Avatar Flight of Passage (FOP) Strategy?

Use the touring plans fast pass availability tool. It shows availability up to 69 or 70 days out. I just went a few weeks ago and didn't have a problem getting one 62 days out (third day of my trip) there was still plenty available. Of course it depends on the time of year.

As has been noted, going at RD does not guarantee you'll see the full standby queue. I showed up at the park entrance 30 minutes before RD on an EMH day and was among the first ten or so people who actually went through the full queue--hundreds of people ahead of me were put through a shortened queue that skipped the lab, i.e. the most interesting part. Because I was among the first through the lab, too, I ended up walking through it at a brisk pace and not really getting to enjoy it. So if part of the purpose of going standby is to see the full queue, end of the night may be your better bet from that angle.

To give more context--the queue is very atmospheric and has some interesting environments that lead you into the story, but it's not interactive. Think Dinosaur's level of theming in the queue but with a bigger budget. While I was glad I got to see the whole thing, if I'd added thirty minutes to my wait time for that purpose I think I would have been disappointed by it. I think most of Disney's newer standby queues are worth seeing at least once, but if it's going to add a huge amount of time to your wait...I'd just FP it.

Spencer, I'm the same as you. I'm an Analyst by trade and but to the parks enough times that with very careful touring strategy analysis and planning, we typically wait no longer than 25 minutes also in almost any season except on the very highest peak holiday days. Very rarely would we get in a queue for ANY ride that the stated wait time is longer than 30 minutes. We never go in Summer to any of the parks, the heat combined with the crowds is just crazy considering what it costs these days to get into the parks. I take pity on all the exhausted frustrated families I always see in the parks that didn't do their homework. But I guess if everyone knew all the best strategies, that would make them less useful. It's always been complete nuts to think people pay close to $500 for a family of four to enter a park and sit in lines 60-90 minutes for several 2-4 minute rides. The power of Disney.

Same. I'm also an Analyst, and the only ride we have stood in a long line for was FOP right after it opened. We did rope drop (sort of), but still ended up in a 3 hour line. My husband and kids (specifically our son) didn't get the concept of being at the park BEFORE opening for rope drop, so we arrived probably 10 minutes before opening. We headed straight to FOP, and hit a 3 hour line. That was when they finally got the entire concept of rope dropping.

I tend to check wait times periodically through out the year, so when I start planning fast passes I stick with those that have longer average waits. The que was pretty cool for FOP, but not worth the wait!

Download the 'Lines' app, they will report actual waits & the posted wait time. The MDE app only shows you posted waits. You can also participate in the Lines app & it will time your wait & post it for others to see.
What’s the full name for the ‘Lines’ app? I couldn’t find it in the App Store.

Download the 'Lines' app, they will report actual waits & the posted wait time. The MDE app only shows you posted waits. You can also participate in the Lines app & it will time your wait & post it for others to see.

Keep in mind that the Lines app relies on user input for their actual wait time calculations. These aren’t the actual wait times from the Disney system that are known only by the ride attendants.

From my experience, very few users report their waits in the evening leaving Lines with only the posted times to report. Actual wait times at night are almost always shorter than what is published in Lines.

The problem is how do you know when Disney is inflating the wait time? Do they inflate the wait time more often than using the "real" wait time? I have also gotten into a line and we waited significantly longer than the posted wait time. So what is your stategy for waiting and choosing the posted wait times that are longer than the actual wait times.
I second the lines app. We have used it for our last two trips and it is usually way more accurate than the posted times, plus we like adding our wait times to the data. 😬

I was unable to secure a FP for FOP and I plan on going to AK next week on my solo trip. Has anyone had success securing a single rider FP for this on the day of? And if you’ve done rope drop on an EMH day, how early would you suggest I arrive prior to park open? Thanks in advance!

No experience with single FP+ for FoP, but DH and I have great success getting one for two people on the day of our visit to AK. It can take some very persistent refreshing, and if a time comes up that you don't want, take it anyway and try to modify it to the time you want. This has worked for DH and me nearly every time.

No experience with single FP+ for FoP, but DH and I have great success getting one for two people on the day of our visit to AK. It can take some very persistent refreshing, and if a time comes up that you don't want, take it anyway and try to modify it to the time you want. This has worked for DH and me nearly every time.

Yes I usually have success with the persistent refreshing so I will give that a shot and hope for the best!

We will be in WDW next week and I couldn’t get us FOP

I’m not sure if this is still current, but I will be looking for FOP FPs day of according to the release times I found on TP.DA8437F8-44D2-4559-941E-46A1889FD9FA.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter