Be Honest About Bay Lake Towers...

Goldilocks07

A rockin' mom and her sweet princess
Did we make the right choice? I mean, can anyone give me HONEST reviews on their stay? Would you go back? Or is it one of those "I'm glad we did it once but I would stay at another resort next time...." kind of places?

My DH, DD (will be 8 months at the time of travel) and parents are going to Disney the first week of November- we are staying at Bay Lake Towers-
We are excited to stay on a property with access to the Monorail. :yay: Typically we stay at AKL- (in the Main Lodge, not Kidani Village), which we are EXTREMELY happy with. Our only issue, is that we like to try all the other restaurants around Disney, and as you all know with AKL, it's a royal pain in the U KNOW WHAT to go off property to dine. We've spent a fortune in cabs getting back and forth (we don't rent a car while down there).

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor.com & other sites, it seems that BLT has gotten some negative feedback. I really don't want to go to Disney disappointed with our lodging experience (GASP!)-

Can you all please give me some honest feedback?
FYI- we will probably only hit the parks one day, and plan on hanging poolside and walking around the rest of our stay.
Thank you in advance!
:dance3:

Did we make the right choice? I mean, can anyone give me HONEST reviews on their stay? Would you go back? Or is it one of those "I'm glad we did it once but I would stay at another resort next time...." kind of places?

My DH, DD (will be 8 months at the time of travel) and parents are going to Disney the first week of November- we are staying at Bay Lake Towers-
We are excited to stay on a property with access to the Monorail. :yay: Typically we stay at AKL- (in the Main Lodge, not Kidani Village), which we are EXTREMELY happy with. Our only issue, is that we like to try all the other restaurants around Disney, and as you all know with AKL, it's a royal pain in the U KNOW WHAT to go off property to dine. We've spent a fortune in cabs getting back and forth (we don't rent a car while down there).

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor.com & other sites, it seems that BLT has gotten some negative feedback. I really don't want to go to Disney disappointed with our lodging experience (GASP!)-

Can you all please give me some honest feedback?
FYI- we will probably only hit the parks one day, and plan on hanging poolside and walking around the rest of our stay.
Thank you in advance!
:dance3:

I have never stayed there, but the decor isn't really to my tastes. But, I can't imagine that you'd be UNhappy there. It's the newest villa and it's on the monorail. What's not to like?

If you're not "sold" on it, how about Beach Club villas? I love that you can walk to Epcot in minutes, or to DHS in just a bit longer. I love the pool. I love the decor. The buses aren't too bad, I didn't think, to MK and AK.

Just a thought.

I have never stayed there, but the decor isn't really to my tastes. But, I can't imagine that you'd be UNhappy there. It's the newest villa and it's on the monorail. What's not to like?

If you're not "sold" on it, how about Beach Club villas? I love that you can walk to Epcot in minutes, or to DHS in just a bit longer. I love the pool. I love the decor. The buses aren't too bad, I didn't think, to MK and AK.

Just a thought.

I know, I was thinking the SAME thing. Is it possible to be UNhappy? I guess the reviews just scared me a little. And yeah, I agree- the decor leaves something to be desired. Not my fave. I really love the experience of the Disney-esque resorts. We are not the type of Disney people to be out all day- we really like to explore where we stay, and take advantage of what is on property.
We've stayed at the Boardwalk- that was ok, we enjoyed walking to EPCOT for sure.
I guess I am just excited to stay on the Monorail, but if that is the only reason to stay at BLT, is it worth it? ho hum.....

We stayed there once in a studio and really disliked it. But that was because the studio is very small IMHO. We liked the resort and would stay there again, but not in the studio.

The resort itself is very nice. We did not mind having to go over to the CR for meals and activities; we are CR fans and the bridge is convenient. We did not have a chance to check out the pool because we were only there for 2 nights.

The furnishings in the units are very modern but seem appropriate given the theme. The views are mostly good; we were in a 9th floor lake view room and were able to see EC fireworks and the Electrical Water Parade. And the convenience to the MK (and less so, EC with a monorail change) is excellent.

stayed there in a lake view studio that had a partial view of the castle. i've never stayed on the monorail before. i thought it was great. i loved being able to see the fireworks from my balcony and hear the train whistles in the morning. (i'm a DVC owner so i was able to visit the top of the world viewing area and enjoyed that also.)

only used the monorail to get to the TTC (to get to epcot) or another monorail hotel such as the GF...too easy to just walk to the MK.

i probably won't stay there again any time soon since it's expensive point- wise. but definitely had a great experience.

If you got a two bedroom villa, you will be fine. If you got a one bedroom villa, someone is going to be sleeping in the living room. But you will have two bathrooms - one in the master bedroom and on at the entrance.

BUT, if you are in a studio, you will be horribly crowded with four adults and one baby. You will have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. There will be almost nowhere to put the pack and play for the baby to sleep. Cancel the studio and get something larger.

AND, please, please don't plan on moving the furniture around. That's one of the reasons why there are negative reports. There has been multiple reports of damage to the villas.

By the way, it's Bay Lake Tower (there is only one tower).

We have stayed at AK twice and BLT once. ( have 3 mini trips booked at BLT for this year.)

BLT for us was just better! We liked the layout of the rooms better. (had a 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom stay... 2 bd was Magic K view , the 1 br was Lake view, but we could see the castle from our balcony).

My kids all like the pool better at BLT. being able to see the fireworks from our balcony.. another huge bonus.. this summer we are going to the roof.

Being able to walk to MK.. major bonus! :) and at night it is the first stop on the monorail. walking over to the Contemp to get breakfast was really easy too. (and we were in the section closest to the lake...furthest from CR).

Also my sons favorite place to eat is Chef Mickeys.. so again, another bonus for us.

Everyone has their own opinions.. but we are thrilled with BLT.

the only thing we do not like is BLT does not have its own check in desk, it has to be done at the Contemp.

I like AK, but I just dont "love " it. The rooms were a little dark for me..and I just like the feel of BLT better! :) ---I have always loved the atomsphere of the contemp.. .the shopping etc on the 4th floor.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom last July with my DH, DD, DSIL,Grandchildren 5 and 14. We loved it, a 10 minute walk to MK, and the monarail was a five minute walk to go to Epcot. Bus service was fine. The pool was good, could be bigger, but was easier to watch my youngest grandchild. The older one like the slide in the pool. The lounge at the top was great, quite but very nice.
Plenty of places to eat between contempory, MK, Polynesian, Wilderness lodge.
We stayed at AK last december and we really like it but did find the bus service was slow, could be the time of the year. Really liked Boma. stayed at SSR and we like that also, we are off to BayLake in 8 days, and BWV for a couple of days, we are trying all of the resorts.
The reason we bought into Bay Lake was for the convience of MK, after a long days a 10 minute walk is great.
I'm sure you will enjoy your stay afterall it is Disney.:dance3:

I have never stayed at BLT, but sometimes it is good to try something different. My husband and I consider WL our second home, but on our last trip we decided to switch it up so we stayed at BC. For that particular trip BC worked out well since we were there for Food & Wine, and were able to walk to Epcot (we went there 3 out of 5 days). However, after our trip we agreed that we still loved WL more, despite the more convenient location of BC. We would have never figured this out though if we hadn't tried a different resort. At some point in the future we want to try out the Contemporary, but probably not until we have children when the location and convenience are a lot more important.

I know, I was thinking the SAME thing. Is it possible to be UNhappy? I guess the reviews just scared me a little. And yeah, I agree- the decor leaves something to be desired. Not my fave. I really love the experience of the Disney-esque resorts. We are not the type of Disney people to be out all day- we really like to explore where we stay, and take advantage of what is on property.
We've stayed at the Boardwalk- that was ok, we enjoyed walking to EPCOT for sure.
I guess I am just excited to stay on the Monorail, but if that is the only reason to stay at BLT, is it worth it? ho hum.....

In our case, we decided that if the ONLY reason we were staying at BLT instead of BCV (which we really loved) was because of the monorail, then it really would NOT be worth it for us. The truth is that - for us - there's something so nice about being able to wind down a busy day by just leisurely strolling World Showcase at night after having dinner in one of the countries. We tend not to close the park down at MK so the transportation to MK wasn't as important to us as the transportation to Epcot and DHS.

I just think the (visual) lines at BLT are too severe and cold to me. I prefer a warmer decor.

Just a thought.

I agree about Beach Club. We're staying at BLT in Sept., and while we really like it there, if we were only doing 1 park day, we'd def. stay at Beach Club. The pool at BLT or CR are just very basic pools. There nice enough and my kids like the slide, but we only use the pool twice during our stays. If we were going to hang more at the resort, I'd def. pick Beach club- plus there's more to look at/walk around on the Boardwalk.

ETA: It's worth it to us to stay on the monorail, but we do parks basically every day. If we were only doing parks 1 or 2 days, then no, it wouldn't be worth it.

If you got a two bedroom villa, you will be fine. If you got a one bedroom villa, someone is going to be sleeping in the living room. But you will have two bathrooms - one in the master bedroom and on at the entrance.

BUT, if you are in a studio, you will be horribly crowded with four adults and one baby. You will have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. There will be almost nowhere to put the pack and play for the baby to sleep. Cancel the studio and get something larger.

AND, please, please don't plan on moving the furniture around. That's one of the reasons why there are negative reports. There has been multiple reports of damage to the villas.

By the way, it's Bay Lake Tower (there is only one tower).

HA. Yes, sorry about that. TOWER, not TOWER(S). Duh. Sorry, I have mommy-brain with an 8 week old. Funny, I actually typed it right the first time and then second-guessed myself.

Also, I should have pointed out that my DH, baby and myself are staying in a one-bedroom lake view, and I got my parents the same thing. So we will be in 2 separate rooms- total waste of points, maybe- but I can't have us in a 2 bedroom, even with the separation between the living room. It's a husband-inlaw thing. Ugh. :scared1:

...Also, I should have pointed out that my DH, baby and myself are staying in a one-bedroom lake view, and I got my parents the same thing. So we will be in 2 separate rooms- total waste of points, maybe- but I can't have us in a 2 bedroom, even with the separation between the living room. It's a husband-inlaw thing. Ugh. :scared1:

In that case you should be fine. Enjoy your trip at BLT, you'll have a wonderful time.

To the OP don't forget that the Monorail station is located on the 4th floor of the Contemporary, so you need to use the skybridge from Bay Lake Tower when going there. Plus the Contemporary is where you also check-in, Bell service, Valet service, their bus station is located there and all their restaurants and stores are located there.

I stayed at BLT last year for spring break and told myself it was a one-time thing (especially since it was the week before Easter, and oh my how many points I used on that). While I was there I did miss my walking access to Epcot and DHS from my usual BWV, but then I got home and realized that I really had a good time there. Good enough that I'm going back this summer! :goodvibes

I loved being able to walk to MK, watching the EWP from the room every night, and watching Wishes from the 4th floor observation deck or TOWL every night that I wasn't in the park watching them. I did however spend more time at the CR pool than the BLT pool. I liked the slide better over there, and I liked their "quiet pool," which was close enough for me to lay out there and then go over to the main pool and use the slide (like I do at BWV too).

I have stayed at BCV too, and for me I'd say it's a toss up between the two. I really like both.

I bought DVC there, and stayed there right after it opened.

Now I'm afraid of heights, so I would go down the elevator to the ground floor and then walk over to CR, then go up for the food court and the monorail.

So until I get over my fear of heights I won't be staying there for a while. It was a royal pain to do that every time I wanted food. :upsidedow

The one bedroom is really well done though - I loved the decor, the master shower, the extra bathroom, and the comforter on the master bed. It's a great resort IMO.

We have stayed there twice, and enjoyed both visits. We didn't find crossing the bridge to be too much of a hassle, in fact one time we were actually on the same floor so it was great. We will certainly return...

We LOVED the 2 bedroom we had, especially the way they have the living area between the bedrooms. Also enjoyed the 3 compelte bathrooms, and our view (standard) was a bonus because it opened up to the fountains outside and the sound was so peaceful as we looked out over the courtyard in front of the pools.

As long as we have little kids (and seeing as I am 32 weeks pregnant we got awhile!) we will continue to stay here for the space, convience to MK, and convience of having more of a condo with the amenities rather than a "hotel."

Thank you all SO very much for all the tips, pointers, and your very honest opinions!

I am definitely keeping my reservations- I mean, GEEZ...I know I'm going to have a good time! :love: I just get myself all worked up over the accommodations. :surfweb: (especially since I came across so many negative reviews).

I am looking forward to going there to relax- and being able to dine at my favorite restaurants without the hassle of paying for a cab. :yay:

Hey, and you know what? If it's not my cup of tea, I'll try another place next time! :dance3: And you KNOW there will be a next time!!!!

I will give you an honest opinion from a DVC member who owns points at BLT. It is not our favorite, in fact, it is our least favorite so far. You may be wondering why do we own points there....plain and simple we bought points due to location, location, location. We purchased into BLT before it ever opened, and we wanted the ease of being able to get to the MK with our future children.

We did stay there last October in a studio, and I was less then impressed. However, that is due to us always staying in 1BR, and I wanted to conserve points. Lessons learned, we will NEVER do that again. We had a room that was considered a Bay Lake View, but we could still see the fireworks every night. I know that I will probably get flamed, but you asked for an honest review. Our personal fav's as far as DVC is OKW or SSR. Crazy, but we enjoy not feeling any stress and like a home away from home, but that is just our tastes.

Even though it does sound like I am being harsh, we didn't have a new child, and I think you will really like the close proximity to the MK. No matter where you stay, at least you are at the happy place!! Have an awesome vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter