Awkward Spa Question

I have a back tattoo that some are offended by. I could care less in general. However, two types of encounters made me make the descicion to disclose prior to the person seeing it. One was my physical therapist. I was in a bad accident, and had to go through extensive PT, and the first appt I had to remove my shirt and undergarments, out on the fancy paper top. Super sexy, anywho I just mentioned to him I have a tattoo on my back, it's a little surprising letting you know to mitigate an awkward response. He said oh ok. But not a big deal. I'm not here for body art judgment. And we laughed and moved on.
Second was getting a massage. Once again I just said I have a tattoo on my back you may or may not find offensive. Just didn't want you to be caught off guard. Masseuse was a complete professional. Said thanks, but we see everything all the time. Not my job to offer you advice on your personal choices. Boom. Great massage.

Just a conversational mention should be all you need. Male or female masseuse, odds are they've seen a real one. Maybe even have one. So there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I have no tats and have only had a massage a couple of times. I'd imagine that when you're dealing with naked bodies that a drawing of a naked body is pretty insignificant. Barring some anti semitic/racist content I think they gotta roll with it. I think it's very considerate for you to think of a heads-up but it's probably unnecessary. :)

The only thing that offends massage therapists is someone making inappropriate sexual comments. If you ask for a happy ending or otherwise allude (either jokingly or not) to massage therapists being prostitutes, you'll get thrown out. Anything short of that is not going to phase them. I wouldn't be concerned.

I'd get some tats done myself (A tad more nerd centric, that's who I am), if it weren't for the crippling needle phobia

I'm so with you. I have a tattoo that desperately need to be touched up and added onto (it was a silly design decision at 21...my friend who got the same thing has gotten hers completely covered up, but now I actually am friends with the artist's daughter, and just can't do that to the artist's memory, so I want to freshen it and add on), but it HURT and I don't want to hurt like that again and for longer.

This is awesome. I'm imagining Mickey pants and cracking myself up.

:)

I'm imagining that permanent marker gradually coming off between the oils and the massage and the surprise then! And the hilarity.

:):)

I'm so with you. I have a tattoo that desperately need to be touched up and added onto (it was a silly design decision at 21...my friend who got the same thing has gotten hers completely covered up, but now I actually am friends with the artist's daughter, and just can't do that to the artist's memory, so I want to freshen it and add on), but it HURT and I don't want to hurt like that again and for longer.

I have a tattoo I have to get touched up almost as often as I do my hair. Its not fun; its a commitment, but I love it. At least I've never seen anyone with one like it!

Agree with those that say don't worry. I have friends that do massage and say they've seen it all. As long as your not making rude or offensive comments to them, or somehow making them feel threatened, it's fine.

I had a massage a few years ago at the spa at the Dolphin. The lighting in the room was extremely low, and the masseur kept me almost entirely covered except for the spot he was working on. (When he worked on my upper back, he kept my lower back covered, etc.) I doubt he could have seen all that much of any tattoos I might have had! I don't think it's going to be an issue, but if it were me I would probably mention it before starting, just as a courtesy.

I'm cannot think of any reason why someone who massages naked bodies would be offended by a naked tattoo. Just schedule the massage, go, and enjoy.

Most spa personnel are professionals. I have a navel ring, not really a biggy, and 2 good size brands on my back. I have never had anyone ask about them or even be startled when they saw them.

I understand about the tat thing. I am so phobic of needles that I didn't have an epidural or any pain killers during childbirth. The needle seemed much more torturous to me. I don't have any tats either, but I found the brands to be an interesting and not so obvious alternative. They can be more painful for some people though.

Good luck, and hope the massage is wonderful.

My DS, who is a professional massage therapist, had this response when I read the question to him: "As a professionally trained Massage Therapist, they are probably trained to ignore any body art they see, because you see some pretty outrageous stuff. So they will likely notice it, say nothing, and give you a massage without question."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter