B2B on Dream...can I surprise my kids with 2nd leg?

i have a B2B booked on the dream in December. Many firsts for us---First time on the Dream, completing our Grand Slam. First B2B. First aft facing balcony. First time my husband will be with myself and my 2 boys (ages 9 and 13) on DCL cruise.

But it will be the THIRD time I have taken my 2 boys on a cruise the day of a Star Wars PremEar.
I was able to surprise them the first Star Wars cruise, but now they expect it.

I won't even try to hide the first leg, when the three of us board the Dream for a 4 night cruise the week of Dec. 11th. My plan is to surprise them with the 2nd leg. That cruise my husband will join us.

So, will it be possible to keep it a secret when we get off that we are doing a B2B and getting right back on? Or will the crew refer to it when we disembark?

My plan is to have my husband waiting at the terminal then Surprise, we're getting right back on! But, can my husband join us when we get back on early with the other B2Bers?

Another option is to completely get off, my husband meets us, we leave the port, then ---Surprise! --turn around and head back for the first PAT. But of course, we miss the B2B perks of being first on and having ship to ourselves for a couple hours.

OR....Get off, Surprise! We are doing a B2B. Then a few hours later, husband gets on ship and... Second Surprise! Daddy's on the ship and he's going with us.

Realistically and logistically, are any of these options doable? Please help me previous B2Bers, you're my only hope!

If you are packing everything up and getting off because you don't have the same room for the second cruise, then I like the last option -- two surprises in one day YAY. If you are keeping the same room, then I'm not sure how you'd explain to your sons why you're not packing the luggage to get off.

It will be a nice cruise for you, too, the second time around because you can share it with your husband. Have a wonderful time!

I don't have advice to offer on the B2B, but I think what I would do in regards to my husband is "accidentally" run into my husband while getting ice cream! My daughter would be so surprised!

One other thing to keep in mind is even non-cruise factors that could spoil it.

What happens if, prior to the cruise they know they are going on, one of them (or both of them) gets invited to something midway through the one they don't know about but when they would know they should be home from the cruise they know about. How would you explain why they weren't allowed to go?

Just something to ponder - there are a lot of places it could go wrong that you need to prepare for.

(Also, how well do they handle surprises anyway? I know a lot of parents post on these boards so disapppinted that their kid was upset at being surprised. Not everyone likes it.)

What happens if, prior to the cruise they know they are going on, one of them (or both of them) gets invited to something midway through the one they don't know about but when they would know they should be home from the cruise they know about. How would you explain why they weren't allowed to go?

That one is pretty easy. "Schedule" some big family chore for the following week. Like painting the house or re-doing the garden. Not only will that prevent them from making other plans that week, but their will be thrilled when they realize (on the cruise) that week of work isn't going to happen.

Of course, it all depends on the person being surprised. OP knows them best. We are just trying to help her with the logistics. I'm pretty good at planning surprises. My wife likes them. She is always trying to surprise others with parties and such. But she is fantastic at sniffing out surprises for her. So when we planned a surprise baby shower for her but she knew we were going to try to plan something at some point so I had to leave a calendar somewhere for her to find stating that the party was set for one week later than the real date. So she THOUGHT she knew when the party would be and where. (False location too.) This satisfied her curiosity of trying to figure out when/if we were throwing her a party, plus she couldn't admit she knew about the party so she had to drop the whole subject. When she walked into our house the day of the party and saw dozens of her friends and family there, she was FLOORED. We've been surprising each other with things for many many years, so I knew she'd like it.

Oh, and based on the title of this thread, I just have to ask: "How many legs do they have now?"

Sorry. Mary Poppins joke.

I saw that exact scenario on a B2B cruise, since we waited in the lounge the kids knew about the B2B, after we went out and came back in I saw the kids run over to the CM Line and were helping the CMs just by standing by and clapping for arriving passengers (all pre-arranged by the mom of course). Then in came dad. I never saw two kids (maybe 7-10) run so fast to their dad. The younger girl was in tears.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd react badly to my husband surprising me with a cruise at the last minute. He certainly could go ahead and make the reservations for a cruise without telling me, but he'd better tell me about it right afterward. I love the prep work.

I agree -- I love to plan and prep. Now if I won a cruise -- that kind of surprise I could take.

To the OP, I hope this works out for you as it sounds like so much fun. Be sure to be filming to see their reaction. I think turning a corner on the ship and "bumping" into Dad would be awesome too. There's just so many ways to do it. You could even have him in the room when you check in. Please be sure to let us know how it all went!

We don't have the same room. I had already planned to just say that I'm leaving the bags because I paid to have them brought directly through customs or whatever ...something similar to what I've done before in the past when flying. I think I can get away with that.

Looks like I will surprise them with the b2b...hopefully I can keep it a secret until we get off. Then second surprise will be Daddy just showing up at muster drill, or in our room. Oh! But I want to be there when he gets announced coming on the ship!!!
Maybe you could somehow knownwhen he’s about to boards. Tell kids you want a pic now and right here ( atrium) not facing entrance. Before hand slip a greeter a note. Have them make a special announcement ( or have DH slip a card). Only timing is DH sendinf a text on gateway a minute before boarding. Find some excuse you have to be in that area. With open boarding DH can time it. Hope I made sense. I would do an announcement “ dad of xxx and xxxx” or first their names. Xxx and xxx help us welcome aboard your dad.

We don't have the same room. I had already planned to just say that I'm leaving the bags because I paid to have them brought directly through customs or whatever ...something similar to what I've done before in the past when flying. I think I can get away with that.

Looks like I will surprise them with the b2b...hopefully I can keep it a secret until we get off. Then second surprise will be Daddy just showing up at muster drill, or in our room. Oh! But I want to be there when he gets announced coming on the ship!!!

I would think that the biggest surprise would/should be their dad showing up for the second cruise and the B2B would be secondary. Do what can be done to keep the B2B unknown maybe until you make the U-turn to get back on the ship. SURPRISE!!!!! THEN as JWD wrote, keep in contact with DH and be there as he is announced.

ENJOY!!!!!

We did a B2B two years ago. You can get off the ship...we did to further explore Barcelona, so that could be part of your plan. Also, there is a letter you get on your bed your last night of the first cruise. Get your stateroom steward, as mentioned above, to put it in an envelope addressed to you so the kids don't open it. Also, your dining room main server will ask about seating and servers for the next leg, as mentioned, on the last night, so head that off, if your plans allow. I feel that one little slip-up and your kids will smell a rat...and it's not Remy. Maybe you can talk to your TA, if you use one, or a DCL rep. about your surprise. They may be able to help...they have seen it all and may give you an option you haven't thought of...maybe a character could be involved. They do have a large supply of pixie dust...worth a shot. Good luck and happy sailing/sailing.

It can be hard to keep CMs from spoiling surprises. I took my wife on a cruise for her 60th birthday. She knew that the two of us were going. One of the surprises was that I brought our adult children and their families on the cruise as well. My daughter's did not make it easy. One of them had a baby that was just over three months old when we cruised (cruise was booked before the raised the minimum age). Another daughter was just shy of 24 weeks pregnant when we cruised. If my wife had known that they were cruising with us, she would have worried about this. The way rooms were, our adult son was booked in our room, so my wife could not see the cruise documents with his name on it. My daughters couldn't tell the grandkids so that they wouldn't accidentally say something to grandma. The grandkids found out the day before when they all arrived in Miami. I had to wait for a text telling me that everyone had arrived at the port before my wife and I could head over. First problem was entering the port, where the security person checking documents started to ask about my son, who was listed there. I somehow got her to stop asking about him. The next problem was at the security scanner. A CM there said something about seeing a lot of people with the same T shirts (my daughters had made shirts for everyone that said "I'm sailing away for my birthday, my wife's birthday, my mom's birthday...:" Fortunately, my wife just thought he was saying that a lot of families had matching shirts.
All the family was in the concierge waiting area and that is when they surprised her with a banner the kids had made. I don't think that it registered with her that we were traveling concierge at that time. When we got onboard and got to our room, one of my daughters had to tell my wife to look at the door before we got in the room. The final surprise was that I had booked the Walt suite for her and I (and our adult son).

i have a B2B booked on the dream in December. Many firsts for us---First time on the Dream, completing our Grand Slam. First B2B. First aft facing balcony. First time my husband will be with myself and my 2 boys (ages 9 and 13) on DCL cruise.

But it will be the THIRD time I have taken my 2 boys on a cruise the day of a Star Wars PremEar.
I was able to surprise them the first Star Wars cruise, but now they expect it.

I won't even try to hide the first leg, when the three of us board the Dream for a 4 night cruise the week of Dec. 11th. My plan is to surprise them with the 2nd leg. That cruise my husband will join us.

So, will it be possible to keep it a secret when we get off that we are doing a B2B and getting right back on? Or will the crew refer to it when we disembark?

My plan is to have my husband waiting at the terminal then Surprise, we're getting right back on! But, can my husband join us when we get back on early with the other B2Bers?

Another option is to completely get off, my husband meets us, we leave the port, then ---Surprise! --turn around and head back for the first PAT. But of course, we miss the B2B perks of being first on and having ship to ourselves for a couple hours.

OR....Get off, Surprise! We are doing a B2B. Then a few hours later, husband gets on ship and... Second Surprise! Daddy's on the ship and he's going with us.

Realistically and logistically, are any of these options doable? Please help me previous B2Bers, you're my only hope!

Who can keep a secret.
When checking in for the first cruise, I haven't had anyone in the terminal remark that I was doing a back to back cruise before (and I've done two). So that secret is safe.
You will need to talk to your wait staff privately. Either after one of the meals or if they are working a breakfast/lunch. They will be able to keep the surprise. It will also allow you to tell the head server if you want the same servers or not. This secret should be generally safe, especially if you take care of it before you dine for the second time.
Your room steward. While you aren't in the same room, are you on the same floor? If so, your room steward may still be the same (but be aware that they do split the rooms at the aft of the ship. So they may hand you off. Just be sure to let your room steward know that you are keeping it a surprise and to fold the B2B cruisers instructions in half and leave in the fish extender hook outside your door. This can be accomplished any time. I would recommend seeing if they will introduce you to your other room host, this way wherever you are going to will have higher priority to be cleaned and you be able to access it right when you reboard. Secret kept, high chance especially if your kids aren't grabbing the notes left by the room steward.

People have already discussed that your husband will not be in the terminal and how the B2B process works. You will be instructed to leave your luggage in the hallway or in your room the last morning. You can explain it however you want, just say that your luggage is going to have a special handling by Disney. Your kids will realize something is up by the time you get to customs and have no luggage. This is when they are like, where is your luggage and you have to explain you are doing a back to back. So prepare your kids. Like How great would it be to be getting back on the boat, etc etc.
Kids may think it is weird you are hanging out in the atrium watching people board. So instead once your husband is on board set a meeting place. Maybe the kids need icecream, or you are unpacking in the room. Then have him join you there.

We did a cruise once where we joined my inlaws. My mother in law had no idea we were also going to be on the boat. We booked a VGT room, and ended up 6 doors down from them (the luck!) So we had my son (2 years old) knock on the door and she answered it. She was so confused and thought we had come to say good bye to them! Have a great trip!

I think that there’s going to be no way to keep it secret that dad is on the cruise when you check in. They are going to ask about the 4th person in your party and since it’s B2B almost no one is in the terminal so you can’t even shuffle the kids off to the side.

What about disembarking like normal, then taking a cab to one of the local beach hotels. Tell your kids you’re enjoying time on the beach before going home, then WOW why’s dad on the beach? That way you all get to check in together, getting your pictures, board, etc.

I suggest telling them the Day/Night before. Then the day the second cruise starts you can hopefully surprise them with Dad is joining. I know myself(I'm 29, turning 30 March 11) and dad have done B2B three times and will be doing it again on March 4th-11th 7 night and March 11th-March 15th 4 night. Yeah my birthday on the first day on second cruise. I enjoy the feeling of knowing I'm one another few days when I wake the last morning

Hello -

I'm the OP. Sorry to say, that once again my husband was unable to go with us due to his job. Before final payment date, he had decided he was going to take a new job which he would be starting in December, and he already needed Christmas off and didn't want to take 2 weeks of right after he started working. So, I cancelled the Dream and ended up doing a week on the Fantasy that week (Dec. 9th) with just me and the boys. Had a great time, but I still want to do a back to back and surprise them on the 2nd leg, if I can ever pull it off. Plus, the Dream is still the ship I need to complete my Grand Slam, and I need 2 more cruises to Platinum so I think that would be fun...

Ah, life gets in the way of vacation! Glad you had a great time with your boys and at least DH is happy in a new job. Hope you get your B2B and surprise in. Lots of ideas here on how to do it, so plenty of time for planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter