Back to the Med Greece/Turkey in 2013! Complete!

are you flying and stopping in the NE on the way? We'll probably leave Thursday 6/13 to arrive morning of the 14th.

No time to. We'll leave the afternoon of the 12th and get in the evening of the 13th. Remember...no direct flights from here at all. And...a 9 hour time difference to overcome...It worked out well last time to do it this way. We were pretty well fully adjusted by the time we got on the ship!

It doesn't help that I work at the Mall of America - I walk past cute clothing every day so it's dangerous.

Sigh. It takes me an hour and a half to drive to my favorite mall.....there's an Old Navy 30 minutes away, but their summer clothes aren't high on my list of must-wears. Jeans, sure, but after a certain age some people just shouldn't be wearing their stuff.

Yeah, Tunis wasn't a place I was really looking forward to visiting but with a chance to see Carthage I was excited. I am glad Turkey is the only Arab country on the list and if you haven't been to an Arab country before, do some reading or talk with someone who has. Turkey is very progressive and the area we will be at is safe for tourist and women but they look at both differently than Westerners. I can say that when I was there before everyone was very friendly and I had no issues.

Turkey is not an Arab country. Less than 2% of the population are Arabs, they don't speak arabic, it's not on the Arabic peninsula.
There are a lot of muslim dominated countries that are not arabic.

I'm only writing that because I know from personal experience, that many people in those countries are very proud of their roots and are hurt by misconceptions.

Turkey is not an Arab country. Less than 2% of the population are Arabs, they don't speak arabic, it's not on the Arabic peninsula.
QUOTE]

Thank you for your clarification. While it is in fact not on the peninsula, it does, however, border Syria, where I believe most of Turkish citizens of Arabic descent tend to live. Lostboysean likely meant to use Muslim in lieu of Arabic. Or not. He'll chime in if I'm wrong. But based on the reasons he was there in the first place, his exposure to Turkey was more likely on this southern border than the northwestern area we'll be visiting this go-round. No offense or insult was implied. One of the things that impressed us the most on our visit to Tunis was how educated as a whole the part of their society we were was exposed to is.

I hope nobody is offended by my post, but years ago I thought that people in Iran were arabic and that didn't go down well with an Irani who was perfectly polite but still managed to make me feel like an idiot.
It was embarassing so I thought I'd better write something, I hope I didn't come across condescending.

I hope nobody is offended by my post, but years ago I thought that people in Iran were arabic and that didn't go down well with an Irani who was perfectly polite but still managed to make me feel like an idiot.
It was embarassing so I thought I'd better write something, I hope I didn't come across condescending.

No offense taken! In fact, I went an did a little demographics research to get a better understanding. I've travelled off the continent of North America a grand total of once. In no way am I a seasoned traveller. I do, however, love to chat about my experiences. I see that you're from Austria, so any pearls of wisdom about travel within Europe would be most appreciated!!

And, as part of my above research, I let myself along another tangent (squirrel........): Fact of the day (not that I'll do this on any regular basis) Turkish tour guides are mandated by law to undergo several years of training in order to get an official license so as to practice their craft!

Why, you ask, is this important or even interesting? Go back a few pages and I answered a question briefly about our private tour in Rome. We hired a driver, not realizing that Italy also requires their tour guides to be licensed. Why does this apply to us? Well, imagine that you have fantasized about all the facts that you'd have showered upon you as you tour this most historical place only to find out that the reality is a bit different. Not bad, per se, but different. Ah ha! Lesson learned! Read the fine print. Understand the details better! Clearly define your expectations and understand that an extra guide will cost extra $$$. I looked at Viator last night as recommended and it looks like the same type of tour we took last time may cost about $250/person. Which, let me tell you, is still about $100 cheaper than what DCL was offering. That does include admission to the Vatican and Coliseum, by the way, but not your lunch. Now to look and see what the individual companies are charging without Viator to take a cut of the fee...more on that when I get a chance to send that email from my home computer (I'm at work and can't log on to my home email and it's just too tiny on the phone).

Yeah, so back to Turkey. Viator had a really neat itinerary, but it was listed as new so there aren't any reviews yet. It'll be interesting to see how this summer and fall cruisers rate them. And, I guess, to see what DCL offers. Kind of liberating not to feel like I have to wait on them!

So, does anyone have any interesting travel plans this summer??

My family's travel plans this summer include going to Alaska on a Disney cruise! Right now, I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the excursion options. :confused3:confused3

About the Med cruise next year, I just spent several hours yesterday figuring out trip insurance. Booked the cruise on 1/26 so knew I had only had two weeks (some companies allow three weeks) to figure out the insurance stuff. One of my twins has asthma which can get dicey, so we need to get the pre-existing condition waiver and many companies we looked at only give you a short window to decide after you make your deposit payment. I procrastinated and procrastinated until last night.

I ended up using the tripinsurancestore.com to compare policies and we went with Travel Guard Gold. The kids were free and we also managed to squeeze in under the deadline for my DH to be able to cancel (please no) for a work related reason with the proper work documentation. That was a nice perk with that policy -- it wasn't a cancel for any reason thing though as that was a way more expensive option. We purchased a policy for the four of us for the 12 nights and some pre and post nights too for $299. We are allowed to add in the airfare amount (or if we use frequent flyer miles we can add in the amount for fees and such) and the hotel amounts to the policy once we know them later on and they'll adjust the policy and probably charge us a little more. So all good for us to have that peace of mind if, heaven forbid, something goes seriously wrong before or after we cross the Atlantic. It was way cheaper than going with Disney's insurance ($1060 yowza).

The people at that website when I called with some specific questions about a few different policies were very helpful! So an FYI to anyone reading your trip report who might be thinking about getting trip insurance! You can get insurance after two weeks, but I needed that time frame because of the pre-existing issue. It is also useful to search trip insurance on the main board and lots of threads will pop up.

Beth

No offense taken! In fact, I went an did a little demographics research to get a better understanding. I've travelled off the continent of North America a grand total of once. In no way am I a seasoned traveller. I do, however, love to chat about my experiences. I see that you're from Austria, so any pearls of wisdom about travel within Europe would be most appreciated!!

Not much wisdom here, I'm afraid, but I lived in Rome for a while (many years ago) and travel a lot, so if anybody needs something, has questions, or maybe flys to Europe via Vienna, give me a shout :goodvibes

No time to. We'll leave the afternoon of the 12th and get in the evening of the 13th. Remember...no direct flights from here at all. And...a 9 hour time difference to overcome...It worked out well last time to do it this way. We were pretty well fully adjusted by the time we got on the ship!

that works because we would get in the next morning.

My family's travel plans this summer include going to Alaska on a Disney cruise! Right now, I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the excursion options. :confused3:confused3

About the Med cruise next year, I just spent several hours yesterday figuring out trip insurance. Booked the cruise on 1/26 so knew I had only had two weeks (some companies allow three weeks) to figure out the insurance stuff. One of my twins has asthma which can get dicey, so we need to get the pre-existing condition waiver and many companies we looked at only give you a short window to decide after you make your deposit payment. I procrastinated and procrastinated until last night.

I ended up using the tripinsurancestore.com to compare policies and we went with Travel Guard Gold. The kids were free and we also managed to squeeze in under the deadline for my DH to be able to cancel (please no) for a work related reason with the proper work documentation. That was a nice perk with that policy -- it wasn't a cancel for any reason thing though as that was a way more expensive option. We purchased a policy for the four of us for the 12 nights and some pre and post nights too for $299. We are allowed to add in the airfare amount (or if we use frequent flyer miles we can add in the amount for fees and such) and the hotel amounts to the policy once we know them later on and they'll adjust the policy and probably charge us a little more. So all good for us to have that peace of mind if, heaven forbid, something goes seriously wrong before or after we cross the Atlantic. It was way cheaper than going with Disney's insurance ($1060 yowza).

The people at that website when I called with some specific questions about a few different policies were very helpful! So an FYI to anyone reading your trip report who might be thinking about getting trip insurance! You can get insurance after two weeks, but I needed that time frame because of the pre-existing issue. It is also useful to search trip insurance on the main board and lots of threads will pop up.

Beth

Ok...your post made me nervous for a minute because I knew the last time we went to Europe we got our trip insurance much closer to the date of the cruise. DH works in the insurance industry so he checked out everything out there and got us something good.

As for your Alaska cruise this summer..Kim and I can answer questions on that as well as we went on that cruise this past summer. So ask away.

So, does anyone have any interesting travel plans this summer??

Oh let's see....2 day cruise out of NYC in June...a cruise to nowhere (Bahamas) out of NYC in August and oh yes...some pesky friends from Washington are coming to visit in August as well...I say that's a good amount of plans for the summer.

Beth

I, too, purchased trip insurance for the last cruise. Any time you spent upwards of nearly $15000 on cruise, airfare, hotel, etc, you really need to consider if you could take that hit if you had to cancel. I went thru USAA's site, and they use Travel Insured International and have some good coverage! So any of you out there with USAA, don't forget that they provide these service "discounts". I priced out an estimation of the total cruise cost (making up an airfare cost and adding it in...I think I estimated $5000 total per person for everything) and got a quote for coverages between $400-500. However, my dad's was double that...for just him :scared1:! Just goes to show what age does to a policy...Now interestingly, The option to "cancel for any reason" is not valid in WA state. Don't know why. And I haven't looked it up, which is unusual for me. Wish I had a really good friend in the insurance industry that could answer that (I do...now to see if he's reading this like he said he would...;)). So....this kind of lifts that pressure for me to get the insurance right away. I can put it off until closer to final payment...

Alaska!! Ah....what a great trip!! Are you going out of Seattle or Vancouver (aren't they doing both this year??)? And are you spending time in whichever city either before or after?? Got your layers and layers of clothing ready??

What excursions are you considering?

Oh let's see....2 day cruise out of NYC in June...a cruise to nowhere (Bahamas) out of NYC in August and oh yes...some pesky friends from Washington are coming to visit in August as well...I say that's a good amount of plans for the summer.

LOL! Pesky?

Mindelmouse's husband booked her the 2 day cruise for a very special b-day. It was supposed to be a surprise.....

I keep hoping I'm going to win that cruise sweepstakes and join you to the Bahamas.....I'm going to be on that side of the country then anyway! Who cares if the hubby couldn't go (sorry, honey)? Ashleigh and I would be all over that!

Not much wisdom here, I'm afraid, but I lived in Rome for a while (many years ago) and travel a lot, so if anybody needs something, has questions, or maybe flys to Europe via Vienna, give me a shout :goodvibes

Mmmmmm....Vienna......another place on my to-see list!!

LOL! Pesky?

Mindelmouse's husband booked her the 2 day cruise for a very special b-day. It was supposed to be a surprise.....

I keep hoping I'm going to win that cruise sweepstakes and join you to the Bahamas.....I'm going to be on that side of the country then anyway! Who cares if the hubby couldn't go (sorry, honey)? Ashleigh and I would be all over that!
Typical and really messed up answer Dear! So much for 15 years of bliss!

I feel the need to defend myself here. We are the friends who've been "abandoned" by mindlemouse and minniediva. I didnt force anyone to go to Alaska with us, though coercion was used on Susan. The two of you joined us on your own accord. Have fun you guys, we'll miss you!!!!!

There was no coercion at all. :confused3. BTW I'm still pulling bamboo slivers out from under my fingernails...:littleangel:

Since you asked..... (sorry to hijack your thread!).... our Alaska cruise begins on 8/13 (I started the meet thread for that one too) and we're staying three nights beforehand in Seattle, which is a new place for me and the girls who are eight years old.

In terms of Alaska excursions, I'm a bit uncertain about what to do. One of my DH's obsessions is birding (yes, his face is always turned upwards) so in Juneau, I know he'd love to do the Glacier View Sea Kayaking. We've kayaked with the girls before but there is no way I'd do it with them up in the frigid waters of Alaska. Plus they aren't old enough anyway. So Steve might do that one by himself. But if he doesn't and joins us, I'm interested in the Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast (though that is very pricey and with saving for the Med next year that might get scratched off). Or, there is an Orca Point Lodge salmon feast as a part of the Best of Juneau excursion (that has the whalewatching and the drive to Mendenhall Glacier too). And if we get a 3-port package through Disney it is also part of that bundle.

In Skagway, I think everyone would enjoy the White Pass railway ride with the girls getting to do the youth activity in the private car. But if we don't do that, we might do the Liarsville gold rush camp -- or is it too hokey? They can always pan for gold up near Idaho Springs when we visit my mom who lives in Colorado (where I'm originally from) so not sure that one in Alaska is worth it.

In Ketchikan, I'm looking at the lumberjack show and the potlatch park youth activity. The twins love to go around Epcot getting those masks on sticks colored, so am sure they'd really get into working on a totem pole. Over the MLK holiday we made it into the city to see the National Museum of the American Indian and the girls enjoyed getting to watch native american dancers perform in the atrium. The learned a good deal of history in the process and I'm hoping they'll learn a good bit of history and natural science on some of the excursions too. Was that your experience?

As for Victoria, we are there for such a short time in the evening that we'll probably just walk around, knowing we'll head back there someday to see Butchart Gardens.

That's what I'm thinking. Any advice? What did you do up there on your cruise? I've heard that the kids got to have part of the kids club up on the top deck during the Tracy Arm day. That sounds awesome. But cold, so I'll be doing a good bit of thinking about how to pack for the cruise!

LOL! Pesky?

That would be great....fingers crossed...all though we would miss Sean...however, who knows where you will be living by then????

In Skagway, I think everyone would enjoy the White Pass railway ride with the girls getting to do the youth activity in the private car. But if we don't do that, we might do the Liarsville gold rush camp -- or is it too hokey? They can always pan for gold up near Idaho Springs when we visit my mom who lives in Colorado (where I'm originally from) so not sure that one in Alaska is worth it.

In Ketchikan, I'm looking at the lumberjack show and the potlatch park youth activity. The twins love to go around Epcot getting those masks on sticks colored, so am sure they'd really get into working on a totem pole. Over the MLK holiday we made it into the city to see the National Museum of the American Indian and the girls enjoyed getting to watch native american dancers perform in the atrium. The learned a good deal of history in the process and I'm hoping they'll learn a good bit of history and natural science on some of the excursions too. Was that your experience?

As for Victoria, we are there for such a short time in the evening that we'll probably just walk around, knowing we'll head back there someday to see Butchart Gardens.

That's what I'm thinking. Any advice? What did you do up there on your cruise? I've heard that the kids got to have part of the kids club up on the top deck during the Tracy Arm day. That sounds awesome. But cold, so I'll be doing a good bit of thinking about how to pack for the cruise!

We did the gold panning...I would skip that one. We liked the White Rail pass but the gold panning was pretty lame. Unless they changed it up, it's a long day with no food and nothing to buy to eat except very expensive undercooked chocolate chip cookies.

We did the potlatch park and lumberjack show and had a good time. The kids enjoyed making their piece of the totem pole and they still talk about the cookies they got as a snack. I would recommend that excursion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter