Background check protocol--UPDATE -- I GOT IT!

jobhunter

Mouseketeer
I recently had two job interviews. Job A, I had an interview with a recruiter. A week later, I went in for an interview with the hiring manager and his team. While I was there and the security guard was checking for my name on the list I saw the name of an internal candidate, so I know I was up against at least one internal person. This company likes to hire internally but also frequently hires from outside. I am highly qualified for this position. The interview went really well and I heard from a contact of mine who is in this group and was in on the interview that I had made a great impression. Fast forward to last week, the recruiter asked for my permission to run a background check. There was NO offer, just that I was a finalist and that the recruiter would be back in touch when it returned. (It's still out there)

Job B, I had a phone interview, then an in-person interview with two people. I did not think I did that well, partly because I realized halfway through that I did not want it. I sent thank you notes and the hiring manager actually responded to thank me. They were supposed to give me an answer at the end of June, however, on Friday they made me a conditional offer in advance of a background check. I feel bad about turning this one down because they are so enthusiastic about me, but I really don't want this one (I have a job currently so I am not desperate).

So my question is, this is two very different approaches. In your business experience, is it likely that Job A is planning to hire the internal candidate but is checking me anyway? That would be really mean because I DO want that job. I will pass the check--I haven't even had a speeding ticket in 20 years. I understand from online chatter that a drug test is next, and I will pass that too, but it will really really suck if I jump through those hoops and not get an offer because they are background checking the internal person and some others, too and it's just policy to check everyone.

Your thoughts? I can't ask my contact anything--it would put her in an awkward spot.

That would be really mean because I DO want that job.
It's not mean, it's a business practice and they told you were a finalist, not that you were the candidate that an offer would be made to. It is hard to say who they intend to hire. There are probably a number of factors being considered but an internal candidate could very well have an edge.

So my question is, this is two very different approaches. In your business experience, is it likely that Job A is planning to hire the internal candidate but is checking me anyway? That would be really mean because I DO want that job. I will pass the check--I haven't even had a speeding ticket in 20 years. I understand from online chatter that a drug test is next, and I will pass that too, but it will really really suck if I jump through those hoops and not get an offer because they are background checking the internal person and some others, too and it's just policy to check everyone.

Obviously you have no way of knowing. I've been in interviews where they were certainly professional about it, but I got the sense that I wasn't seriously being considered. I've seen job listings that contained a disclaimer that it was public posted to conform to requirements to hire an H1-B candidate. In some of my interviews I suspected that I was among several interviewees who were interviewed to just go through the ropes even thous they already had someone they planned on hiring.

Most companies would not spend the money on a background check if they had no intention of considering you for the position at all.

That said, if this is being done at the finalist stage, then I am sure it is only one of a number of factors still under consideration.

It is not "mean" for a company to want all the facts while they consider who is the best fit for them, nor is it maen if they eventually choose not to make you an offer.

If you have no intention of taking the other company up on their offer, be upfront about that with them now so they can move on and find another good canidate without lost time or spending money on a background check.

I'd accept job B unless you are ok with letting it go and staying where you are. I would not bank on job A if there's an internal applicant. Not saying it can't/won't happen but I think the odds are worse.

PS. nothing is "mean" about the job A situation. Everyone REALLY wants the job. So, just hope for the best and do what you need to do.

Most companies would not spend the money on a background check if they had no intention of considering you for the position at all.

That said, if this is being done at the finalist stage, then I am sure it is only one of a number of factors still under consideration.

It is not "mean" for a company to want all the facts while they consider who is the best fit for them, nor is it maen if they eventually choose not to make you an offer.

If you have no intention of taking the other company up on their offer, be upfront about that with them now so they can move on and find another good canidate without lost time or spending money on a background check.

Well, of course. I already did that.

I'd accept job B unless you are ok with letting it go and staying where you are. I would not bank on job A if there's an internal applicant. Not saying it can't/won't happen but I think the odds are worse.

