• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Aulani Fixed-Week Purchases

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Hi all,

Would someone please tell me more about the fixed-week purchase option at Aulani? Aside from securing a specific week, is the unit/view fixed as well? I ask because it is my understanding that this will be offered for the Grand Floridian.

Thanks!

SpaceMountain77 said:
Hi all,

Would someone please tell me more about the fixed-week purchase option at Aulani? Aside from securing a specific week, is the unit/view fixed as well? I ask because it is my understanding that this will be offered for the Grand Floridian.

Thanks!

I thought fixed weeks were for the Japanese buyers but I could be mistaken.

I haven't looked at the legal documents but my understanding is you buy a fixed week, unit size and view. You then pay 10% more than the cost of the underlying points. The weeks always start on Sunday. I do not believe you could take any other option including view or unit size instead, all you have the choice of is the points or the unit/view. My understanding also is that these are floating units so while you'd be guaranteed the view, you would not be guaranteed the unit.

I thought fixed weeks were for the Japanese buyers but I could be mistaken.

Is mainly marketed towards the japanese buyers. They have sold very little fixed weeks contracts from my conversation with the QA staff at Aulani. She did mention that she has closed on only a handful of those fixed week contracts. She also mentioned that maybe the DVC sales office in japan sold more but she seemed pretty confident that the percentage of fixed weeks sold was very small.

I suspect that the fixed-week option will be more popular at the Grand Floridian. Personally, if the cost is $200 or more per point, then I would want to know that I am guaranteed a week at the Grand Floridian every year. I would be sick if I paid that kind of money and ended up at another resort.

I suspect that the fixed-week option will be more popular at the Grand Floridian. Personally, if the cost is $200 or more per point, then I would want to know that I am guaranteed a week at the Grand Floridian every year. I would be sick if I paid that kind of money and ended up at another resort.
I could see it for specific weeks like Xmas or around spring break but it makes more sense for HI where view is important also. It would have made more sense for BLT than for GF I think.

At Aulani, the fixed week option guarantees the owner a specific accommodation type (studio, 1BR, 2BR-Dedicated, 2BR-Lock-off, or Grand Villa) and view category (Standard, Island, Pool, or Ocean view) for a specific numbered week. The owner is not guaranteed a specific villa, although a fixed week owner may request a location (high floor, Waianae Building, etc.) if desired. Each year, Member Services automatically reserves the vacation home for the owner -- the owner does not have to call MS to make the reservation.

If an owner wishes to modify the fixed week reservation in any way, such as changing the dates, the accommodation type, and/or view category, the owner needs to call MS and opt out of the fixed week. The fixed week is then converted to DVC points for that Use Year. The DVC points then have the same rights and privileges as any other DVC points. They are treated as Aulani Home Resort points that can be used to book an Aulani reservation within the Home Resort priority window, or at other DVC resorts at the seven month window. The points can also be banked or borrowed, just like traditional DVC points.

The Villas at Grand Floridian's Master Declaration has the same boilerplate language about the fixed week option as in Aulani's Master Declaration (see Page 29, section 12.12.1). If DVD decides to offer a fixed week option at VGF, it might administer the program the same way as at Aulani. However, the Master Declaration affords DVD some flexibility and it might tweak the program a bit differently at VGF. Until sales commence, we won't know if DVD decides to roll out a fixed week option to buyers at VGF.

And does the week to week price differ? ie., Is a week 52 unit the same price as a week 4 unit for example?

And does the week to week price differ? ie., Is a week 52 unit the same price as a week 4 unit for example?

Prices vary, depending on the week. For years 2011 and 2012, the 52 weeks were broken out into 8 groups. Week #4 is in the cheapest group, while week #52 is in the more expensive week. For 2011-2012, a one-bedroom Ocean View vacation home for week #4 costs 354 points; for week #52, the same villa costs 477 points.

I don't have a guaranteed week price chart for 2013 or 2014.

Prices vary, depending on the week. For years 2011 and 2012, the 52 weeks were broken out into 8 groups. Week #4 is in the cheapest group, while week #52 is in the more expensive week. For 2011-2012, a one-bedroom Ocean View vacation home for week #4 costs 354 points; for week #52, the same villa costs 477 points.

I don't have a guaranteed week price chart for 2013 or 2014.
Since the points will vary a little year by year with this model, do you know how they determine the number of points you get? My assumption is the use the standard timeshare calendar and average the variations over the 6 year period and that would determine both the purchase cost and the number of points you get each year but they could also use the base week used to determine the points allocations. Also, do you know what time window they have to opt out and take the points and can they cancel later and take the points instead?

[snip] do you know how they determine the number of points you get?

Also, do you know what time window they have to opt out and take the points and can they cancel later and take the points instead?

Let me answer your second question first: For each Use Year, the member owner must notify Member Services if they wish to opt out of their fixed week. They can opt out as early as 11 months before the date they wish to use the points or as late as the day before their fixed week is scheduled to start. For example, let's say I own a fixed week at Aulani that starts on Sunday, May 18, 2014. Rather than going to Aulani for that week, I want to go beginning April 10, 2014. I can call MS today and opt out of my week and convert my week to Aulani Home Resort DVC points. Then, tomorrow, when the 11-month window opens for trips beginning April 10, 2014, I can book my stay (based on availability).

If I needed more points for my April 10, 2014, stay then I received by converting my 2014 fixed week, I could opt out of my 2015 fixed week at the same time I opt out of my 2014 fixed week. Then, I could borrow some or all of my 2015 points into my 2014 Use Year and apply them to my April 2014 trip.

I can elect to opt out of my fixed week within 31 days of the start of my fixed week. However, the points I receive would be placed in Holding Status, meaning I could only use those points to book reservations with check-ins no more than 60 days in the future. This is like any other DVC reservation that is cancelled within 31 days of check-in.

By the way, I should point out that fixed week owners, just like traditional points owners, have a specific Use Year attached to their points. When the fixed week is converted to points, those points have the same Use Year as all other points in the Unit from which the points were derived.

As you see, the fixed week owner is afforded much of the same flexibility as DVC members with traditional points.

Now, for your first question: A fixed week owner pays a 10% premium to purchase a fixed week. In 2012, a one-bedroom Ocean View during Christmas (Premier Season) costs 434 points. The cost of a fixed week for Week #52 is 477 points, which is 43 points (10%) above the cost of the traditional week. If a Fixed Week owner opted out of their fixed week for Week #52 in 2012, they would receive 434 points.

I know that Fixed Week owners are immune to point chart reallocations. If in the future Aulani's point chart is reallocated and the Premier Season rate goes up from 434 points to 452 points, the Fixed Week owner does not have to pay more for their week. However, I don't know if a Fixed Week owner who converts their week to points gets the reallocated number of points (454) or if they are always limited to the original value of 434 points. I suspect it is the later, but I don't know.

Let me answer your second question first: For each Use Year, the member owner must notify Member Services if they wish to opt out of their fixed week. They can opt out as early as 11 months before the date they wish to use the points or as late as the day before their fixed week is scheduled to start. For example, let's say I own a fixed week at Aulani that starts on Sunday, May 18, 2014. Rather than going to Aulani for that week, I want to go beginning April 10, 2014. I can call MS today and opt out of my week and convert my week to Aulani Home Resort DVC points. Then, tomorrow, when the 11-month window opens for trips beginning April 10, 2014, I can book my stay (based on availability).

If I needed more points for my April 10, 2014, stay then I received by converting my 2014 fixed week, I could opt out of my 2015 fixed week at the same time I opt out of my 2014 fixed week. Then, I could borrow some or all of my 2015 points into my 2014 Use Year and apply them to my April 2014 trip.

I can elect to opt out of my fixed week within 31 days of the start of my fixed week. However, the points I receive would be placed in Holding Status, meaning I could only use those points to book reservations with check-ins no more than 60 days in the future. This is like any other DVC reservation that is cancelled within 31 days of check-in.

By the way, I should point out that fixed week owners, just like traditional points owners, have a specific Use Year attached to their points. When the fixed week is converted to points, those points have the same Use Year as all other points in the Unit from which the points were derived.

As you see, the fixed week owner is afforded much of the same flexibility as DVC members with traditional points.

Now, for your first question: A fixed week owner pays a 10% premium to purchase a fixed week. In 2012, a one-bedroom Ocean View during Christmas (Premier Season) costs 434 points. The cost of a fixed week for Week #52 is 477 points, which is 43 points (10%) above the cost of the traditional week. If a Fixed Week owner opted out of their fixed week for Week #52 in 2012, they would receive 434 points.

I know that Fixed Week owners are immune to point chart reallocations. If in the future Aulani's point chart is reallocated and the Premier Season rate goes up from 434 points to 452 points, the Fixed Week owner does not have to pay more for their week. However, I don't know if a Fixed Week owner who converts their week to points gets the reallocated number of points (454) or if they are always limited to the original value of 434 points. I suspect it is the later, but I don't know.
Thanks, I understand they pay a 10% bonus but my question was how many points they have to pay for since the underlying week will vary quite a bit over the 6 year cycle. The rest sounds pretty much as expected other than the issue of whether they had to determine up front to take the points or week, the latter would be more consistent with similar systems. I'm assuming all the banking & borrowing rules would be exactly the same. I'm also assuming it's all or none in that if they had a 2 BR, they couldn't take a studio or 1 BR instead under this system.

Thanks, I understand they pay a 10% bonus but my question was how many points they have to pay for since the underlying week will vary quite a bit over the 6 year cycle. The rest sounds pretty much as expected other than the issue of whether they had to determine up front to take the points or week, the latter would be more consistent with similar systems. I'm assuming all the banking & borrowing rules would be exactly the same. I'm also assuming it's all or none in that if they had a 2 BR, they couldn't take a studio or 1 BR instead under this system.

Each year, DVD sets the prices for the fixed weeks. In calendar years 2011 and 2012, it had the 52 fixed weeks spread unequally in eight different price categories. The eight categories don't match exactly with Aulani's point chart, which has only four seasons.

A fixed week buyer who wants to be at Aulani around Christmas would probably have to look at the next six calendars to figure out which Fixed Week (50, 51, or 52) works best for them. As you know, buyers of fixed week timeshares who are trying to match their stays to specific holidays have to be a little flexible in their planning. But with planning, it can usually work out most of the time.

Also, there is nothing I've seen that gives Aulani Fixed Week owners the privilege of breaking up a 2BR-lockoff and using one part and renting out the other part. However, with some creativity, an Aulani owner could accomplish something similar. A 2BR fixed week owner could convert their week to points, then book for themselves a one-bedroom for the same week and rent out the excess points. Definitely not as easy as those timeshares that let you break villas, but something could be worked out.

Edited to Add: Yes, all rules about banking, borrowing, rule-of-four, exchanges, etc., apply to converted Fixed Week points exactly like traditional DVC points.

Each year, DVD sets the prices for the fixed weeks. In calendar years 2011 and 2012, it had the 52 fixed weeks spread unequally in eight different price categories. The eight categories don't match exactly with Aulani's point chart, which has only four seasons.

A fixed week buyer who wants to be at Aulani around Christmas would probably have to look at the next six calendars to figure out which Fixed Week (50, 51, or 52) works best for them. As you know, buyers of fixed week timeshares who are trying to match their stays to specific holidays have to be a little flexible in their planning. But with planning, it can usually work out most of the time.

Also, there is nothing I've seen that gives Aulani Fixed Week owners the privilege of breaking up a 2BR-lockoff and using one part and renting out the other part. However, with some creativity, an Aulani owner could accomplish something similar. A 2BR fixed week owner could convert their week to points, then book for themselves a one-bedroom for the same week and rent out the excess points. Definitely not as easy as those timeshares that let you break villas, but something could be worked out.

Edited to Add: Yes, all rules about banking, borrowing, rule-of-four, exchanges, etc., apply to converted Fixed Week points exactly like traditional DVC points.
Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter