Be a Disney 'futurist' for a minute . . . what does DVC and a Disney vacation look like in 10 years

Mickey of the Villages

Can't have nice things
With changes to DVC and significant increases to prices where do you think it will all be in 10 years . . .

Will Disney become a more expensive, less accessible, Nordstrom-of-theme-parks with much higher priced offerings and targeting wealthier vacationers?

Will DVC turn into a pre-Riviera and post Riviera universe?

Or is this all much ado about nothing and it will bump along much like it has since 9/11 - rising and falling with the economic strength of the middle class in the U.S.?

Curious to know what you think.

fu·tur·ist
/ˈfyo͞oCHərəst/
noun
  1. 1.
    an adherent of Futurism.
  2. 2.
    a person who studies the future and makes predictions about it based on current trends.

If the economy tanks, we'll see similar measures like we saw after 9/11, new resorts put on hold, shorter theme park hours, lower crowd levels and special ticket pricing.

If the economy holds, we'll see price increases like we have seen for the last few years.

Riviera will a test resort factoring in whether DVC changes or not....in fact, I would expect the resale restrictions (if it doesn't severely impact direct sales) to be included in all new DVC resorts.

As soon as you said futurist, this popped in my head.
I log into my future MDE account to make my reservation. I pay a boat load and a half of money. Then I get the family together, and we put on our virtual reality headsets in preparation. Once our reservation time has arrived, we are zoomed into the park of our choice. We wander around virtually for the number of hours we've paid for, virtually riding the rides (we paid extra for) until the reservation time is up. Then we take off our headsets and start saving for next year's vacation.

Hopefully that scenario will never come to pass, but with prices rising the way they have recently, it may be the only way many of us can get our Disney fix

Disney, and every other corporation, will adjust to market turns.
Since they are "pricing themselves out of the market" and park attendance just rises and rises lol.
I don't see a price freeze.
They will finish Tron, SWGE, the epcot overhaul and then celebtrate 50.

After that I see an expansion in Tomorrow Land.

Perhaps some monsters inc world in the studios, taking over the RR Coaster.

I do not see Disney pricing themselves to an a point where they are targeting only the very wealthy. They need critical mass to sell merchandise to.

Then, the world population continues to grow, as does park attendance and they realize they have to handle it, so significant park expansion or a 5th gate. (They have bought thousands of acres of land this year for something). - this I see more as 10 years out.

Then, after all of this, the new Monorails arrive!

Unless there is a serious change in the economy for a protracted period of time prices are going to keep going up.
DVC was originally a way for families to have an affordable on-property experience with members coming your after year spending additional sums in the parks. That has changed, the cost of direct and associated resale points are going to continue to rise. The cost of attending the parks will continue to rise. Ticket process, parking, food, merchandise will continue to go up and up in price. Just look at SWGE, $200.00 for a light saber that once you get home will more than likely be relegated to the back of a closet over time. Disney as well as DVC will become an entertainment venue for the affluent. Unless Disney has an issue filling rooms, which does not appear likely, new resorts DVC and Non will continue to be built. The masses will continue to come even if that means saving for a special vacation. The steady stream of magic band wearing, cash spending, visitors will continue resulting in the need for and eventual construction of a fifth gate. As far as DVC goes, the price per point and points per room will continue to rise. Between rule changes and resorts coming to end-of-life and being reborn as well as ROFR Disney will probably take ownership of the resale market. And they will be opening a new Mickey Bank on Main Street to house all of the monies they are taking in.

An "ishy" prediction....

WDW, if they have decent Management, will continue to walk a fine line between "crowd level", and "price".

Really, as a Public Company? It's all about Bottom Line Income. Someplace between 2 people per day at $10 Million each, and 20 million per day at $1 each, is a balance. Add in the "WDW toys", housing, maintenance...

This is why executives get PAID. It's a really NASTY calculation. Screw up? You're fired.

To boot? Stable economy? No one bombs us? It gets very tricky :(.

I CAN predict one thing. WDW, as a Public Company, has ONE MISSION: MAXIMIZE Stockholder Return.
Did anyone see anything about being "fair" to families, kind to Kittens, in that REAL Mission Statement? I did not.

Folks - all opinion... Walt is no longer with us. This is a PUBLIC COMPANY. Their mission is clear: MAXIMIZE Stockholder Return. I wish this were different - but that REAL Mission Statement will let you predict what will REALLY occur.

An "ishy" prediction....

WDW, if they have decent Management, will continue to walk a fine line between "crowd level", and "price".

Really, as a Public Company? It's all about Bottom Line Income. Someplace between 2 people per day at $10 Million each, and 20 million per day at $1 each, is a balance. Add in the "WDW toys", housing, maintenance...

This is why executives get PAID. It's a really NASTY calculation. Screw up? You're fired.

To boot? Stable economy? No one bombs us? It gets very tricky :(.

I CAN predict one thing. WDW, as a Public Company, has ONE MISSION: MAXIMIZE Stockholder Return.
Did anyone see anything about being "fair" to families, kind to Kittens, in that REAL Mission Statement? I did not.

Folks - all opinion... Walt is no longer with us. This is a PUBLIC COMPANY. Their mission is clear: MAXIMIZE Stockholder Return. I wish this were different - but that REAL Mission Statement will let you predict what will REALLY occur.
Even if Walt were still with us, it would still be a public company answerable to Wall Street investment fund managers wanting maximum profit.

Nordstrom is flailing... hopefully, Disney doesn’t overplay their hand as well. That’s my prediction. Disney will have some difficult times ahead.

Nordstrom is flailing... hopefully, Disney doesn’t overplay their hand as well. That’s my prediction. Disney will have some difficult times ahead.
Sadly, many investment gurus don;t seem to care about long term viability, they want big profits NOW, as that is what their bonuses are based upon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!