PS. nothing is "mean" about the job A situation. Everyone REALLY wants the job. So, just hope for the best and do what you need to do.

I already turned job B down. I don't want it.

I agree with this. If you'd be bummed to stay where you are, take job B. If you're so inclined, you could go back to Job A and say "I've been given another offer that I must respond to by X date...I truly want to work for your company if given the opportunity, do you think you will have made a decision by that date?"

Here's my take.

Job A - you said they like to promote from within. Well, if there's someone internally that applied for the job you wanted, it's theirs (more than likely since they're already "in"). What you are more than likely being screened for is a conditional offer on the position that the internal candidate would be leaving (to go to the job that you hope you get).

It may take some time however because they would have to post that job, then take bids/applications on that and again, if someone internal goes for it, you'd be pushed further down through.

This may be what's happening, it may not. I know in the past few places I've been, this is how it's worked.

Everyone seems to be getting hung on the "mean" and I realize I was taking it personally and mean is a silly word choice for a business situation. I guess my question should have been, Do companies usually spend money to background check more than one person before an offer is made? The other company made the offer first. That is the contrast and that is what I should have phrased better. All of the other jobs I have had have made a conditional offer first and I was wondering is this the new trend now. Could have phrased that a lot better.

Ahhh, good idea except I already turned it down so I would feel dishonest. Should have asked here first. :)

Here's my take.

Job A - you said they like to promote from within. Well, if there's someone internally that applied for the job you wanted, it's theirs (more than likely since they're already "in"). What you are more than likely being screened for is a conditional offer on the position that the internal candidate would be leaving (to go to the job that you hope you get).

It may take some time however because they would have to post that job, then take bids/applications on that and again, if someone internal goes for it, you'd be pushed further down through.

This may be what's happening, it may not. I know in the past few places I've been, this is how it's worked.

Ahhh, that is interesting. I am not qualified for the position the internal candidate is leaving though--it will be a lateral move for them but different sides of the business if that makes sense. But maybe they liked me well enough they will encourage me to apply again and then I will have done the red tape.

Ahhh, that is interesting. I am not qualified for the position the internal candidate is leaving though--it will be a lateral move for them but different sides of the business if that makes sense. But maybe they liked me well enough they will encourage me to apply again and then I will have done the red tape.

Well, I'll use my current employer.

When I applied, I went through a phone screen, then an in-person interview, then drug screen, then candidate pool. The candidate pool was a waiting game. They held your name and info and if something came available in the dept. you wanted, they would call and offer it.

Being on the inside now, they post internally and open the job for bids. If they get bids, they interview internally. If they don't get anyone to fill a vacancy, they then post it externally following the protocol listed above.

Every company does their hiring thing a bit different. My prior employer, they liked hiring for certain positions from the outside and NOT internally (even though they tout promoting from within and that they want everyone to move up).

Well, I'll use my current employer.

When I applied, I went through a phone screen, then an in-person interview, then drug screen, then candidate pool. The candidate pool was a waiting game. They held your name and info and if something came available in the dept. you wanted, they would call and offer it.

Being on the inside now, they post internally and open the job for bids. If they get bids, they interview internally. If they don't get anyone to fill a vacancy, they then post it externally following the protocol listed above.

Every company does their hiring thing a bit different. My prior employer, they liked hiring for certain positions from the outside and NOT internally (even though they tout promoting from within and that they want everyone to move up).

Thank you, that is very interesting. It seems to just be very specific from company to company and possibly also depends on the size of the company and the number of employees making some have to be more procedurally regimented than others. The company I did get an offer from is almost impossible to get in from the outside, it gets called the Mafia sometimes. :) And they have way more employees in the thousands than the company I do want to work at. So I just thought it was interesting they wanted to offer conditionally first. Of course that could be because Company A knows they are not hiring me but has to satisfy some protocol or is thinking that down the road, they may want me. Who knows? It's out of my hands now. Thank you for the info!

Thank you, that is very interesting. It seems to just be very specific from company to company and possibly also depends on the size of the company and the number of employees making some have to be more procedurally regimented than others. The company I did get an offer from is almost impossible to get in from the outside, it gets called the Mafia sometimes. :) And they have way more employees in the thousands than the company I do want to work at. So I just thought it was interesting they wanted to offer conditionally first. Of course that could be because Company A knows they are not hiring me but has to satisfy some protocol or is thinking that down the road, they may want me. Who knows? It's out of my hands now. Thank you for the info!

With how you're describing things, I see a few options. Potentially you could be in a position to step in and overtake someone already in the company. You could also, like I said earlier, be in a position that you'll be offered a different role from what you applied, but still within the company. Or like you said, they're treating everyone with the same protocols regardless and that info will then stay on file for 90 days or whatever they determine to be good for the life of a drug screen to them.

I'm gonna stick with my initial response of the internal candidate getting the job, but who knows, things happen in weird ways nowadays.

Here's my take.

Not necessarily - every company has different policies and the OP has no way to second-guess them. Ours, for instance, absolutely requires that any opening be posted internally before the general competition opens. But here's the thing - if an internal candidate was available, qualified and interested, there wouldn't be any general competition. And in the specific case of our company, we know the strengths and weaknesses of each employee. There aren't generally people that would be suitable for positions other than the one they already have. Any internal candidates will absolutely get an interview but interviewing them almost always turns out to be a courtesy and formality (to satisfy our HR policies) only. OP, I think you still have a very real chance at Job A. All kinds of things could be delaying the decision. Be patient and wait for word from the company. Oh, and go ahead and decline Job B. You don't want that one anyway and you for sure don't want it posing any kind of dilemma for you when/if you get the offer from Job A. :wave2:

Not necessarily - every company has different policies and the OP has no way to second-guess them. Ours, for instance, absolutely requires that any opening be posted internally before the general competition opens. But here's the thing - if an internal candidate was available, qualified and interested, there wouldn't be any general competition. And in the specific case of our company, we know the strengths and weaknesses of each employee. There aren't generally people that would be suitable for positions other than the one they already have. Any internal candidates will absolutely get an interview but interviewing them almost always turns out to be a courtesy and formality (to satisfy our HR policies) only. OP, I think you still have a very real chance at Job A. All kinds of things could be delaying the decision. Be patient and wait for word from the company. Oh, and go ahead and decline Job B. You don't want that one anyway and you for sure don't want it posing any kind of dilemma for you when/if you get the offer from Job A. :wave2:

As I've said myself, every company is different. Priority normally goes to those internally. Also... keep in mind that the OP has a contact on the inside with this. So, he may be getting a little bit of help because of his contact.

Again, we don't know.

I went from my past experiences and I didn't shut out anyone else's opinions either, so there's no need to chime in about how my option may not necessarily be true.

With the last job I interviewed for, they started the background check process before I even had my final interview. Since background checks can sometimes take a bit of time, they liked to have those going into that final round started to not hold up the process at the end. Same with the job before that since we needed to clear their security procedures.

As I've said myself, every company is different. Priority normally goes to those internally. Also... keep in mind that the OP has a contact on the inside with this. So, he may be getting a little bit of help because of his contact.

Again, we don't know.

I went from my past experiences and I didn't shut out anyone else's opinions either, so there's no need to chime in about how my option may not necessarily be true.
:rolleyes: It's not about you. It's another take for the OP to consider. But FTR, your opinion may not be "true". Mine may not be either. True is actually a weird term to be using here. They are opinions, or our best guesses about what's actually going on. There's no way for either of us, or the OP to know for sure.

:rolleyes: It's not about you. It's another take for the OP to consider. But FTR, your opinion may not be true. Mine may not be either. They are opinions, or our best guesses about what's actually going on. There's no way for either of us, or the OP to know for sure.

If I were the OP, I'd get in contact with the contact and see how they handle such situations... That might go a long way as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter