Bay Lake Tower vs Polynesian

Nemo32

DIS Veteran
Hi there! I'm doing a split stay on DVC points in October 2017. Currently I'm at SSR and AKV. Thursday is our 7 month mark (yay!) so switching from SSR.

I'm torn between BLT and Poly. I've stayed at BLT before, but DBF hasn't. We both haven't stayed at Poly. He would be happy at POP, but I want some WOW factors and to be on the monorail.

While we go to the parks a lot, I do want to enjoy the resort this time around and do want great theming and fun activities.

I would appreciate any thoughts on both. Commute time to parks is important to us as are dining options, amenities and theme.

Thanks!!

If neither of you have stayed at Poly, I'd choose that, hands-down. I'm a die-hard Poly lover, but stayed at CR when the Poly was undergoing major construction. I really liked CR, but when it comes to overall ambience and theming, inside and out, I don't think BLT or CR compares to the Poly. The music, the torches, the whole tropical, laid-back vibe just feels so magical. Plus, monorail to MK, walk to TTC, and boat to MK are all great transportation options. Ohana and Kona Cafe are both pretty darn good, and if you enjoy adult beverages, you can't beat Trader Sam's or the Tambu Lounge (or the pool bars!). :)

I'm guessing that you are looking at a BLT studio which is much smaller than the Polynesian studio (unless you are booking a bungalow). You can walk to the MK from BLT and you'll need to take the monorail or a boat to the MK from the Polynesian. But you can walk over to the TTC from the Polynesian and catch the monorail to Epcot. At BLT you'll need to take the monorail to the TTC and then switch to the Epcot monorail there.

If neither of you have stayed at Poly, I'd choose that, hands-down. I'm a die-hard Poly lover, but stayed at CR when the Poly was undergoing major construction. I really liked CR, but when it comes to overall ambience and theming, inside and out, I don't think BLT or CR compares to the Poly. The music, the torches, the whole tropical, laid-back vibe just feels so magical. Plus, monorail to MK, walk to TTC, and boat to MK are all great transportation options. Ohana and Kona Cafe are both pretty darn good, and if you enjoy adult beverages, you can't beat Trader Sam's or the Tambu Lounge (or the pool bars!). :)

I agree! The Poly would be my choice, too! It is a very special, magical resort!

LOTS of WOW!!!

Enjoy!

I've stayed at BLT twice and really enjoyed it, but unless walking to/from magic kingdom is hugely important, I'd say poly. But then again, poly is on my disney bucket list

Poly hands down. I love that resort. It's beautiful, tropical and gives me a relaxing vibe. Blt whike convenient, doesn't have the wow factor to me. I feel likeI could be staying at a hotel anywhere there. The grounds are also just meh to me. I prefer the tropical atmosphere. We're staying BC this time and I'm actually afraid we won't love it. We're only staying there for SAB for the kids.

Good luck. I switched from SSR at 7 last year and had to waitlist some of my days.

I'll go the other direction of everyone else and say BLT. I've never stayed at Poly, but visited it and didn't like it. I don't like that the buildings aren't attached to the main building and I'm not a fan of the theme. I've stayed at BLT and thought it was really beautiful and it's really cool to be that close to Magic Kingdom to see the fireworks from the top of the building its a unique experience.

I would prefer to stay at BLT also, but when you ask for theme, I chose Poly. We also love that BLT has a member pool with a waterslide- I think its the only one?

Thank you for all of the feedback! We are leaning toward Poly for the theme and immersive vibe. I've stayed at BLT, and while convenient with amazing views, am really interested in the atmosphere at Poly, pool, beverage options and walking distance to TTC for Epcot monorail. Fingers crossed it's still available come Thursday, but if not, we will be just as happy at BLT...can you not be when in WDW? Thanks again!!!

I'd go Poly. For some reason, we liked the CR itself, but were underwhelmed with BLT in general.

We've not stayed DVC at Poly, but saw the studios and they are beautiful (much better than regular resort rooms in our opinion).

The theming is obviously ridiculous (in a good way) at Poly and transportation-wise, they both have their benefits. If you're spending more time at MK than any other park, BLT would edge out, but if Epcot figures heavily into your plans, I'd go Poly as you can walk directly to TTC and board the monorail, whereas, at BLT, you have to ride to TTC then switch, and on the way back, switch, then go to Poly, GF, MK and finally CR. If you choose Poly, I'd monorail to MK and boat back when possible.

In terms of food, Poly wins. The one exception at CR is California Grill, but all the restaurants (don't forget Trader Sam's) are a big win at Poly.

For pools, it's a tossup. The CR pool is our least favorite on property, but the BLT one is pretty neat, and at the Poly, the main pool is very crowded, but the quiet pool is really, really lovely, especially at night!

I know this is a bit all over the place, but I hope it helps!

I'd choose the Polynesian. I've stayed at BLT and it just seems like a regular hotel that you'd find just about anywhere to me.

All of this is helpful!!

We plan to be at Epcot a lot for F&W, so easy monorail access there is needed. We have done BWV many times before, so didn't opt for that and don't mind the longer commute for F&W. We are also hoping to "smell the roses" this time and will definitely be spending some time at the pool, so Poly's is a big plus. Hoping to dine at California Grill, but that's just a monorail ride away from Poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter