• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Club vs. Boardwalk for Home Resort

jd99

DIS Veteran
We are looking to buy in as a resale and last week said, let's wait til we can find the right amount of points at the BCV since we want that as our home resort. Now I'm looking at BWV and think "wow" when I see the pics of the interiors. BCV is what we originally chose because of SAB...but gettting itchy and may want to pull trigger on BWV that is available. So my question here is, for those of you who have been to both: How difficult is it to get into BCV on 7 months notice...and just want some opinions on BCV vs. BWV as far as the villas are concerned. MANY thanks in advance.

Buy where you want to stay. If you want BCV, don't count on it staying bookable at the 7 month window for the next 38 years. Wait and buy it when you can.

That said, they're both wonderful resorts. So don't buy BWV as a "fall-back," but if it's starting to appeal to you, the go for it!

What exactly is it about the interiors that caught your attention? The room layouts at both resorts are virtually identical. Furnishings are a bit different in style, but both resorts have largely the same functional pieces.

BCV is smaller, so it can be harder to book by that virtue. You also cannot pool hop to SAB when staying at any other resort.

BWV, on the other hand, has Standard View rooms for fewer points, as well as the desirable Preferred Boardwalk View. These two room classes can be hard to get at 7 months.

We have points at both resorts. We have more (285) at BWV and a small amount (50) at BCV. We stay mostly at the BWV because we love the Boardwalk area - mainly going down to the
Boardwalk bakery every morning!

Both are great resorts, BCV has the best pool, especially for the little ones. We usually stay off peak seasons so we don't have
any problem getting to the BCV in the 7 month window. The
standard view points at the BWV are a plus for the BWV.

It's a tough choice. Which woud you utulize more, standard view point at the BWV in the 11 month window or the pool at BCV.

We own at both resorts and love them both - with the slight edge going to BWV.

I love BWV because of the standard (cheaper) views, guaranteed BW views, the pool, kids pool and playground and the whole atmosphere I enjoy a little better.

I love BCV because of the pool of course and I also really love the architecture.

If you like them equally then I would buy whichever comes up first. You could always buy BWV and then get on the "waitlist" with your guide for points at BCV (if budget allows of course).

Good luck!

I'll just add a couple minor things about differences with the interior...

I'm not sure if you have kids or not but I found the table at BCV to be excellent to seat many in that small a space. The table at BCV is an oval with a bench seat on one side. This bench can seat 3 if it isn't a big meal or all adults. We had the high chair on the end and brought over one of the other chairs for a full dinner. I have not been at BWV but the round table and chairs do not look as versatile and able to handle as many. Although for a family of 2-4 it could be fine and nicer for adults.

At BCV you are able to get a dedicated 2 bedroom that has 2 queens in the second bedroom. I believe only 1/3 of the 2 bdrms have 2 Queens but with the home advantage you can easily get one. I don't think you can do that at BWV. It believe they are all lock-offs. (someone correct me if I am wrong!!)

The entrance to the second bedroom is near the entry way at BCV. This is a little nicer if there is someone sleeping in the livingroom.

The bathroom had a another door. The toilet is in a seperate room. This can be handy.

Good luck with your decision!! I think either are great choices!! We own at BCV, but Disney was selling it at the time!!

As far as booking goes, here is an example of what I found...we own at BWV and have booked 2 standard view studios (a long time ago - because I think it is impossible to get standard view without owning BWV - they book up way too quickly). We wanted to add one more room for my sister and her family. This is for October and I just called a week or so ago, so it is free game for anybody to book there now. I was able to get a "preferred" view at BWV (no boardwalk, but view of pools etc.). NO studios were available at BCV at all. I'm not sure what you will be booking mostly, but that was my most recent experience...fyi.

Good luck with your decision!

We own at Boardwalk but have visited the models at BCV and my personal preference is BWV because I like the master bath with large walk in closet set up better there. The views at BWV are much better and more varied. You can get a grand villa here,none at BCV. Points are less in standard views and you have the ability to get a room with the boardwalk view if its available. We like the community hall set up with the quiet pool for some trips and the main slide pool on others. Most people love the SAB pool set up at Beach club but it is not enough of a draw for me. I like being close to ESPN club,Jelly Rolls and the entertainers at night. The resorts themselves are both elegant but not stuffy. Everyone one is different but we have never regretted our boardwalk purchase and have added on several times. We like to have our points in one place so with banking and borrowing we can get multiple villas on occasion for family reunions. Much cheaper to do at BWV if you use standard points.

I own at BWV and OKW and have stayed at BCV 3 times. It's a very nice resort and in many ways I wish I had bought there. SAB can't be beat and the walk to your unit seems to be shorter (or at least more interesting) than the same walk at BWV. The thing that I really love about BWV is being able to save points by booking a standard view. Unfortunately, standard views are far and few between after the 11 month window. If you think you may want to book at standard view, then go for BWV. If SAB is really important to you, go for BCV :).

We also own at both, with most of our points at the BWV. Even though we have owned at the BCV for 3 years we are going to stay there for the first time in December. I do think you need to decide which atmosphere you prefer and that is different for everyone. I have to tell you all of the DVC resorts we have stayed (OKW and VB in addition to BWV) at we have loved and could own at any of them. For my tastes, if I had to pick one it would be the BWV just because of the activity and restaurants on they BW.

I like the table at BCV better and the bathroom (larger shower) at BWV.

BWV is a shorter wlak to MGM and longer to Epcot.

We typically stay in a standard at BWV as so it is a few less points.

SAB is outstanding.

You are gonna like either.

If you're set on staying most trips at BCV, buy there. Still, BWV may indeed be a better value for most due to the standard view options, GV and larger resort making it somewhat easier to book at times. And as you note, BWV may indeed be easier to find what you want resale due to the fact it's a larger resort (more points packages were sold) and that the owners have owned longer giving them more time for life changes to encourage them to sell.

for the great advice. We really are torn because the standard view choice is one thing that really has us thinking about the BWV but SAB can't be beat. I think we are going to hold out for a BCV resale and in the meantime just book a trip to the BC/YC in December. If we get our resale before then that we can use and we find a unit available...we'll head to BCV. Again, thanks VERY much.

Both are fantastic resorts and we enjoy them both. The one thing I dislike about BCV though is the building location in relation to the main hub of the resort complex. BCV was built on an existing parking lot and this is very evident in it's location in relation to the restaurants, boat dock, main pool, etc.
If you like pools, SAB is the most beautiful, most fantastic pool on property, imo.
BWV has a big advantage with standard view and guaranteed boardwalk view villas. This is a very nice advantage that BWV owners get and usually grab up the majority of these villa categories before the 7 month window opens for non BWV owners.
I also like the dining table much better at BCV--big improvement on Disney's part.
Good luck!
::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter