Aulani expansion worries.....

Just want to let everyone know I called Member Services yesterday and they said that the construction is set to begin on September 10th. DH and I will be there 9/8 -9/14, although construction projects can be inconvenient, hopefully it's for the best in the end.

I know they are converting the ground level Grand Villa, on the quiet pool side, into one of the quick service locations. The other location will be on the beach!

How did you hear about the Grand Villa being converted into a quick service location?

To my knowledge, DVD has never taken a residential Unit and converted it into a Commercial Unit at any of the other DVC resorts. In some respects, DVD may be able to do this at Aulani because I don't think it has declared any of the residential Units that comprise Phase 2 (the Waianae Building) for the DVC inventory.

However, the conversion of Grand Villa #101 to a Commercial Unit would cause a minor but nevertheless significant problem with Aulani's point chart. Grand Villa #101 is the only GV designated as a Standard View; all the other Grand Villas are in the Ocean View category. If DVD takes away that Standard View GV, it will need to make an adjustment somewhere else in the point chart to compensate for the change. In addition, if DVD has sold any Guaranteed Weeks for a Standard View Grand Villa, it may need to make adjustments for those contracts.

So, how reliable is your source that they are converting the ground level grand villa into an eating area?

I'm not sure how they will be designating the new set of Grand Villas that will be opening during phase 3. I would say my source is a reliable as any source can be during a major renovation like this.

Concerning the pool deck, this summer the resort has been mid 95% occupancy.... That's less that 60% when the resort is completely open!

It makes me feel better that some of you said the construction coming up is off to the side and shouldn't be too disruptive. Thank you for that :goodvibes

Perhaps those of us that are going soon could report back or even post pictures of the construction. I will be happy to do that during our Oct. trip.
Hopefully that will ease our concerns or at least prepare us for what to expect on arrival.

We are going for a week beginning 9/12. I have rented a pool cabana for every day of this vacation. For anyone who has been, can you tell me how close this construction is going to be to the cabana location? I don't want to waste my money for a cabana if it's going to be really noisy.

We are going 10/23-28. I was looking forward to seeing the Starlight Hui one night so hope the one-month closure is not during that time period!

Otherwise, I don't think it will affect us much. We are renting a car for the length of stay and plan to go over all of the island and see the sights. We're not much for hanging at the pool or on the beach--and there are so many things to see on Oahu! We then are going to stay a week at the Maui Ocean Club.

We have been planning our 50th anniversary for the past year. We have scrimped together as many reward points as we could to take our 3 children and their spouses with us. We are booked for September 7 through the 14th. It was quite a blow when I happened onto the DVC site yesterday to find that the construction would be taking place beginning mid-September. And now today I read in this thread that it willk start on the 10th. This construction may be necessary, as some of you who have been there pointed out. That is no consolation to those of us who have made reservations during this time.

We stayed at Animal Kingdom when there was construction going on and it didn't bother us in the least. Our memories are of the good time we had, not of the construction. I am thankful that we are going to celebrate with our family in Hawaii at beautiful Aulani. I don't want to trouble myself with thoughts that my vacation will be ruined. On the contrary, I am looking forward to having the time of my life. I hope the rest of you who are there will do the same.

cad8689 said:
We have been planning our 50th anniversary for the past year. We have scrimped together as many reward points as we could to take our 3 children and their spouses with us. We are booked for September 7 through the 14th. It was quite a blow when I happened onto the DVC site yesterday to find that the construction would be taking place beginning mid-September. And now today I read in this thread that it willk start on the 10th. This construction may be necessary, as some of you who have been there pointed out. That is no consolation to those of us who have made reservations during this time.

We stayed at Animal Kingdom when there was construction going on and it didn't bother us in the least. Our memories are of the good time we had, not of the construction. I am thankful that we are going to celebrate with our family in Hawaii at beautiful Aulani. I don't want to trouble myself with thoughts that my vacation will be ruined. On the contrary, I am looking forward to having the time of my life. I hope the rest of you who are there will do the same.

Well said.....on that note, 59 days left! Woo-hoo!

If most on the construction is on the side that I'm thinking then, I definitely would request a pool view. We had room 913 in July and it was the side view. I could see the spa below us. I'm guessing that side would be very noisy. The other side of the resort Phase 3 isn't open yet. The side we were on was the same side as the Makai Preserve and the quiet pool. I would go with an open mind that there will be noise. If this is meant to be a once in a life time trip, I'd cancel and rebook

OurDogCisco said:
If most on the construction is on the side that I'm thinking then, I definitely would request a pool view. We had room 913 in July and it was the side view. I could see the spa below us. I'm guessing that side would be very noisy. The other side of the resort Phase 3 isn't open yet. The side we were on was the same side as the Makai Preserve and the quiet pool. I would go with an open mind that there will be noise. If this is meant to be a once in a life time trip, I'd cancel and rebook

Thanks for the info! I think we're still game to go....I probably misspoke when I started this thread, I mentioned 'once in a lifetime' but what I probably should have said is 'best vacation so far.....'.....which means, im sure we'll be back.....between my desire for many excursions and wifey's love of beach bumming, we may spend more time around the island/outside of the resort than in...I guess it comes down to how much the construction impedes our enjoyment of the resort....still excited, 58 days....

I know it's not may be easy to describe in words, but can you help me understand where the pool view rooms are? We have pool view booked in Oct and I think we may not be near the construction (at least that's what I'm telling myself :)), but I'm not sure.

ETA: I think I found the information I was looking for.

I know it's not may be easy to describe in words, but can you help me understand where the pool view rooms are? We have pool view booked in Oct and I think we may not be near the construction (at least that's what I'm telling myself :)), but I'm not sure.

Did you see this map: http://dvcnews.com/images/stories/hawaii/maps/ADV_phases.jpg

We were in DVC Phase II facing the pool on the left. we were in the corner of the L shape on the 9th floor. DVC Phase 3 is not open yet. The resort is set back from the ocean quite a bit. So, I think you take your chances more with trying to get an ocean view. I know lots have talked about it and tried to convince others not to take an ocean view room. Now, I understand.

Did you see this map: http://dvcnews.com/images/stories/hawaii/maps/ADV_phases.jpg

We were in DVC Phase II facing the pool on the left. we were in the corner of the L shape on the 9th floor. DVC Phase 3 is not open yet. The resort is set back from the ocean quite a bit. So, I think you take your chances more with trying to get an ocean view. I know lots have talked about it and tried to convince others not to take an ocean view room. Now, I understand.

Thanks! I think I'm worrying too much. I'm going to make myself stop now.

Perhaps this thread will also help you locate the different villas at Aulani: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2907389

Wow! Wasn't too worried about the expansion before but now . . . .

just got an email from DVC Member Services that because of the construction during my stay in late October they are going to credit back two nights of points . . . . . . is this DVC just being proactive or are they getting a ton of complaints?

just got an email from DVC Member Services that because of the construction during my stay in late October they are going to credit back two nights of points

Me too!

I started a new thread about this because I didn't think it would get noticed at the end of this thread.

Haven't had time to read through this entire thread, so my apologies if I'm repeating something that was already said.

We were just there July 14 - 21. We were in DVC rooms in the Wainanea Building. We had ocean view on the pool side. The large wings of the Ewa building are still under construction (interior) and we did not hear any of the noise.

What we were glad about - is that we went now. Once all those additional rooms are occupied, the resort is going to be crowded. With the smaller occupancy currently, the pool, lagoon and all facilities were comfortable to full. I can not imagine what it would be like once all rooms are completed.

I just talked to member services for DVC and they said they are crediting back ALL guests, DVC or cash the equivalent of 2 nights stay at Aulani (points for DVC members/cash for non)...don't know when this will stop but my guess is they are trying to pacify everyone before they get here.....looks like we'll be heading to OKW this winter for a trip now that we have points back!!! Woo hoo!

I spoke with MS today as others have done recently. We have two upcoming reservations at Aulani...one is for DW and I to celebrate our 30th anniversary from 9/03-9/09 and the other is for our DD on her honeymoon from 12/14-12/20. I have received an email from MS informing us about the upcoming expansion construction. DD received a letter last week. Neither the email nor the letter mentioned any refunding of points or any other incentive. I called MS today to find out what was going on regarding the construction and any incentives. MS told me that the construction would start 9/10 so there is nothing that needed to be done with our 1st reservation. On the second reservation, we will be receiving a letter/email informing us of the upcoming refund of points equal to two nights stay. She said that not everyone has received this info yet and they are working on notifying everyone. She also said the points would not be refunded until after you check-in for your reservation. I asked about the refund, i.e. what difference it would make if the points were current UY, borrowed, etc. I was told that if the points were borrowed, they would be "un-borrowed". If they were banked, then they would expire as normal during the current UY. If the points were current UY, then they would retain their ability to be banked. I asked about using the refunded points to upgrade the existing reservation but that cannot be done since they are not refunded until you check in. However, if you have points in inventory, you could upgrade your existing reservation knowing that two nights worth of the new reservation would be refunded upon check-in. Just wanted to share what I was told today.

I'm so glad to hear about the 2 day refund even though we have not been notified yet. Will be calling MS tomorrow! We are going Sept. 24th-Oct. 1st for our 20th and was really disappointed to hear about the construction. At least that takes the sting out a little!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter