Backlot Express Restaurant - Reviews

Cyrano

DIS Veteran
This counter service restaurant is located in the Backlot.
It is a large restaurant with a great array of movie memorabilia.
For a look at the restaurant press here

Link to other restaurant reviews :)

Okay as previously announced we are hoping the boards can help :goodvibes If you have photographs of the restaurant and the food. If you have eaten here and can write a review. Even a couple of lines of what you liked, things to watch out for.. would be appreciated if you posted below :)

They do a great hot cheese and mushroom toastie!

It also gets extra points for having a Speeder Bike (Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi) hanging from the ceiling.

No real meal here, we just used it for an afternoon break and each got one of these "Tea Time" deals advertised at most counter service restaurants in both parks (not at the Main Street Bakery, though!). It is one hot drink and a Mickey Brioche:

DSC01962.jpg

(the water bottle was an additional purchase!) The brioche was great for dipping in the cafe au lait. Surprisingly it was filled with nutella.

DSC01965.jpg

At first this was rather nice, but it became very overpowering with the time. Nonetheless, all three of us finished our brioche and enjoyed it.

I can't comment on the other food there, but actually the Backlot Express looked like a nice place for lunch, too. It has one huge advantage of many other restaurants: it is very light and airy in there. I always wonder why Disney makes you eat in places that are so badly lit, so this was a nice change! Also the decoration is interesting as it is the storage facilities for all kind of props you use when filming.

A lot of the counter service places seem to be doing similar to this and having a menu to mix and match as you want although in most of them you can buy individual items as well.

Copy2ofDSC06069.jpg

Thanks to recommendations from DIS'ers :), I finally ate here, at lunchtime on Tuesday 12th May.
The restaurant was very very quiet, I liked the cafeteria style of this place though, you can either choose a meal deal, or you can just choose what you like and pay for each item. You take it from the serving area, and then pay for it at the cashier.

I had an adult meal deal, with a croque monsieur, trio of little muffins, crisps, and a drink. DD had a childs meal deal, with a cheese sandwich, chocolate brownie, crisps, and a drink. The adult meal deal was 11.95 euros, childs 6 euros. It was all very filling and tasty, and in fact we took most of it away to snack on during the afternoon ;).

We ate our lunch overlooking the parade route outside Armageddon, and saw Goofy and Pluto larking about right outside the window :goodvibes.

I'm really glad I tried this restaurant, and I will be back :thumbsup2

There is a band that plays here at select times during the day also, and they are excellent! :)

We ate here on Tuesday March 2nd 2010 using our free meals lunch vouchers.
We kind of mixed and matched so i'll list what we had and whether it was good...
Croque Monsiurs (?) were great, very tasty, a real comfort food.
Ham and cheese sandwich were unbuttered (DD was not happy!) and hard as nails.
The ham and cheese gratin was ok, it was a bit bland.
Cheese sandwich was also very tough and hard to chew
Mini doughnuts were great, the apple one especially.
The fruit salad was lovely and fresh and the red berrie coulis was yummy.
The mickey brioche were nice if a little too rich and heavy.

Definately our least favourite choice of all our meals. The restaurant looked like a canteen and wasnt too inspiring.

kizzabel, thanks for posting your recent restaurant experiences, especially with the free vouchers. :thumbsup2
Is this the restaurant now called Blockbuster Cafe?

yes, its next to restaurant des stars (which im sorry we didnt try instead) and near armageddon. :thumbsup2 for the most part the free meals vouchers meant eating off the half board voucher part of the menu. its a great offer and saved us a small fortune!

As at mid March 2010. We didn't get to eat here in the end so I can't comment on the food.

DisneylandParisMarch2010766.jpg

DisneylandParisMarch2010767.jpg

DisneylandParisMarch2010764.jpg

DisneylandParisMarch2010765.jpg

We ate here on the 17th March and loved the themeing of the restaurant!

1zyabuo.jpg

Myself and my youngest son are massive HSM fans, so to sit in what feels like East High Cafeteria was a real treat for us!

9srvh5.jpg

They were playing HSM songs and I had to hold myself back from singing and dancing my way round the tables! :rotfl:

34xgfnc.jpg

We used our free lunch vouchers and all had the set lunch meals.

Myself and Jaime had Croque Monsieur, crisps, triple pack of mini muffins & drink (11.95euros each)

2ynneps.jpg

We found the Croque Monsieur were enough to eat for lunch so the rest went in the backpack to be used for snacks later. I had heard about Croque Monsiers before going to DLP and wanted to try them. They are just like a massive cheese and ham toastie, very tasty though!

The kids had ham / cheese sandwiches, crisps, chocolate brownies & drink (which I think was about 5euros?)

2jh5ed.jpg

Not much to report on the kids meals, nothing special, but again the sandwich was more than enough so their crisps and cakes went in the backpack as snacks for later.

2n060rq.jpg

I would eat here again just for the theming as I love HSM.

we ate here in march using our free dining vouchers.

we got two adults meals and a cornetto for ash which i paid three euros for.

we got croque monsieurs, crisps, two drinks, a yoghurt and a trio of beignets

i honestly wouldnt pay 11.35 for this. i dont know if we were unlucky but the croques were horrible and soggy. there was a queue of people waiting for them so i dont know if they were taken out of the oven too soon or what but they were not nice. i only ate the crust. the only good point was meeting jack sparrow

We ate here on Friday 30th July. We had a bit of a battle over which part to sit in and eat, with my hubby wanting to stay in the HSM(!!??) part however Pirates won!!

IMGP0368.jpg

We paid about 11euros each and got either Croc M's or baguettes, a drink( i opted for a can of apple juice, a bag of crisps( only plain available no other flavours) and a dessert..which is where I got a gorgeous strawberry tart!!
the kids meal was similar, with Wil having icecream for his dessert and a ham sandwich.
It filled us up and for lunch did he job perfectly. The themeing was great in the pirates bit with lots of music and atmosphere. It also was not very busy at all and we just walked straight in and had our pick of tables, this was about 12pmish.

IMGP0367.jpg

We ate here twice during our stay in November 2010. The first time we sat in the Pirates side. We couldn't find a highchair anywhere so I asked a CM & they said they were all being used so I walked around the whole restaurant and there were only 3 chairs for the whole restaurant. I asked the CM if there were any more and she just told me to sit my DD in her buggy to eat.
Apart from that the food was very nice. We had
Bruschetta with tomato for 6.50
Salami & Mozzarella Bagette 6.00
2 bottles of Cherry coke for 2.50 per bottle.

The second time we sat in the HSM side and we ordered
salami & mozzarella bagette 6.00 (DH really like it the first time round)
Ham & Potato Gratin 6.00
2 bottles of Cherry Coke for 2.50 per bottle

It was very quiet both times we ate in there & didn't have to queue at all.

Only had hot chocolate and tea to drink in here but the food did look good, loved the theming clean , warm and comfortable. visited on 18th and 19th of jan 2011 . x would try some food next time x

We ate in the Blockbuster Cafe on Tuesday 8th February at 1.19pm.With 2 boys we sat in the pirates side and stayed well away from the HSM side :rotfl2:
Minnie was doing a meet and greet in the HSM side and there was a band playing live music

We had 2 croque monsieurs and 2 bottles of coke and split it between the 4 of us ....E17

Picture121.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Picture127.jpg

It was quiet with lots of free tables and I was served very very quickly.The croques were delicious hot and tasty

We rated this 4 out of 5

We ate here on Thursday 23rd June 2011. I was looking forward to this restaurant anyway because of the Pirates theming (Me and friend are big Pirates fans).

We both had the €12.99 set menu. I got a Crouque-Monsieur, packet of crisps, chocolate cake and a coke. My friend got the mushroom version of the Crouque-Monsieur, crisps, chocolate cake and iced tea.
It was so simple to order your food, you went up to the counter and the food was sitting out and all you had to do was lift it. And they were very clear as to which items you could take for each of the menus. After you went back to the till and paid.

So we sat on the Pirates side just by the window and I really do think it was one of the best counter service meals I had at DLP. They had Pirates music playing so we were both humming away while eating our yummy food!! :cloud9:

SAM_1591.jpg

SAM_1593.jpg

Just a wee ps: I thought they didn't do the mushroom version anymore? I was very surprised to see it but I'm sure there are pepole happy to see it :goodvibes

We ate here on Wednesday 27 July at about 2pm.

Large counter area for you to help yourself, which is quick and handy to give you a chance to see what you're getting.

We shared 3 Croques, a muffin, corneto and 3 cokes between us. Total bill 35E. We were also give vouchers for free drinks later in the day at some restaurants in the main park, which later saved us 8.20E :thumbsup2

We sat in the Pirates area and it was a nice place to eat. It was busy, but still very spacious and we were served quickly. The croques are lovely. I also noticed they had sandwiches and salad/fruit.

All enjoyed our meal and agreed we will go back again. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!