Aulani: A Disney Resort & Spa - Remotgage your home to go!

Hi Michael! I remember seeing you on the DIS Unplugged and I couldn't wait to hear about your trip. We are heading to Aulani in September.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU from the bottom of my soon to be honeymooning heart for this trip report. I found a lot of great info from Pete's podcasts, and I did see a few posts on the trip reports board, but I was really looking for everything you posted and this helped answer a lot of things I was considering.

We will also be traveling from the east coast (the day after our wedding) but we'll be flying to LAX first and spending the night. On the way back from Hawaii, we'll be stopping in Disneyland for a few days then flying back via LAX, so it worked out to break up the trip on both ends.

What comes to your mind when you think of Hawaii? Personally, for me, I was always sold the dream of crystal clear water, hula girls in grass skirts, an infinite supply of Mai Tais & beautiful sunsets on the horizon. I’ll tell you guys what; it’s all true & MORE at Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa. I never really found a solid and comprehensive review online – so hopefully the one I’m going to write today will be totally relatable to you, and planning/vacation needs.

EXACTLY.. that is why I appreciate this so much!

Disney Movie Nights: To me, this was a highlight, as I always enjoyed in the Disney Resorts to watch a Disney movie under the stars. To see the classics, and have a large audience reaction laughing, and enjoying the films with you makes them come alive to me. This should have been an option every night in my opinion outside of Starlight Hui nights – from my 6 days there it only came on twice. Again, I just like the option of having more things to do instead of less. They were showing High School Musical 2 (skipped that one) & The Jungle Book. You get mats to sit on, and it’s in the same lawn that the Starlight Hui is on.

This sounds fun! I know we will probably be busy during the day but at night, aside from dinner and maybe a luau, I don't know what else we will plan to do. This could be a fun way to unwind and relax.

Makihiki: I did NOT eat here, however this is where the serve the character breakfast, and the buffet. I will say that, if you’re doing the breakfast for the characters, don’t. The characters are readily and easily accessible with short lines (compared to the parks) and at $35.00 a person, it was a tough pill to swallow for a shallow breakfast buffet. Also, I’m not a huge fan of seafood so I didn’t eat the buffet….but Kevin said he didn’t think it was worth it either, as well as the review we got from many people who attended. Again, to each their own, if you really want to try it – try it. However, go into it knowing that it’s expensive…I would just ask to look around if you want to see the BEAUTIFUL restaurant…my god this place is magnificent! Whoever designed this resort really made sure that everything was designed top notch!

Hmm... seems like this may be worth skipping? We may try to do a character breakfast in Disneyland on our last day before our flight leaves. Seems like that may be a better option.

Ama Ama: BEAUTIFUL restaurant. Please make reservations for this restaurant when it’s sunset time, you won’t regret it. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, the wait staff has that Disney magic that people say might be missing from current cast members.

Thank you for the tip! We definitely plan to eat here once. My fiance isn't a big seafood eater but he's ok with just about anything outside of that.

Monkey Pod: across the street has, honestly, better priced food & the service was honestly top notch. There is a happy hour that commences between the hours of 3:00 – 5:30 and 9:30 to 11:00 where most of the appetizers are half off. INCREDIBLE deal. The staff members there are also extremely friendly…this restaurant needs to be in Aulani! The robust menu options, stellar service, live music, and reasonable prices make this place one of the must dos at Aulani!

I have heard such great things about this place. I think we'll definitely have this in the back of our mind as a good spot for apps and drinks. Can't beat half off, and my fiance can eat.... so this could be worth it for us lol. Looks like a great spot for some late night eats, too.

Costco: The Costco has two locations on the island, and both were pretty packed when we went. I’m from New York – so I don’t think that the lines were too bad as the Costco here is ALWAYS packed. The best thing that you’ll find here at Costco are the prices! The prices are EXACTLY the way they are at home! They also have some good Hawaiian treats there too we picked up some Hawaiian bread, Hawaiian chicken that needed to just be put in the microwave, and some liquor to subsidize the Aulani prices of drinks. You can get a whole bottle of liquor for only 10 bucks! It lasts the whole week too mixed with some Hawaiian pineapple juice or make you own Mai Tais as Aulani has a blender you can use! Again for those of us who are on a budget, I found Costco to be a REALLY good source of food and treats to even out the playing field in terms of budgetary restrictions & great food too!

This is probably a stupid question. But do you need a membership here? I swear I read that you didn't, but I could be wrong. I think this would be a great stop for us after we get the rental car, before we get to Aulani. I definitely want to have some cocktails and snacks on hand. Did you guys have a studio? We will, so we'll have a kitchenette, but no kitchen. I figured some sandwich stuff would suffice for us for lunch when we'll be at the resort.

ABC Store: Across the street, literally right across the street has some GREAT cheap eats and prepared meals that you can snack on! The prices again are reasonable, a bit more than say your local 7/11 – However, I still found it while a bit more, it was still reasonable! This place also has the Dole Whip as high as you want for $3.99! Think of a 7/11 or any kind of quick fix convenience store with a mini hot food bar attached. You can also shop for some souvenirs here that would break your bank / hurt your wallet the way the stores in Aulani might!

SAY WHAT. I need those Dole Whips!!!

Excursions: While Aulani offers a great range of excursions I chose to use my car rental time to go explore the island! Pearl Harbor is a MUST do – as well as Diamond Head. Take your time and explore the Hawaiian Island and absorb the time you are here. The island of Oahu is a breathtakingly beautiful place, and you will get some amazing photos from the top of Diamond head and the beach of Waikiki.

Fantastic. We plan to do Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor for sure. No idea what else, though. Between planning the wedding and arranging our travel, all I know right now is that we'll be there drinking Mai Tais and laying in the sun!

Nicely done. I have told my HD I want to spend spring break 2017 in Hawaii, it's been seven years since our last Hawaiian vacation And I miss the islands. I don't know if we would stay at Aulani, but it's a beautiful resort. My DH is also not a seafood person so I know the challenge of finding places to make everyone happy. I for one love seafod and eat as much as I can when I'm there
Looks like there is plenty to keep the kids busy and happy.

Hi Michael! I remember seeing you on the DIS Unplugged and I couldn't wait to hear about your trip. We are heading to Aulani in September.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU from the bottom of my soon to be honeymooning heart for this trip report. I found a lot of great info from Pete's podcasts, and I did see a few posts on the trip reports board, but I was really looking for everything you posted and this helped answer a lot of things I was considering.

We will also be traveling from the east coast (the day after our wedding) but we'll be flying to LAX first and spending the night. On the way back from Hawaii, we'll be stopping in Disneyland for a few days then flying back via LAX, so it worked out to break up the trip on both ends.

EXACTLY.. that is why I appreciate this so much!

This sounds fun! I know we will probably be busy during the day but at night, aside from dinner and maybe a luau, I don't know what else we will plan to do. This could be a fun way to unwind and relax.

Hmm... seems like this may be worth skipping? We may try to do a character breakfast in Disneyland on our last day before our flight leaves. Seems like that may be a better option.

Thank you for the tip! We definitely plan to eat here once. My fiance isn't a big seafood eater but he's ok with just about anything outside of that.

I have heard such great things about this place. I think we'll definitely have this in the back of our mind as a good spot for apps and drinks. Can't beat half off, and my fiance can eat.... so this could be worth it for us lol. Looks like a great spot for some late night eats, too.

This is probably a stupid question. But do you need a membership here? I swear I read that you didn't, but I could be wrong. I think this would be a great stop for us after we get the rental car, before we get to Aulani. I definitely want to have some cocktails and snacks on hand. Did you guys have a studio? We will, so we'll have a kitchenette, but no kitchen. I figured some sandwich stuff would suffice for us for lunch when we'll be at the resort.

SAY WHAT. I need those Dole Whips!!!

Fantastic. We plan to do Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor for sure. No idea what else, though. Between planning the wedding and arranging our travel, all I know right now is that we'll be there drinking Mai Tais and laying in the sun!

I can't wait to hear for YOUR report. Honeymoon? Are you kidding me who can ask for anything better! We went to Disneyland before we came here, I would say definilty do the Disneyland character breakfast as the characters here are EASILY accessible without any kind of waits. In the Disneyland Park you will be waiting a LONG time if you want to meet characters! Costco has a membership fee of I believe ...55 dollars a year?

I'm telling you the savings that you will retain from your membership will be worth it! Yes remember you can get all the ingredients to make your own Mai Tai for a WEEK for about the price of 2/3 Disney ones! They have GREAT food that you can heat up too and bring to the pool, my room came furnished with plates and utensils as well.

Other things you can do to fill the void in your Hawaiian Days:
  • Waikiki Beach: I believes has Surfing Competitions sometimes - they had one when we were there and it was awesome to watch!
  • Polynesian Cultural Center: Apparently from what I hear it's almost like a Hawaiian theme park that comes WITH food - Costco also has on sale tickets for this as well! The people who we talked to who went LOVED it.
  • Paradise Cove: They have a luau within walking distance to the resort that comes with food if maybe you want to experience a more traditional Hawaiian luau.
  • Hanauma Bay: Apparently GREAT for snorkeling!
Otherwise, just enjoy the resort! Kick your feet back relax and enjoy your wedding I want photos!!!!

Nicely done. I have told my HD I want to spend spring break 2017 in Hawaii, it's been seven years since our last Hawaiian vacation And I miss the islands. I don't know if we would stay at Aulani, but it's a beautiful resort. My DH is also not a seafood person so I know the challenge of finding places to make everyone happy. I for one love seafod and eat as much as I can when I'm there
Looks like there is plenty to keep the kids busy and happy.

Your kids will LOVE it - Try to make it there for a day or two if you go just to do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter