August 22nd 2009 Western Carribbean Anyone?

We have some friends that were considering the trip, but are nervous about it being hurricane season as well. I don't mind changing our itinerary or ports, I just hope we don't miss Castaway Cay again. We were on the 3/1 Eastern that everyone seems to be talking about & unfortunately were not able to dock :sad1:

We have some friends that were considering the trip, but are nervous about it being hurricane season as well. I don't mind changing our itinerary or ports, I just hope we don't miss Castaway Cay again. We were on the 3/1 Eastern that everyone seems to be talking about & unfortunately were not able to dock :sad1:

Never say never, but the bigger risk with sailing in August is the heat at Castaway Cay.

In terms of hurricanes, I think the bigger risk is missing a port like Grand Cayman than CC. The hurricanes in August tend to track south of the Bahamas and follow the extremely warm waters of the southern Caribbean.

We cruised last August when it looked like Hurricane Dean would head for the Bahamas and instead it made landfall in Costa Maya, Mexico.

I think I read a post on DIS a few years ago that listed the days when the ships couldn't dock at CC and I believe most of them happen during the winter months than the summer months.

I tell people I never let the risk of hurricanes prevent me from booking in August.

We hae some friends that are also considering it. They really want to go, they don't care about the ports or weather. One of them is starting a new job and they are waiting to put down deposit. They want to make sure everyting is ok before they book. They really want to go. They would also be celebrating theoor 10th ann.
Their kids got very upset because they did not go on our cruise in Jan. They begged too come along.What they did not know was they were getting a surprise trip to WDW the next week.

I have been on ships where we have had to miss Grand Cayman. I can't remember the months, though. If we have to have an extra sea day, I would not mind.
We were looking at the eastern because of that reason. But, the kids wanted to see something different.

Yes, a Disney cruise is as good as it looks in the DVD. on the sea days was

I can not wait. We have sailed on NCL, RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and Majesty lines. They were all similar and different experiences. We love to cruise.
We thought we would try DCl because the kids are getting older. Neither one of them are interested in going back to WDW. But, they love the idea of a Disney cruise.

I can not wait. We have sailed on NCL, RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and Majesty lines. They were all similar and different experiences. We love to cruise.
We thought we would try DCl because the kids are getting older. Neither one of them are interested in going back to WDW. But, they love the idea of a Disney cruise.

My kids won't cruise anything but DCL. A while back when there were rumors that the Magic would not be in the Caribbean in the summer of 2009 we were looking at other cruiselines and the kids were devastated.

We're celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary on this cruise.

DS is already talking about taking another DCL crise when he is able to go to the teen program.
I have heard so many mixed reviews about DCL. But, all lines have things that make them good and bad.

A cruise is what you make of it.
: :beach: :party:

Our last 2 trips were in the winter. For those of you that have sailed during the summer months, how hot does it normally get in August? I was thinking about bringing my mom along, but she has some health issues and she doesn't do well in extreme heat.

Our last 2 trips were in the winter. For those of you that have sailed during the summer months, how hot does it normally get in August? I was thinking about bringing my mom along, but she has some health issues and she doesn't do well in extreme heat.

I got this of the DCL site Average temp for Aug
Castaway Cay-high 88/ low 78
Key West 90/ 79
Cozemel 89/ 74
Grand Cay. 88/80

Not as hot as I thought. We usually visit my dad in Texas during this week and it is 105.

It can be mixed with the heat in August. I've seen it so hot in Grand Cayman and Cozumel that it felt like my clothes would literally melt off.

But then I've had it hotter in New Jersey than in Cozumel.

Same with Castaway Cay. I've seen it so hot that I'm running to the outdoor showers to cool off and other times when it was cool, cloudy and windy.

It all comes down to the weather and how overcast it is that day.

I can't deny that there is the risk of it being very hot.

What happens is that you tend to do water-based shore excursions: snorkeling/swimming and less of the walking/hiking tours.

But the sea days are just glorious with the sea breezes and being outside at night is just wonderful not matter how hot it got during the day.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to leave the decision to my mom, but I have a feeling she won't want to go.

We've only been home for 9 days & I feel like the cruise was 3 months ago. I can't believe I have to wait until next August to go again :sad2: . Wow, I never expected to be so addicted to cruising.....and now I'm addicted to the dis boards! I need help! :laughing:

Wayneg-
Have a wonderful time on vacation. I wish I was going ,too.
I am sick of all this cold weather.

Wayneg-
Have a wonderful time on vacation. I wish I was going ,too.
I am sick of all this cold weather.

It feels like its been a long winter here, not been bad weather really but long. We usually go away for Xmas but not been away since October so that has not helped. Taxi collects us on Saturday morning 10am, soon be here and forcasts look to be 80-90 so thats good.

:scared1: The snow is falling now. By tomorrow morning, there should be at least 8 inches. I wish I was leaving soon. ALot of airports are being delayed because of snow/ wind.

I feel soory for those who are trying to get somweplace warm from the midwest. Most flights from chicago have been canceled or 6 hour delays. New York is a 1-3 hour delay becasue of wind. Detroit has no problemas as of now. They have over 100 snow plows t keep the runways clean. But, soon snow willing be falling at 2 inches an hour.

:scared1: The snow is falling now. By tomorrow morning, there should be at least 8 inches.

Do you get sick of all the snow? We really haven't had any snow at all this winter. I do wish we could have had one good storm, but now I'm just ready for warm weather.

It supposed to be chilly/rainy/light snow tomorrow for us. Unfortunately my DS is in a soccer tournament all day, so I get to be stuck an hour away from home & in the rain for 3 games.

This year we have gotten several big storms +8 inches. Then, it melts and we start all over. It was 65 degrees last week.
The kids always look forward to snow days.
Winter just seems to go on and on and on this year. Last year, we hardly had any snow.

They wanted to go to the park this week to unse the clinbing sturtures but, I guess we will go sleding instead.

The winter in NJ has been schizophrenic for the past two years. Warm followed a freeze up followed by warm.

Last winter we had two severe ice storms.

This winter has been heavy rain and almost no snow. I read we had the wettest February on record.

I've been reading on DIS about that snowstorm in WI and MI. I thought that "storm" was supposed to be just a clipper and fast moving. That storm looked like it wouldn't budge and by the time it made it to NJ we just had overcast skies.

As an avid skier I am a winter weather junkie. Last November Accuweather published their long range winter forecast and it was absolutely right. They predicted it would be stormy at the beginning and end of the winter and mild in the middle. That's exactly what happened in NJ.

I think the la nina had a lot to do with the crazy weather this winter.

I'll be blunt - I'm so reluctant to take a winter vacation that involves flying anywhere because of the risk of airport closures and that it can take days to reschedule a flight.

Last winter my DB and SIL had to cancel a vacation to Cancun when we got hit by an ice storm. Couldn't get another flight for four days so they bailed out completely.

And people worry about the risk of sailing in August and hurricanes. :confused3

BTW....we just got back from our last ski day of the season. It was slushy in the afternoon but we had a blast.

DH has been wanting to teach the kids how to ski. They have not been interested. Every time we have a "free" weekend, the snow has melted.
DH and DS are both heavily involved with Cub Scouts. DD is in Brownies. It keps us all busy.

Today was pretty exciting. We got into a car accident. Everyone is okay but, DH's car not. We are waiting until Monday to find out IF its fixable. Dh is hoping its not because he has been wanting a new car- but we still have a year left to pay it off. He's hoping to get enough $ back to cover loan and more. I told him reat! We can take the $$$ and pay off DCL and book another. :confused3 I don't see the problem. He just laughed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter