August W.I.S.H.Thread: Awesome August

I am highly motivated. It will be easier now that I have zero time to myself.

I was up at 5:40 AM for the first day of school for teachers. The commute to DD’s job then mine wasn’t as bad as expected. We had meetings until noon, and then we were free to work on our rooms. I stayed late and got home at 5:00 PM, showered, got dressed again and picked DD from work. I made dinner while she showered, then we ate, and cleaned up. Now she and I are watching “Bachelor in Paradise.”

I am exhausted. I can’t imagine how I will feel when the kids start next week.

Yesterday I did a good thing... I got 10,000 steps for the first time in forever. I started with a walk in the park along the water, and since that involves going down hill it also involves going back up, which wasn't horrible but is definitely something I need to do more of.
Way to go! You should be proud of yourself and it sounds like such a lovely place to walk. 🥰

I am highly motivated. It will be easier now that I have zero time to myself.

I was up at 5:40 AM for the first day of school for teachers. The commute to DD’s job then mine wasn’t as bad as expected. We had meetings until noon, and then we were free to work on our rooms. I stayed late and got home at 5:00 PM, showered, got dressed again and picked DD from work. I made dinner while she showered, then we ate, and cleaned up. Now she and I are watching “Bachelor in Paradise.”

I am exhausted. I can’t imagine how I will feel when the kids start next week.
I’m glad your commute was better than expected. I had a math training this morning and then worked in my classroom until 4. Ran to the store, got home to eat quick, then back out the door for a field hockey booster club meeting. Came home to do more school work. Now I’m exhausted and ready for bed!

we have a new kindergarten teacher that just got hired and tomorrow will be her first day in to school. Her room is literally just tables and chairs. No materials. So I’m sure tomorrow I will spend a lot of time going through what I have to see what I can give her. She already reached out tonight asking for anything like a classroom calendar, bins etc. Orientation is on Thursday! 😬

I’m glad your commute was better than expected. I had a math training this morning and then worked in my classroom until 4. Ran to the store, got home to eat quick, then back out the door for a field hockey booster club meeting. Came home to do more school work. Now I’m exhausted and ready for bed!

we have a new kindergarten teacher that just got hired and tomorrow will be her first day in to school. Her room is literally just tables and chairs. No materials. So I’m sure tomorrow I will spend a lot of time going through what I have to see what I can give her. She already reached out tonight asking for anything like a classroom calendar, bins etc. Orientation is on Thursday! 😬
I have two newbies in the same boat. I gave them whatever I could. I remember spending $3,000 my first year. I will have to introduce them to Donors Choose.

Topic Tuesday -

(Today's question is inspired by the book Smart Change.)

In what ways do you (or could you) use your environment to foster healthy habits or avoid unhealthy ones?

Examples:
  • keeping the fruit in a prime spot in the fridge, and the candy hidden in the back of the tallest cabinet
  • putting your running shoes in a spot where you see them first thing in the morning
  • hanging up motivational quotes or daily checklists
  • rearranging your dishes so it's easier to grab smaller plates

My counselor sent me an article the other day about a couple people who are advocating for supportive ADHD changes. One of the things mentioned was re-designing refrigerators so that there are no drawers where stuff can't be seen... this is huge for me not only in the fridge but in any means of storage. I have a couple night stands that have drawers and I totally lose track of what is in them, as in don't even think to look in them when I'm searching for something.

A friend had mentioned the value of pre-paying, as in buying the the veggies/fruit already cut up. I've been doing this, but it does bother me to have so many single use plastic containers. I do manage to consistently get my celery cut up when I first bring it home, but that's about it for food prep.

I went for another park walk last evening and got my step count up to 11,000 steps. I'm really enjoying walking along the beach there, it is kind of a promenade with folks going back and forth. Altho there are no people in this picture:

And I'm so glad that I finally got myself together to enjoy the park while the weather is still nice.

Last edited:
One of the things mentioned was re-designing refrigerators so that there are no drawers where stuff can't be seen... this is huge for me not only in the fridge but in any means of storage. I have a couple night stands that have drawers and I totally lose track of what is in them, as in don't even think to look in them when I'm searching for something.

I've never though about that, but my fridge has all clear drawers. I do think it helps in things not getting wasted.

I wouldn't like having no drawers in other furniture, though, as I sometimes just need the mess out of sight!

...as in buying the the veggies/fruit already cut up. I've been doing this, but it does bother me to have so many single use plastic containers.

I feel the same way. I've been buying fresh mushrooms lately that come in these deep plastic trays. I've been trying to think of a craft project to do with them.

I love the beach walking routine and photo!

Another chaotic day of training and wishing that I was able to work in my classroom. Lunch was provided, but I worked in my room instead and had a protein shake and apple. I stayed at school until 5:00; came home to shower and change; picked up DD from work; cooked dinner while she showered; ate and ran the dishwasher.

I still have so much to do. The copiers are broken. The internet was down today. The building isn’t clean except for the very shiny floors, so I have had to clean everything in my room myself. Tomorrow will be all day training and I will have to go to a different location for the afternoon. I will have to try not to obsess over all I still have left to do, because I won’t be able to do anything.

I miss the summer :(

I have two newbies in the same boat. I gave them whatever I could. I remember spending $3,000 my first year. I will have to introduce them to Donors Choose.

There are quite a few celebs on twitter that have threads posting amazon wish lists Kristen Johnston (mom, 3rd rock from the sun) and Leslie Jones (snl) are two that did earlier in the summer. Wont help this week but might down the line. Something to mention if the newbies and social media savy

Woohoo - my classroom is set up.
Woohoo - all empty classroom positions in our building have filled (we still have some instructional aide positions to fill)
Woohoo (I hope) - our school board is meeting tomorrow to update our health and afte plan due to the increase of positive cases (not a woohoo) in our area. I just hope it passes. I know there is A LOT of resistance from parents about wearing masks.
Woohoo - my eating is mostly on track with the exception of the treats my daughter keeps bringing me from her work (which is sweet because she knows I’m stressed with school starting).

Today is first day for teachers and we have our annual convocation at the football stadium this year so it can be outdoors. But I still wish it would be virtual…especially as a time saver.

Good Morning! I am woohoo the first day of school. Things went smoothly this morning other then the storms that started at about 5. Many schools in our area have closed due to the heat. Its the schools that don't have ac. We are looking at being about 100 with the heat index. We won't get much of a break until about Monday. Our schools are new and all have air so the heat doesn't affect our school days. Though DS has a soccer game tonight. That will be fun. We will see if they get it in. It is supposed to storm most of the day.

Woohoo-ish? The Cardiologist posted my lab results and the things that are high are just barely so and not significantly different than the labs I had done last year, so I'm thinking I can improve them thru good living practices. When they were done I was 6 weeks into better eating but really hadn't increased physical activity, which is an important part. I'm reframing walking as no longer optional but a daily requirement, and will start back up with yoga mid-September, after vacation.

Sorry for all of you having bad weather, things here are rather lovely with cool mornings and sunny warm afternoons, but autumn is definitely in the air so woohoo for that. Autumn is my favorite season, it just feels so alive even tho everything is dieing back to hibernate for winter.

Been thinking about what I want to do this weekend, as I don't want another weekend of hanging around the house doing chores. I think I've settled on taking the ferry over to Vashon Island and going to a couple parks. Vashon is nice and close, but has a totally different vibe so would make a nice change of pace. Vacation is now just two and half weeks away (woohoo), so don't want to do too much of a road trip.

I just got a text from DD. She is hanging in there. She made it though the first set of classes. She Spanish teacher is letting her of the hook on homework and stuff for right now. She does have a bad headache and is nauseous. She has lunch right now that is an hour long and then band where she can sit in the private practice rooms and rest. So she has about 2 hours that she can rest. After that she only has 2 classes. Math and Photography. I told her to take meds for her head and just rest. I am glad she sent me a message. I was worried about how today would go.

Also, her sports med doctor is awesome. She calls me back if I have a question and today she called about the med form that need to filled out for school. I am used to the nurses or aids calling but the doctor herself calls. She called me today right after DD texted me so I was able to give her an update on how things were going. She said we are doing the right things and said she is doing as good as expected with a concussion.

These are all woohoo's and I have one more. All the ER visits but the one I am fighting went through insurance. This is such a relief. Now it is just fighting the 1 visit. If I can't do anything it is at least the cheapest visit. I will pay (if I have to) the $2,000 compared to the $10,000 one.

WOO HOO!!! I had social emotional and restorative practice workshops today which were much more interesting and valuable than what my kindergarten colleagues were doing today.

WOO HOO!!! I got home at 3:00 PM, and DD worked a half day, so I don't have to pick her up from work.

WOO HOO!!! DD is making dinner, and all I have to do is make our veggie/fruit smoothie.

WOO HOO!!! I am making progress in my classroom.

Day 2 of school is not going good. After school yesterday DD took a 2 hour nap and then decided to go to DS's soccer game. I should have said no to this but I was going by what she was feeling. She lasted about 15 minutes before we had to take her home because she felt so sick. She forced herself to eat last night because she said she had to eat something. This morning she was still pretty bad and we couldn't get her out of bed because she felt so sick and dizzy. So she is at home for her 2nd day of school. It is hard to tell how much of this is the concussion or her anxiety. I will call the dr. today to see about getting anti-nausea meds. I talked to her earlier in the week about this and we decided not to use it at the moment because it makes you drowsy. I am going to see about giving it to her when she gets home after school to help her recover quicker for the next day. I feel like we just went back several weeks with this concussion. This is one frustrating injury.

..........Thankful Thursday

I’ve recently picked up my old gratitude journal. I started it years ago, after reading this book:

Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort of Joy, by Sarah Ban Breathnach

and while I haven’t consistently kept it going all this time, I have returned to it at particularly stressful intervals - when I find I’m not automatically noticing the good stuff, and need the writing routine to nudge me a little.

The idea is a lot like what we do here by sharing what we’re thankful for each Thursday. Sarah’s book suggested writing down 5 things you’re grateful for each day, and this article with a similar theme suggests 3.

I’ve noticed a difference just in the few days since I’ve gotten back in the habit. So this morning I’m thankful for gratitude journals. 📚

Do any of you keep a gratitude journal?

And whether you do or not, what are you thankful for today?

PS – I also read Sarah’s next book (Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self) and didn’t like it at all. So while I recommend the first one, I wouldn’t spring for the set.

The shorter article I linked above is by Matt Kandler, founder of Happyfeed, and is definitely worth taking a moment to click on.
:goodvibes

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!