time what an epidemic it is and how hard it is to get rid of them. It’s not that the hotel is dirty it’s guest brining them and infesting the place. The hotels are constantly struggling to stay on top of this. So pay attention; be diligent to check things out. You definitely don’t want to bring these creatures home with you.

You also have to consider that housekeeping is utilizing the same vacuum for many rooms. If it is a large enough infestation housekeeping could be transporting them from one room to another. I always do a check before I bring luggage into the room. I have never checked the bureaus though, so I will add that to my room review!

Glad bed bugs do not like white.
We have a white house :)

Now just to get rid of stink bugs in our attic - we have tried raspberry air fresheners
ans it mostly works to get rid of them ;)

Is that really a thing for stink bugs? We get them sometimes in the fall. A raspberry spray?

We use renusit raspberry solid air fresheners
Yes - stink bugs do not like the above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter