• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Be Honest About Bay Lake Towers...

I agree with the PP. We also bought DVC at BLT purely for location. It's not my taste either, but you can't beat the location with a stick, especially when traveling with a stroller! Also, with owning at BLT I was able to get my son a New Years Eve theme park view studio a while ago, instead of 7 months out. Have fun and if BLT is not to your liking, then you just know not to return there next time.

I've never stayed at BLT so can't comment on the choice, although we are trying CR this summer for the first time, but keep in mind those TA and other site reviews are almost all predominantly negative. Any Disney resort you look up, you'll see nothing but negative reviews. People don't tend to take the time to review when they had a good time and loved the place as much as when they didn't like it and want to vent.

I've never stayed at BLT so can't comment on the choice, although we are trying CR this summer for the first time, but keep in mind those TA and other site reviews are almost all predominantly negative. Any Disney resort you look up, you'll see nothing but negative reviews. People don't tend to take the time to review when they had a good time and loved the place as much as when they didn't like it and want to vent.

That's why you need to sign up for Trip Advisor or other sites and give your comments. I was really apprehensive about staying at a hotel where I was going for business based on the TA reports. Well, it turned out very nice. So I wrote a TA report refuting all the negative reports.

Three of us stayed in a studio on a cash reservation when BLT first opened in Aug 2009. Honestly? We loved it there. While I usually go for resorts with lush grounds and BLT is mostly concrete, being able to walk to and from MK was the very thing that made me forget about the greenery and flowers I enjoy so much seeing on vacation. To me, that walk was worth it's weight in gold. :)

The only negative, imo, was having to use the food court at CR. I found the Contempo Cafe to be dark, dreary, and dated. I never looked forward to going there. My kids didn't mind it at all, though. I would add that I am not a fan of the looks of CR in general.

I would go back to BLT in a heartbeat, if it were not for the high cost of the rooms.
Have fun!
tink

I haven't stayed at BLT, but I can tell you the one bedrooms at the newer DVC's (we stayed in one at the Grand Californian at Disneyland in CA) are beyond nice with the two bathrooms. Even with just two of you in there using the bathrooms, having two is priceless. While the decor may not be the warmest, that set up of those one bedrooms will spoil you!

All Disney resorts get bad reviews on Trip Advisor. I like TA and use the site and always put my own reviews on there after our WDW and DL stays. However, I find many TA users are all about the "what you get for your money". Many people like a resort fine, but since one of the critieria for ratings is for value, they honestly put that for the money it wasn't a great value. That brings the overal reviews down. Bottome line, many people who post on TA stay at Disney rarely or just once and they compare Disney resorts to other chains and can't over the "no free breakfast, no free wi fi, small rooms, high prices" issues and find them lacking.

To me and most other Disboard regulars, Disney resorts are so in a class all their own, that the issues that make them rate low on TA, don't bother us!

You will love the one bedroom, the closeness to MK and all the nearby dining at the other monorail resorts.

Say no more about needing your own unit, I loved my fil dearly but when we went to WDW with him, I spent more points and put him in a studio next to our unit, no way could we share. We had a great time because we had our own space!

Have a great trip!:goodvibes

We stayed there last May and it is hands down our favorite resort:cool1: I cant say enough good things about BLT. We were in a 1BR Bay Lake view on the 14th floor (I believe--highest floor we could). The 1BR is so roomy and the views were great. Make sure to ask for a high floor as I have heard others say the lower floors have obstructed views.
The walkway to the MK is wonderful. Especially with a stroller and little one. I have a link in my signature with pics of our BLT trip. We were also given the title of family of the day at check in, but we got access to the CL lounge in the CR for the whole stay...felt like family of the week instead:lmao:

We stayed in a lakeview studio in October 2009 and loved it. The studio was definitely tiny, but fine for just 2. The location and views were fabulous. Our view was looking out to the old Discovery Island. We enjoyed watching the boats and the EWP every night from our balcony. While everyone touts the "short walk" to MK, we ended up taking the monorail most of the time...just because we could!

We stayed last Aug and we LOVED it. The view was amazing and I loved the balcony. I have stayed at the Poly club level and by far BLT was much more amazing..

Me, DH and DD9 stayed at BLT in October and are staying there again in July for 10 days. The trip in October was a 1br MKV and this will be a 1br Lake View. We loved it. I gave my DD a choice of any of the resorts since last time we make a point of bringing her to all of them so she would know what each one offered and she chose BLT again. She loved it. Loved the pool. Loved walking to the Contemporary. We had a rental car and never used it the entire time we were there. We found the transportation with the choice of the monorial, park buses and walking to MK or monorail was very easy. We took the boat the VWL. My DH does not even want to try other resorts. We have stayed at BWV and I wanted to stay at BV this trip but DD & DH won out. I think you will have a great trip. Enjoy. :goodvibes

we are not dvc owners. we are renters however. we have stayed at BWV 2x and BCV 1x. We are staying next month at BLT for 9 nights.

Always stay in a one bedroom since there are 4 of us

SO EXCITED for BLT

Have read some bad reviews as well. Seems to be made up of mostly too many points (we booked a LV) and studios (which I hear are SMALL)

I have a feeling I am going to be blown away or at least hoping to be

Havent been to Disney in 2 years so Id probably be blown away and happy anywhere!!!! lol

Have fun on your trip!

We stayed there last May and it is hands down our favorite resort:cool1: I cant say enough good things about BLT. We were in a 1BR Bay Lake view on the 14th floor (I believe--highest floor we could). The 1BR is so roomy and the views were great. Make sure to ask for a high floor as I have heard others say the lower floors have obstructed views.
The walkway to the MK is wonderful. Especially with a stroller and little one. I have a link in my signature with pics of our BLT trip. We were also given the title of family of the day at check in, but we got access to the CL lounge in the CR for the whole stay...felt like family of the week instead:lmao:

I have never heard of this. How did you get that? Would love for that to happen to us in July.

Thank you thank you THANK you for all of your stories and input!

I agree with what everyone says- most of what you all told me is what I thought I would hear. But you all really made me feel much better about our trip.

And yes, it's a lot of points (thankfully, we have some to burn- because of my pregnancy we weren't able to travel as much, so I don't feel AS bad using them up for this trip)-
And yes, I am going to LOVE walking to MK. :wizard:
I will be happy with our LV one-bedrooms (score on the double bathroom! DH can stink his up all he wants :rotfl:) and as you mentioned, will request an upper level room. :woohoo:

I can't say I'm excited about the decor- but whatever.

I am super psyched to see both pools.

I LOVE DISBOARDS! Thank you so much! :dance3:

It's so nice reading so many positive reviews.:thumbsup2 We are really looking forward to our first stay at BLT in October.

I stayed there opening week, and I loved it. I got a really good deal on a one bedroom, and it was huge compared to the other one bedroom villas I've stayed in. I loved the open kitchen and the huge windows and having two full bathrooms.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat if I could get a similar deal on a one bedroom. However, when thinking about a studio I tend to end up at CR instead, because I can get a bigger room for the same (or less in the garden wing) cost.

I think you'll have a great stay!

Just had to chime in...We stayed last year, and I would definitely stay again. It's been my favorite so far in the 20 years that we have been going to WDW. We stayed in the 1 bdrm villa and requested the floor with the skybridge and got it! It was so convenient to the 4th floor of the CR that it was like staying at the CR too. We were 2 or 3 rooms from the skybridge walkway. Loved the BLT!

I think it is great, not as good as the Polynesian, but we were very happy with our new home resort this past fall.

It is kind of a pain to check in at the Contemporary, but the bellman are more than happy to assist you to your room.

Getting to Epcot is a little more of a hassel than when we stay at the Poly, but being able to walk to and from the MK is fabulous.

Here was our Bay Lake view from the room

canon10034.jpg

I love the whole vibe of the property and because I love hotels the highrise and decor was a huge selling point for me! The location and views are phenomenal and truly is it fair to judge the studios at max capacity when they're probably moreso designed for couples who don't want / need a full blown kitchen :confused3 I'm in that category?!

Anyway, I love the vibe of the resort....the food choices....and MK views are a happy place for this princess who loves travelling all over the world---Mickey's and otherwise! :cloud9:

we have stayed at blt in a studio two years ago. i thought the studio was a little small but nothing that was not bearable. we were there for 7 days and thought nothing about the size once we got use to it. the little kitchenette was nice but we did not really use it. we are going back there in nov for a 7 day stay and booked a 2 bedroom since there will be 7 of us. i have seen these in the past and know this will be plenty big for us. we love love love the location of this resort. nothing better the walking to the mk. the only real downside i have found is going to epcot from this resort. you have to take the monorail to the ttc and then hop to the other monorail from there. it is not horrible on the way to epcot but at night after the fireworks the lines are huge. we plan on taking a taxi back these days. in the end we really like this resort and i think you will like it as well

We've stayed at the CR tower 12/09, did a split stay 8/10 at AKV Jambo 1 bdrm and BLT 1 bdr lakeview. We enjoyed CR itself, LOVED AKV Jambo but was OK with BLT. I think the reason is that we are resort people; meaning the DVC resorts tend to be quieter, have more of a "condo" feel rather than a "resort" feel. Yes, all the resort amenities are available but you have to go to the actual resort to enjoy them. AKV Jambo was great b/c though they are DVC units that are actually in the main lodge. We visited AKV Kidani, and while quite lovely, again, it was quieter and more "condo" like. The kids really enjoyed the activities at the resorts but at BLT they felt "nickel and dimed" b/c we're not DVC members.

BLT itself is pretty, the pool is nice and exclusive, the rooms are new but felt the furniture and construction was "shoddy". Our unit's furniture were badly scuffed, there was a nail sticking through the corner of the carpet, etc. As convenient as it is to MK, I would probably not stay there again.

We stayed in a BLT studio May '10 and really liked it and would definately stay there again. I am not a fan of CR but oddly enough I really liked BLT. My only issues, which I think they might be fixing, is that the bathroom door was a sliding door and didn't shut all the way - there was a visible gap between the door frame and the door - and no lock on the door. I thought having the only sink be in the "kitchen part" was a little odd because you are brushing your teeth away from the bathroom. And if we wanted ice or drinks for our room we had to go up or down a few flights. There also seemed to be a big problem with lovebugs getting into the building and hanging all of the hall ceilings. Every morning we saw CMs vacuuming the ceiling. We live in FL so are used to lovebugs so while it was a little odd it wasn't a big deal.

We had a room that faced the lake and CR and on the same floor as the elevated walkway so we had a decent view. The kids (4 & 8 at that time) loved watching a movie outside on the grass and being able to watch the fireworks and then be back in our room within minutes was great. The kids loved the pool (it is a little small but the curly-q slide makes up for it) and, of course, being able to walk to MK was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter