Autism and waiting in lines....

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
My son was recently diagnosed with autism. I am not sure how he will do waiting in lines next year. I am hoping he won't mind. But if he doesn't do well...I know that I can go to City Hall to talk to them about a pass that basically lets us return to a ride without waiting in line.

My question is this....do I need to bring any paperwork to show that he has a diagnosis of autism?

My son was recently diagnosed with autism. I am not sure how he will do waiting in lines next year. I am hoping he won't mind. But if he doesn't do well...I know that I can go to City Hall to talk to them about a pass that basically lets us return to a ride without waiting in line.

My question is this....do I need to bring any paperwork to show that he has a diagnosis of autism?

No paperwork is needed and if you bring it they may be polite and glance at it but getting a DAS is not based on diagnosis but rather accommodation. So even telling them he has autism won't automatically qualify as each individual with autism has different needs some of which may not be met with a DAS (i.e. a child who is okay in line but need to wear headphones, Disney will not provide the headphones).

When we went last summer they gave us a DAS because my son has massive anxiety on top of his autism, waiting in lines for him makes him overthink and stress then people look at him, which stresses him more... ect. You get it. We didnt have to show anything. We went in to just get pins and ask about it but weren't expecting anything.

Based on all the info I've gotten from the DISabilities forum on disboards, they won't ask about paperwork and will be more interested in why he can't wait in lines, rather than what his diagnosis is. So, you should think about HOW his autism affects his ability to wait in lines or in confined spaces in line. If you do test out his ability to wait in lines first and find that he has problems, I'm sure you'll easily be able to explain why he needs the pass.

Yeah, at this point we just aren't sure. There really isn't anywhere we can recreate it beforehand so we won't know until we try. He did okay in 2015 but he was only 17 months old then. Also the longest line we had was only 30 minutes. I am mostly concerned about flying with him. But also worried we'll get there and the lines will be way too long for him to tolerate and then we'll have 5-day park hoppers but not get to actually ride anything. It will be June so I'm sure crowded.

Yeah, at this point we just aren't sure. There really isn't anywhere we can recreate it beforehand so we won't know until we try. He did okay in 2015 but he was only 17 months old then. I am mostly concerned about flying with him. But also worried we'll get there and the lines will be way too long for him to tolerate and then we'll have 5-day park hoppers but not get to actually ride anything.

For your flight check with your airline. Some do offer assistance for these situations. Some even schedule days where you can come and practice the entire process with your child. So they go through TSA, wait for their boarding time, board the plane, listen to the safety spiel, etc.

They great part with Disney is you can try to see if he will be okay and if not you can go to Guest Relations and discuss what caused the issue and ask for help.

See how your son does and go from there. You will find out very quickly whether you need a DAS or not, and if so, it's very easy to get once you explain what types of issues you are running into. The CM will ask a couple questions about what happens in the lines and how your day would look without a DAS (I.e. how long would you be able to enjoy the park before the child's issues become overwhelming and you would have to leave). I was asked this the last time I renewed a DAS and had never been asked before.

If you don't know what specific issues your child might run into in lines, my you will be turned down for a DAS anyway, so give it a solid try and see how it goes. No need for any paperwork.

Interesting info about the flight. So I'd contact the airline or just the airport? That would be amazing if we could do that in the weeks before our trip or something. Sometimes he freaks out with a terrified scream/cry in small spaces (though some small places don't bother him at all.) Lately he has been mad every time I strap him into his car seat...which is what we'll do on the airplane so that stresses me out. Though our trip is pretty far away still so who knows how things will be in June.

Interesting info about the flight. So I'd contact the airline or just the airport? That would be amazing if we could do that in the weeks before our trip or something. Sometimes he freaks out with a terrified scream/cry in small spaces (though some small places don't bother him at all.) Lately he has been mad every time I strap him into his car seat...which is what we'll do on the airplane so that stresses me out. Though our trip is pretty far away still so who knows how things will be in June.

I'I not sure exactly. I know it my area it is done at JFK by JetBlue. I'm not sure who you contact though. This article is at little old but it still has the program names and locations so hopefully that helps in your search http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blo...hearsal-programs-for-individuals-with-autism/

I didn't realize at some airports they even drive the plane around (grounded of course) to simulate take off and landing.

The biggest thing is to find out what triggers you need to address. Does he have sensory issues?

Our child has a brain based disease with some similarities to autism. We wear a really tight spandex shirt size 18 mos when clothes are 3T. The pressure helps.

We have headphones for sound sensitivity.

Our other child has no sound sensitivity but gets visually overstimulated.

Transitions are real tough for us so we've been watching the you tubes of rides and practicing getting in stroller after. Ride is over. Wave byby.

Wearing in a soft carrier like ergo & Tula helps our child regulate self. If yours has issues with tight spaces that may not work.

Yoyr OT should have ideas.

Agree pp-they wont look at your medical info. They need to know the symptoms to determine how the das will help.

Get the das first thing. Our PT told us to on our first trip. She said things will be ruined for the whole trip (her kid has autism) and build up if we don't try to prevent overstimulation and flight/fight mode.

Other travelers will just have to get over it if he screams. At least being in the seat is safe. Do your best and learn what will help next time.

Last time, we put a video on for him and he threw up. So now I'm paranoid to try that again. Which stinks because now that he's a bit older, he will sit through a good chunk of the Winnie the Pooh movie. It would kill a lot of time.

On on longer flight, he got really sick of being in his seat and cried/screamed a lot. We ended up holding him which made me super uncomfortable especially because there was turbulence.

His receptive language is really behind so we can't even really "prepare" him for flying or the parks because he just doesn't get it. He has watched a few of the rides on youtube and enjoys them. Well, mostly the Winnie the Pooh ride (which was closed during our last visit.)

I think if the lines aren't super long, he might do okay if we can distract him with our phones. But I don't know. Lately his tantrums and tolerance for things haven't been great. Mealtimes are our biggest stress though.

Some days I feel like maybe we shouldn't even go. Maybe it's all more stress than it's worth.

Last time, we put a video on for him and he threw up. So now I'm paranoid to try that again. Which stinks because now that he's a bit older, he will sit through a good chunk of the Winnie the Pooh movie. It would kill a lot of time.

On on longer flight, he got really sick of being in his seat and cried/screamed a lot. We ended up holding him which made me super uncomfortable especially because there was turbulence.

His receptive language is really behind so we can't even really "prepare" him for flying or the parks because he just doesn't get it. He has watched a few of the rides on youtube and enjoys them. Well, mostly the Winnie the Pooh ride (which was closed during our last visit.)

I think if the lines aren't super long, he might do okay if we can distract him with our phones. But I don't know. Lately his tantrums and tolerance for things haven't been great. Mealtimes are our biggest stress though.

Some days I feel like maybe we shouldn't even go. Maybe it's all more stress than it's worth.

With the plane and the throwing up thing - is dramamine an option? I have one that gets car sick quite easily, and he does really well with half a dose of chewable dramamine. It hasn't ever made him sleepy. I can even get my 2-year-old to take it if he chews it up with a familiar vitamin.

I've got a son with autism and we have navigated DL with him 9 times and WDW once. If you want to chat with someone who has quite literally, been there done that, please feel free to send me a pm.

With the plane and the throwing up thing - is dramamine an option? I have one that gets car sick quite easily, and he does really well with half a dose of chewable dramamine. It hasn't ever made him sleepy. I can even get my 2-year-old to take it if he chews it up with a familiar vitamin.

Our doctor said we could try it though she didn't know how much it really helped with flying. I am not sure if he'll chew it though. We've never been able to get him to chew any type of vitamin.

I've got a son with autism and we have navigated DL with him 9 times and WDW once. If you want to chat with someone who has quite literally, been there done that, please feel free to send me a pm.

I may take you up on that when our trip gets closer! Thanks!

Have you tried a pill crusher? If there's a chewable version of drammamine, you can crush it with a pill crusher and mix it in with applesauce or any other food the enjoy. DD is on an aspirin regimine for 6 months, and can't chew the chewable aspirin, so this is what we are doing for her.

I have a friend whose son will not chew pills either so she crushed the dose using a pill crusher and mixed it in with one of those little yoplait smoothies. He sucked it right up with a straw however she did say she felt like it only mildly helped her son with motion sickness on the plane.

op how old is your son now? you said he was 17 months old last time you went and did fine for 30 minutes well most toddlers can because their cartoon show is 30 minutes long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter