August 27, 2006 4 night Wonder

Hi Everyone! We will be joining you on this, our first family cruise, in August. So excited!! There will be 7 of us. Me, my husband, my mother and father, and the kids- son 14, daughter almost 8, and son 5. They simply cannot grasp how big this boat must be!! We have the early seating and have booked the Blackbeards stingray excursion in Nassau. Any advice for us first timers would be greatly appreciated. So glad I found this thread. I tried posting my own but no responses....

;)

Welcome HobbitMomma and newbiecruisers.

After you come back Newbie you'll be itching to book another cruise. If you really want to impress your kids with the size of a ship, take them on a Royal Caribbean Voyager class ship with ice skating, rock climbing, mini golf etc.

Hobbit did you book the Encounter with Disney and what time do you go?

Bill

Hobbitmomma said:
Hey, thanks for the "welcome!" We have booked some excursions. We are doing the dolphin encounter in Nassau and snorkling in CC. My husband booked parasailing for himself and wants me to do it too. I haven't decided yet. I don't think we can do it together because we can't leave the kids obviously. We also already made reservations for the restaurants that we want to try in WDW. Yes, I'm also starting to gather stuff for the cruise. The "what to pack" info on this site has been really helpful. My husband and I are fairly busting with excitement to see how the kids react when they figure out where they are going! :Pinkbounc

You could leave the kids in the kids' club on CC while you and your husband go parasailing . . . I plan to leave my two younger kids there when I go off for my cabana massage.

By the way, I parasailed for the first time last year, and it was an amazing experience.

S.S.Oceanlover said:
I'm just an average Joe and don't like a lot of fuss so the Hyatt was more than I am used to. Way too fancy for me. The place was spectacular. What a pool, had a lake , golf course, horse stables and horses. Champagne at check in.

I'm used to Residence INN, Amerisuites, etc. I know it must sound funny.

It's ashame I can't put the Disney page on speed dial since I check it every day to see if we were assigned yet!

Got our confimation back from the Dolphin Encounter today.

We still have a lot of stuff still in suitcases from the last trip. :rotfl:

Bill

It does sound a little funny to "complain" about how nice a place was! I would like to try that Hyatt one day.

Did you get a GTY room? What category? The disney web site still seems to show plenty of availability in several categories for our cruise -- I don't know if that makes you more likely to get a good room, but I hope so.

Hobbit did you book the Encounter with Disney and what time do you go?

Bill[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I don't know what that is. So I guess the answer is "no" we didn't book it. What is it?

bellelinus said:
It does sound a little funny to "complain" about how nice a place was! I would like to try that Hyatt one day.

Did you get a GTY room? What category? The disney web site still seems to show plenty of availability in several categories for our cruise -- I don't know if that makes you more likely to get a good room, but I hope so.

We booked a gty cat 12.

My wife loved the hotel. Me I felt out of place. The rooms at the Hyatt were nothing special but the grounds were.

I hope we get upgraded too but if I don't I'll still be happy as long as I'm on the ship.

Hobbit,
Oh I thought you said you booked the Dolphin Encounter. My mistake. Sorry!

Bill

Welcome Newbiecruisers!!
The more the merrier :cool1: (We're DH, DS 12, DD 9 and me :goodvibes )
I think it was about the last day on our Wonder cruise in 2002 before I felt like I knew where everything was without checking a map (and DCL is considered one of the smaller cruise ships out there today!)
I went parasailing years ago on our honeymoon and found the first 5 minutes scary, the next 5 minutes exhilarating, and the last 5 minutes somewhat boring. I would definitely recommend doing it at least once, it is a great experience.
My DS loved the Scuttle's Cove on Castaway Cay when we went last time, but my DD preferred to play in the water on the beach (They were 8 and 5 at the time)
I'm hoping to get the map for the scavenger hunt on Castaway Cay the day before (Nassau day), but I'm afraid I'll miss when they hand them out since we'll be leaving the ship early that day. Anyone else thinking of trying the CC scavenger hunt ? Of course, if it is extremely hot I may not feel like moving too much :sunny:

Laurie

[
Hobbit,
Oh I thought you said you booked the Dolphin Encounter. My mistake. Sorry!

Bill

We did book the Dolphin Encounter, my mistake. :blush: I thought you said, "Disney Encounter" and I didn't know what you were talking about. Yes, we can't wait to swim with the dolphins. The kids are absolutely going to be beside themselves!

Hobbitmomma said:
We did book the Dolphin Encounter, my mistake. :blush: I thought you said, "Disney Encounter" and I didn't know what you were talking about. Yes, we can't wait to swim with the dolphins. The kids are absolutely going to be beside themselves!

OK now that we have that straightened out, did you book the Dolphin Encounter through Disney and what time are you scheduled for?

Bill

That sounds like fun! My kids love that sort of thing! How did you even know it is happening? I feel like I know nothing... Is there some sort of agenda we can look at?
I am a little unsure about the Stingray excursion. Everyone keeps saying the Dolphin Encounter is the way to go. I don't want to do an all day thing because my parents want to have time in the Straw Market. Any suggestions?
Also, my hubby and I booked Palo the last night. If we do this will we miss one of the other restuarants? Can I give my reservation to my parents if we want to?
;)

S.S.Oceanlover said:
OK now that we have that straightened out, did you book the Dolphin Encounter through Disney and what time are you scheduled for?

Bill

Yes we did book through Disney. I think we are at 10am. My husband did all of that so I'm not sure about the times. Are you going?
Sorry about my stupidity. I have tons on my plate right now and I'm lucky I can walk and talk at the same time! I need a vacation!

Newbiecruisers,

Actually, it is a treasure hunt (I was close :blush: ) and I found out about it on the regular DCL forum. (Also, I think it is listed on the recent navigators posted)
Someone recently posted that the maps/clues are given out at guest services and it sounds like I won't have a problem getting one. I kinda like puzzles and I'm not a sunbathing kind of person so I'm thinking it would be fun to try.
I had fun shopping in Nassau last time, but the kids were on the ship with DH (pool :thumbsup2 ). We did the Discover Atlantis in the morning and we had fun. (Not something I'd do again though-not sure if it's worth the money)
I've only heard good things about the Dolphin Encounter so if you can get it and can afford it, best to pick that (If you got a morning time you would have time to visit the Straw Market before dinner).

From what I've heard about the current rotation of the restaurants it goes 1223. I think Pirate night is the third night in whatever restaurant you happen to be in. Anyway, you do miss one menu regardless, unless you decide to double dip (eat lightly at both). You can make changes once you get on board or keep checking online for cancelations.
The advantage of being in Palo on the last night, is that you are saving the best food for last. Main dining rooms are good, but the Palo food is better (IMHO).

The link at the top of this page will take you to the Disney Cruise Line Forum and they have tons of info, updates, navigators from recent cruises.
My first attempt at posting a link (hope it works-can you tell I'm over 40 :blush: )

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Hobbitmomma said:
Yes we did book through Disney. I think we are at 10am. My husband did all of that so I'm not sure about the times. Are you going?
Sorry about my stupidity. I have tons on my plate right now and I'm lucky I can walk and talk at the same time! I need a vacation!

No need to apologize for anything. Just a little misunderstanding.
My wife, her friend and her friends daughter are going. The guys are going to Breezes for the day.
We did the Dolphin Encounter last summer. My wife and son loved it. I was just an observer.

Bill

First time going on cruise . With wife, d10 s16 .Little one birthday
on ship.Do they sell anything to surprise her for her birthday on the ship?

BD Moose said:
First time going on cruise . With wife, d10 s16 .Little one birthday
on ship.Do they sell anything to surprise her for her birthday on the ship?

You can get your cabin decorated for her birthday for $35.00 by calling 1-800-601-8455 or downloading an order form and faxing it.
Here's the order form link.
Disney order form

Bill

Welcome BD Moose!!

If you give your servers some advance notice they can serve a birthday cake in the dining rooms. (We were celebrating our anniversary last time we went- the cake wasn't as good as the other desserts on the menu though.)

Laurie

:cool1: :cool1: thanks for the info :banana: :banana:have a 16 b anything for him? For the dinner do you have to get dress up or is it causal ? :banana: :banana:

For the dinner do you have to get dress up or is it causal ?
I think the only requirement for dinner is no shorts or bathing suits. Dockers and polo shirts for guys and slacks/skirt and top for gals is what most wear. Some people dress up, but most don't. I don't think the Wonder has a formal night, although people might dress up more on Nassau night (2nd night).
Will definitely see some pirate costumes on pirate night (3rd night). Bellelinus and her crew are dressing up and my DD9 and I are also. :thumbsup2

Laurie

BD Moose said:
:cool1: :cool1: thanks for the info :banana: :banana:have a 16 b anything for him? For the dinner do you have to get dress up or is it causal ? :banana: :banana:

I think for the 16b just lock him in the cabin. Is 16b getting dressed up like a pirate? get him to do it, he'll have a ball.

Bill

MrsScooby said:
Newbiecruisers,

Actually, it is a treasure hunt (I was close :blush: ) and I found out about it on the regular DCL forum. (Also, I think it is listed on the recent navigators posted)
Someone recently posted that the maps/clues are given out at guest services and it sounds like I won't have a problem getting one. I kinda like puzzles and I'm not a sunbathing kind of person so I'm thinking it would be fun to try.
I had fun shopping in Nassau last time, but the kids were on the ship with DH (pool :thumbsup2 ). We did the Discover Atlantis in the morning and we had fun. (Not something I'd do again though-not sure if it's worth the money)
I've only heard good things about the Dolphin Encounter so if you can get it and can afford it, best to pick that (If you got a morning time you would have time to visit the Straw Market before dinner).

From what I've heard about the current rotation of the restaurants it goes 1223. I think Pirate night is the third night in whatever restaurant you happen to be in. Anyway, you do miss one menu regardless, unless you decide to double dip (eat lightly at both). You can make changes once you get on board or keep checking online for cancelations.
The advantage of being in Palo on the last night, is that you are saving the best food for last. Main dining rooms are good, but the Palo food is better (IMHO).

The link at the top of this page will take you to the Disney Cruise Line Forum and they have tons of info, updates, navigators from recent cruises.
My first attempt at posting a link (hope it works-can you tell I'm over 40 :blush: )

Mrs.Scooby, THnks so much for all the info. We have been camping in Quebec for a few days. I'm thinking of cancelling Palo all together because I don't want to miss any of the restaurants. Also, my daughter is turning 8 and I was hoping to celebrate it in one of the restaurants on the last night.
I tried the link but it didn't work for me. (even though I'm under 40, I'm not good at those things either.) But I'm sure I can find it. I guess the Dolphin Encounter is worth looking at again. Is the Encounter different from the Swim? I haven't been able to figure this out. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter