Aulani + Airbnb w/ 5 yo & infant

Webec

Earning My Ears
Hi all, my family is planning a trip to Oahu during maternity leave in March. My LOs will be 5 yrs and 4 months at that point. We're thinking about 4-5 nights at Aulani followed by a few nights at an Airbnb (to hopefully save some money and also to add a little variety to the trip). Can you recommend some areas in Oahu where I should look for an Airbnb? Beaches that are particularly friendly for a 5 year old (i.e., calm water, lots of wildlife, etc.). Thanks!

http://www.honoluludpp.org/Portals/0/pdfs/HotIssues/NUCreport.pdf

This is the list of legal rentals on Oahu. AirBnB, VRBO etc do not vet for legality. Basically if you stay in Waikiki for your non-Aulani portion you will not have any issues.

Waikiki is a massive long stretch of beach that is basically awesome for all ages. Surfers actually have to paddle a fair way to catch a wave as there are reefs that protect the shoreline.

@kyton is totally on point with legal rentals on Oahu.

I would consider renting a condo at Turtle Bay resort up in the North Shore area.

It is going to save some money and will give you the variety you are looking for.

DisBoards member Dugette has a great trip report with a split stay at Turtle Bay and Aulani that they took when her daughter was 4 so it might giv eyou some idea of the way that kind of vacation can go.

Here is the link

https://www.disboards.com/threads/j...2016-updated-6-4-complete-dl-tr-link.3528738/

I have no knowledge of the AirBnBs in Oahu, but Kailua was one of my favorite areas we visited all trip. It was the most beautiful beach we saw in a quaint town on the windward side of the island, which had a different vibe than the leeward side where Aulani is.

I also think Turtle Bay is a great recommendation and we loved the North Shore. One thing I'll caution is that outside of Aulani and Waikiki, we found the waters to be pretty rough almost everywhere we went . Even different islands. North Shore was among the worst. We were there mid-September, and its my understanding that the winter months draw in rough waters so perhaps we were at the start of that. But I'm not a strong swimmer and there were some instances when I wouldn't go in the water because of this. But with Aulani being on a man-made lagoon, it intentionally breaks the waves and calms the water there making it much easier to swim. There is a big drop-off, however.

We also liked the Waikiki area, but we agreed it reminded us of Miami Beach or really any other major city if you plopped it on an ocean. Beautiful views, great dining and shopping, but much more urban feeling and less nature-y than anywhere else we visited. We still enjoyed it for a couple days though.

Last edited:

@kyton is totally on point with legal rentals on Oahu.

I would consider renting a condo at Turtle Bay resort up in the North Shore area.

It is going to save some money and will give you the variety you are looking for.

DisBoards member Dugette has a great trip report with a split stay at Turtle Bay and Aulani that they took when her daughter was 4 so it might giv eyou some idea of the way that kind of vacation can go.

Here is the link

https://www.disboards.com/threads/just-the-19-of-us-–-oahu-north-shore-aulani-–-jan-2016-updated-6-4-complete-dl-tr-link.3528738/
thank you so much -- will read her report

The only issue with Turtle in March is that it the tail end of big wave season. So day to Day the waves can and do change dramatically. Turtle does have a more protected shoreline but it can still be rough.

I rented a house through VRBO in Ewa Beach last year and loved it! It was like living with the locals.

We are also renting a condo for our next trip in June at the resort next to Aulani.

You would be fine with most rentals and just make sure you read the reviews. Depending on your budget and what amenities you want, if you want to experience something different than Ko Olina, you may want to look at rentals in Kailua. the beach has calmer waters and the shopping and restaurants in Kailua town are fantastic! Another nice quiet location not far from amenities is the Hawaii Kai area.

Turtle Bay is nice, but the waters on the north shore tend to rough that time of the year.

You would be fine with most rentals and just make sure you read the reviews. Depending on your budget and what amenities you want, if you want to experience something different than Ko Olina, you may want to look at rentals in Kailua. the beach has calmer waters and the shopping and restaurants in Kailua town are fantastic! Another nice quiet location not far from amenities is the Hawaii Kai area.

Unfortunately this is not always the case - you really need to check any address against the listing I quoted above. Just because they have reviews and even quote a TAT number does not mean they are legally permitted. VRBO DOES NOT check for legality! You need to ask the landlord for the actual address and check it yourself against the list. The local government is starting to crack down on illegal rentals - the last thing you would want is to turn up and not have any accommodation.

Unfortunately this is not always the case - you really need to check any address against the listing I quoted above. Just because they have reviews and even quote a TAT number does not mean they are legally permitted. VRBO DOES NOT check for legality! You need to ask the landlord for the actual address and check it yourself against the list. The local government is starting to crack down on illegal rentals - the last thing you would want is to turn up and not have any accommodation.

I can only provide a suggestion based on personal experience of mine and others that I know have traveled to Hawaii and have had no issues with Airbnb and VRBO.

It may be something that you have done in the past but it is illegal - so surely now you know, you wouldn’t continue to do it?

Many places the world over are shutting down illegal rentals - why would you jeopardise a vacation by booking somewhere only to find it’s either (a) not real - scammers do this every day or (b) closed down when you arrive?

Oahu has a massive homeless problem. By supporting illegal rentals, you are adding to the problem as these are houses that would normally be rented to the long term market.

OP - as a very regular visitor to Oahu for over 25 years please stick to the legal rentals. There will always be people who break laws, you don’t have to do the same.

WOW! I was just trying to help someone and have now officially been bullied! This is supposed to be a place to share our experiences without judgement. Way to go kyton!

Sorry if you think I have bullied you but I am trying to explain why you have to be careful. Take the information and do as you wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter