Aulani showing up as home resort - I don't own there...

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
I am not looking to book anything right now but, when I go to search, Aulani shows up as a home resort along with HH and VB which are my home resorts.

When I go to my Dashboard and reservations, everything looks normal.

Weird.

Did you buy 1 time points for a reservation? If so it will show a temporary home resort as the points are pulled from one.

Yes, I did yesterday. That's interesting to know. I have used the points in a reservation I currently have.

ETA that the reservation is not at Aulani, for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Yes, OTU points and transferred in points are put in temporary contracts into your account to hold them. It will show the home resort of the points.

Now that we can see and use online, we can see where we got them from!!

This is interesting. I know OTUP is only for 7 months booking, but what if the OTUP is from a resort that you actually wanted (I know chances are slim). I wonder if you than cancel the reservations, if you can use the OTUP at the resort where it came from for 11 months booking. Granted, it's probably barely enough points for 1 night, but just a thought. My brain wandering endlessly, even though I never brought OTUP before and don't ever plan on it :).

Great3

Last edited:
My home resort is BWV but also show Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel as one of my home resorts. I've never stayed there or bought OTUP for there.

My home resort is BWV but also show Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel as one of my home resorts. I've never stayed there or bought OTUP for there.
Have you bought any OTU points at all? It doesn't matter which resort the points were used at. Points that were extended due to the shutdown also had this happen.

This is interesting. I know OTUP is only for 7 months booking, but what if the OTUP is from a resort that you actually wanted (I know chances are slim). I wonder if you than cancel the reservations, if you can use the OTUP at the resort where it came from for 11 months booking. Granted, it's probably barely enough points for 1 night, but just a thought. My brain wandering endlessly, even though I never brought OTUP before and don't ever plan on it :).

Great3
I don't think that will work. Just like how transfer points require you to call in the 11 month window I would guess these would only work online in the 7 month window. If you called they would know they are OTU points.

Great3
I could be mistaken, but IIRC, OTUP can only be purchased at 7 months out, so you would already be past the opportunity to use this "loophole" for an 11-month advantage elsewhere. Thinking a little more about it, that loophole could be the reason for the timeline of being able to purchase OTUPs.

And, as you said, you wouldn't be able to book much with them anyway.

ETA: Thinking more about this, I see now what you are saying about cancelling. Even if you purchased them within 7 months of what you booked, after you cancelled that, could the OTUPs be used for a new reservation that is further out. As PP said above, I'm guessing that they are coded somehow to prevent that.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but IIRC, OTUP can only be purchased at 7 months out, so you would already be past the opportunity to use this "loophole" for an 11-month advantage elsewhere. Thinking a little more about it, that loophole could be the reason for the timeline of being able to purchase OTUPs.

And, as you said, you wouldn't be able to book much with them anyway.

ETA: Thinking more about this, I see now what you are saying about cancelling. Even if you purchased them within 7 months of what you booked, after you cancelled that, could the OTUPs be used for a new reservation that is further out. As PP said above, I'm guessing that they are coded somehow to prevent that.

Yes, that's probably the case, it's probably coded somehow like that. I just didn't realize that when purchasing OTUP, that it is associated with a home resort and had to come from an existing pool until this thread. It makes sense, just never thought of it.

Great3

Did you get an exception last year to extend expiring points during COVID? People who were given those extensions actually received points from DVC to accomplish that and did not have their own points actually extended.

Great3

No, it doesn't work that way. I believe that is why even people who transfer in from another home resort are struggling getting the points to work during home resort priority without having to call.

Did you get an exception last year to extend expiring points during COVID? People who were given those extensions actually received points from DVC to accomplish that and did not have their own points actually extended.
Thanks Sandisw but no, didn't get any exception to extend expiring points. In fact I have 7 points from 2020 UY and asked for extension but no luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter