At Least We Are All Tall Enough For Barnstormer! A June 2017 PTR...updated 6/1

How much are the cards discounted? We have a membership and could do that. But I thought it wasn't really a big discount.... Maybe I was wrong.
It's just 5% but you have to get the $1000. The others aren't discounted that much. I actually do t have a membership but you don't need one to order the cards online. I was going to do it at Target but I couldn't use my Disney Visa and get the reward dollars.

Look at it this way, If you played it by ear and ended up needing one and rented one in the part, those are like $0 or $50 for one day.
Yeh, I'm just going to have to reserve for the whole time.

You could take him over to The Nemo and Friends ride. It isn't too far away. It is out of the building but not too bad.
I'll think about that. We are going to do Nemo on our other Epcot day but he could always ride twice.

Just wanted to say that I'm reading your last TR and love it! I'm feeling your pain about going with people who don't leave on time, when you're a person who has done a ton of planning! We are going to WDW for the first time this April. We're DLR vets, and DLR is a place where you don't really have to plan much, but even for those trips I'm a mega-planner. So I'm sure you can only imagine how much planning I'm doing for WDW. We often do these trips with my in-laws (this one is me, DH, DD12, DS8, DMIL and DFIL), and even though everyone says they love all the planning I do, we invariably hit the "rope drop" problem, so we have learned to just go on and tell my in-laws to catch up later. Unfortunately, though, this isn't going to work as easily on this trip, as we are staying at BCV and have a rental car to drive to MK because it seems like such a pain to get there and to DS by bus (in-laws insisted on the car). Which means we all *have to* leave for MK at the same time (unless I can convince kids to get up extra early and take the bus to get to Rope Drop on time!

Just wanted to say that I'm reading your last TR and love it! I'm feeling your pain about going with people who don't leave on time, when you're a person who has done a ton of planning! We are going to WDW for the first time this April. We're DLR vets, and DLR is a place where you don't really have to plan much, but even for those trips I'm a mega-planner. So I'm sure you can only imagine how much planning I'm doing for WDW. We often do these trips with my in-laws (this one is me, DH, DD12, DS8, DMIL and DFIL), and even though everyone says they love all the planning I do, we invariably hit the "rope drop" problem, so we have learned to just go on and tell my in-laws to catch up later. Unfortunately, though, this isn't going to work as easily on this trip, as we are staying at BCV and have a rental car to drive to MK because it seems like such a pain to get there and to DS by bus (in-laws insisted on the car). Which means we all *have to* leave for MK at the same time (unless I can convince kids to get up extra early and take the bus to get to Rope Drop on time!
Thank you for reading! Ah a fellow planner whose plans get thrown to the wayside...lol! :) If I had had my DH with me this past June, I would've done the whole catch up with me later thing. I actually did do it on the Friday at DHS so I could get AJ signed up for Jedi Training, but they had Will, so it wasn't as hard in me.

As far as MK, I would suggest the bus...only bc driving was a pain to MK. Having to park at TTC then monorailing over took a long time. So if you can do the bus, go for it bc it will save you time!

My response is, of course, delayed! I've been spending all of my free Disney time trying to cram as much Disneyland info into my brain as possible. We used Orlando Stroller Rental both times we rent strollers and thought they were great. I remember doing the extra day back and forth as well! Ultimately, we decided to just do the extra day rather than deal with the hassle of trying to figure out how to work around it. You're only a couple of weeks away from FP+ booking! I wish we had more info about the new Pandora FP rides. Do either of your kids meet the height requirement for the banshee ride?

My response is, of course, delayed! I've been spending all of my free Disney time trying to cram as much Disneyland info into my brain as possible. We used Orlando Stroller Rental both times we rent strollers and thought they were great. I remember doing the extra day back and forth as well! Ultimately, we decided to just do the extra day rather than deal with the hassle of trying to figure out how to work around it. You're only a couple of weeks away from FP+ booking! I wish we had more info about the new Pandora FP rides. Do either of your kids meet the height requirement for the banshee ride?
Thank you for your reply, even if it is delayed! ;) I hope you are learning lots of DLR info you can pass along to me! :) yeh, I think I'll just pony up the extra to have the stroller the whole time. I mean, it's just $21.

I don't think either boys are tall enough for the banshee ride, though AJ could very well be....he'd never ride it though. As a matter of fact, I won't be either! But Chad wants to. So I was gonna split our FPs - me for EE and him for the banshee ride. But we all want to do the Nav'i River ride and ROL....so we shall see how it shakes out. I do have a TH ROL dining pkg booked but now I've gone and switched our Epcot and AK day and I haven't been able to replicate that one. Ugh, I hate the not knowing.

What day is your AK day now? I have a ROL TH that I haven't canceled yet.

I can't imagine skipping the new ride, but to each her own. ;) I will be happy to pass on any DL info but right now I'm struggling! I've been spoiled by FP+ and it's hard to switch back into the legacy mindset. Plus I'm not familiar with traffic patterns over there and then throw on the ease of park hopping and I'm lost as to how to put a plan together!

The not knowing is, of course, the worst. I escaped it this year with the trip being canceled, but fear we will likely be in the same boat again next year with Toy Story land. It's always something! Y'all are going to have so much fun, though.

I'd just do the longer rental... if you don't, you could be totally kicking yourself!

We are taking both kids on the banshee ride and just hoping DD5 doesn't realize what she's in for till too late! But we'll put her between us though... so if she freaks no-one hears her. She reluctantly accepts "ride it once" logic though, so that makes it easier. If she doesn't handle Thunder or Mine Train well, I'll let her sit out EE though.

What day is your AK day now? I have a ROL TH that I haven't canceled yet.
Wednesday, June 7th. Thank you for thinking of me with that!

I can't imagine skipping the new ride, but to each her own. ;)
I don't do well with simulator rides, unfortunately. Soarin' is about it for me. No Star Tours. I did Body Wars once when it was around and I was so sick. Never again!

I will be happy to pass on any DL info but right now I'm struggling! I've been spoiled by FP+ and it's hard to switch back into the legacy mindset. Plus I'm not familiar with traffic patterns over there and then throw on the ease of park hopping and I'm lost as to how to put a plan together!
That would drive me nuts! As much as I complain, I like having some of the day scheduled due to FP+. It just seems easier to fill stuff in around those. Have you tried Touring Plans for Disneyland?

The not knowing is, of course, the worst. I escaped it this year with the trip being canceled, but fear we will likely be in the same boat again next year with Toy Story land. It's always something! Y'all are going to have so much fun, though.
It seems like that is going to be the norm going forward at WDW...so I suppose I should get used to it, huh? I am doing things a little differently this year. I am making a full day's plan for each day but I'm adding in Photopass breaks, and just repeating rides at night at MK so that it can be more loosey goosey and we can change it around if necessary.

I'd just do the longer rental... if you don't, you could be totally kicking yourself!
Yeh, I begrudgingly agree.

We are taking both kids on the banshee ride and just hoping DD5 doesn't realize what she's in for till too late! But we'll put her between us though... so if she freaks no-one hears her.
My 5 year old is NOT a thrill rider. I know his limits so its just not worth the trouble, and I don't do well with simulator rides (Soarin is my limit). The weird thing is, my DH claims to not like thrill rides but he likes simulator stuff and BTMRR. Okay, whatever....lol.

She reluctantly accepts "ride it once" logic though, so that makes it easier.
My 5 year is so NOT like this...lol.

If she doesn't handle Thunder or Mine Train well, I'll let her sit out EE though.
AJ did not enjoy 7DMT AT ALL! He handled it fine but you may or may not have seen the ride photos in my TR, where he is terrified! Lol. In any case, I am not getting him on it or anything worse. We did talk him into trying Barnstormer this trip and repeating Splash Mtn (he liked it except for the drop).

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes
So you all may or may not know this...I don't like change. It causes me anxiety. I am not a go with the flow type of gal. However, I do okay after I get some time to adjust to the change. And if I am expecting it or am prepared for it because I know it is in the realm of possibility, I learn to deal with it a lot faster than otherwise. For this very reason, I rarely change my Disney plans once set unless the change is necessitated by Disney.

So the point of all that is to say....tada....I've made changes! I can blame one of the changes on Disney in a roundabout way, but the other is all me....though it is my rigidness that is the cause for the change, if that makes any sense...lol. To explain (and ramble)....

My first change is to move Whispering Canyon Cafe to Friday night. I originally had it scheduled for Tuesday night. Both days are MK days. Tuesday was BOG lunch, WCC dinner and Friday was 'Ohana breakfast and Pecos Bill dinner. Well, once I started working on my touring plans, I found that Pecos Bill would not work on Friday night. Here goes the rambling...

I am planning 3 days in MK, all rope drops or fairly close to rope drops. Sunday, I will start out in Adventure/Frontierland, Tuesday in Tomorrowland, and Friday (AM EMH) in Fantasyland. On Sunday we have breakfast at Crystal Palace so it just kind of works out to start on that side of the park, though I don't know if that is why I started out on that side or not. Friday is EMH and I want to see Peter Pan's standby queue. I figured it would be best to hit it at rope drop so as not to stand in a very long line, and AM EMH would be even less people to deal with at PP, and Fantasyland, as a whole. So that leaves Tomorrowland for Tuesday.

So, we will want to hit most MK rides twice and maybe three times if they are favorites but we obviously don't want to hit them again the very same day. We have 3 days, we might as well spread them out. Therefore, we will be hitting Tomorrowland again on Friday night, which was originally scheduled as our Pecos Bill night...but we would be all the way across the park, and that won't work. So, I thought about changing to Cosmic Rays, but I don't really want to. I thought about changing to Pinocchio's Village Haus but, honestly, I really want to try Pecos Bill. We didn't try it last year and it looks like some good offerings. So because I don't want to change my QS (weird, I know), I changed our WCC ressie from Tuesday to Friday evening. And Pecos Bill's fits in our Tuesday evening plans because we will be going from Fantasyland to Adventure/Frontierland that evening.

My second change is the biggie....I am switching my Epcot and AK days. Ok, here's the ramblings...I mean, reasoning...lol. I originally had Epcot scheduled Wednesday, AK Thursday, and MK Friday with AM EMH. When I originally planned all this, AK was closing at 7pm. Now, I pretty much figured that wouldn't stand but I didn't really know how late they would extend closing to. Well, cue ROL and Pandora and of course, AK hours were extended to 10pm. And honestly, I bet they eventually extend them until 10:30 or 11. Well, Epcot, of course, closes at 9 (though we will be there a tad later to watch Illuminations), so I'm fairly certain that we can be back at WL earlier on our Epcot night than our AK night. I mean, there are several things I want to try to cram into the nighttime hours at AK (ROL, EE at night, Pandora, possibly a right-before-sunset safari) so I'm fairly certain we will close the place down.

Then I started thinking about when we will all need to get up for our MK days. Pretty much 6am for me and maybe 6:30/6:45 for DH and 7:00 for the boys. And that is probably pushing it as late as I can. So while I don't mind suffering with little sleep for the sake of a Disney vacation, I don't think DH will enjoy that aspect of it and I am trying to create a life-long fan here! So, while walking on the treadmill on Saturday, I experienced an epiphany! I'll move Epcot to Thursday, therefore allowing my family more sleep before MK AM EMH! Great...now what do I need to do??

Well, I obviously needed to switch ADRs. Sounds easy enough right? HAHAHAHA. This is what I had scheduled:
Wed - Bon Voyage breakfast, Via Napoli dinner
Thurs - Tusker House breakfast with ROL dining package, Sanaa dinner

At that time, I was able to switch Sanaa only. I did set up a ressie finder for Via Napoli and was able to switch it the next day, albeit a little earlier than I'd like, so I'll keep watching for a later time. To be able to look for a TH pkg, I had to drop Bon Voyage and honestly, when I scheduled that, I knew there was a slim-to-none chance we would do it, so I just dropped it.

Unfortunately, even after dropping Bon Voyage, I have not been able to find a TH pkg yet...and there is no way to set up a ressie finder for it. I even set one up for a regular TH ressie and one of those was available...but none for the pkg. Many of you may remember that I prefer to just get a FP for ROL, but because of the speculation on tiers at AK once Pandora opens, I want to have a back up plan. So I'll just keep looking. Maybe one will become available once FP time comes, as maybe someone will drop the dining pkg in favor of the FP. But other than just checking, there really isn't much I can do and not switching the days just to keep the pkg really isn't worth it, I don't think.

And there they are, my two changes, in a nutshell...well not really; actually completely opposite of in a nutshell, but you know what I mean. :)

In other news, if it isn't obvious from my first change, I pretty much finished all three days of my MK touring plans, save the extra hours once closing gets extended. So now I just need to work on my AK day (which I started but need to re-work since Pandora has been announced), my full Epcot day, and my DHS day. I probably won't even look at my Monday DHS evening until the Star Wars dessert party is announced. I won't be scheduling FP for that park on that night, so no need to rush those plans, which would be a big fat guess anyway.

I still need to finish my food budget, and I'm worried I may end up having to drop an ADR or two, due to funds. If so, I'm thinking Beaches and Cream is first on the chopping block. Next would probably be Via Napoli or Trail's End. Boo hoo!

I also need to reserve the stroller, which I'll do this week and, later, once I do finish my food budget, get the discounted gift cards to pay for it.

I did get in on a Memory Maker share, so I paid less than $25 for that. Good way to save some moolah.

And last, I started a preliminary general packing list of non clothing type items and a grocery type list.

*Wiping brow* I'm sure there is something I am forgetting, but for now, that's all I got. 22 days until FP and online check in, 82 days til Disney! Wahoo!

Up next: Initial Touring Plans: Tuesday, June 6 - MK Day 2

Last edited:
My daughter hated Thunder and Splash last year at DL. She did like Soarin' though.... mostly. She did actually do Thunder twice under duress because I pointed out to her that her brother did all her Princess junk without (too much) complaining and he wants to ride again, so buck up. Well... nicer than that! But, she did it. My son (6) HATED all the big rides he did in DL at 4 but loved them all at 5... so we keep reminding her of that! We do plan to split up a little this time as well. When she and I do BBB and the Cindy/Elena meet, the boys will go ride Space. I am surprised my son wants to ride space, he hates the dark, but he wants to. Our second AK day, if the boys want to repeat EE, Katie and I will go meet Pochohantas and we will all meet up at Mickey and Minnie. We haven't really split up before, so I think this will be good. It's just a little, but saves my son from some princess time and lets him do things he likes.

We have all the same MK days! Our plan is:
Sunday- Adventureland/Frontierland until after lunch. Then the train over to meet Donald and Goofy (and the girls if we have time). Then do Speedway with a FP (UGH!!!!) and then see what we can get to in TL and FL before an early BOG dinner.

Tuesday- Fantasyland through CRT lunch at 1:00. We will do Pan at RD. Then Enchanted Tales with Belle and maybe Mickey's Philharmagic to extend that mid day rest. Then over to Tomorrowland. Basically, every day ends with seeing what we can get to in Tomorrowland!

Friday- EMH, probably start in FL, but if we didn't do Buzz or Astro Orbiter yet, prob there first. This day is tougher to plan because it is like a repeat/make up day. So... without knowing what we will get to exactly, it is harder to figure out. I think I will FP 7D, Splash and Thunder just since those are harder to get. If we want to repeat Pan, we will likely be there in line with you! If we con't want to repeat the coasters, it will be easier to change them mid week than get them.

My daughter hated Thunder and Splash last year at DL. She did like Soarin' though.... mostly.
AJ enjoyed Soarin (mostly). He also enjoyed Splash except the drop, so I think I can bribe him back on. He is also willing to try Haunted Mansion, though I may end up asking to skip the stretching room. Got to think on that more. He's even struggling with Barnstormer, but we are all doing that one!

My son (6) HATED all the big rides he did in DL at 4 but loved them all at 5
i a man hoping this happens with AJ eventually. Maybe after he sees his younger brother doing it all in a couple of years!

We haven't really split up before
I'm afraid to do this too much bc my DH is totally clueless about WDW. I feel like if I can control where he is and where he is headed, I can make sure he doesn't get himself into frustrating situations!

We have all the same MK days!
Yay! Well I've posted MK day 1 so once I post the other 2 days, we can figure out a good Dis meet time and place. I'm wondering if Main Street before the Welcome Show might be a good time one day?

This day is tougher to plan because it is like a repeat/make up day. So... without knowing what we will get to exactly, it is harder to figure out.
This is most of our MK evenings. I want to plan them so I know FPs to schedule but I also want to leave them open to whatever we decide. So my solution is to plan but be flexible!

If we want to repeat Pan, we will likely be there in line with you!
Another potential meeting spot!

If we con't want to repeat the coasters, it will be easier to change them mid week than get them.
I totally agree. I'm definitely scheduling a few BTMRR stops (and FPs) bc that's one I absolutely love (2nd fave ride in Disney) and one DH likes, as well!

So the point of all that is to say....tada....I've made changes!
Congrats on embracing change! Change can be good.

I really want to try Pecos Bill
We love Pecos Bills. That and Columbia Harbour House are our go-to CS. You can totally share a fajita platter between two adults.

So, while walking on the treadmill on Saturday, I experienced an epiphany!
My epiphany's come while driving two and from work...

Maybe one will become available once FP time comes, as maybe someone will drop the dining pkg in favor of the FP.
That is a good thought! That or you could also do a last ditch effort around 48 hours before the penalty.

I still need to finish my food budget, and I'm worried I may end up having to drop an ADR or two, due to funds. If so, I'm thinking Beaches and Cream is first on the chopping block. Next would probably be Via Napoli or Trail's End. Boo hoo!
Those are all really good choices!!! It's always like choosing which child to let go...

*Wiping brow* I'm sure there is something I am forgetting, but for now, that's all I got. 22 days until FP and online check in, 82 days til Disney! Wahoo!
22 Days!!! So close! I have 9 days before I can make my ADR's... I can't wait.

Congrats on embracing change! Change can be good.
Tell that to my anxiety! ;)

We love Pecos Bills. That and Columbia Harbour House are our go-to CS. You can totally share a fajita platter between two adults.
Good to know! CHH is definitely my fave but I'm looking forward to trying Pecos Bill!

My epiphany's come while driving two and from work...
Mine usually come in the middle of the night after I wake up bc of a kid or for a bathroom break...and then I can't go back to sleep! :worried:

That is a good thought! That or you could also do a last ditch effort around 48 hours before the penalty.
I will definitely try that, as well, if necessary!

Those are all really good choices!!! It's always like choosing which child to let go...
I know, right??

22 Days!!! So close! I have 9 days before I can make my ADR's... I can't wait.
It is going so fast now that we hit double digits! And yay for ADRs!

Thanks for posting your pre-trip report. I've been following along. I'll be there for my first trip about the same time as you June 5th-14th. I just wanted to pop in and say thank you since I learn so much from these trip reports.

Thanks for posting your pre-trip report. I've been following along. I'll be there for my first trip about the same time as you June 5th-14th. I just wanted to pop in and say thank you since I learn so much from these trip reports.
Thanks for reading and replying! And wahoo for your first trip! I hope you become as obsessed as I am! Where are you staying?

Thanks for reading and replying! And wahoo for your first trip! I hope you become as obsessed as I am! Where are you staying?

Pop Century. We decided less money on hotel and more money on splurges. We have Wishes Dessert Party already booked and like you I'm hoping to get the Star Wars Dessert Party reserved. If they would only release the dates :rolleyes:

Pop Century. We decided less money on hotel and more money on splurges. We have Wishes Dessert Party already booked and like you I'm hoping to get the Star Wars Dessert Party reserved. If they would only release the dates :rolleyes:
Sounds like a great first trip! Let me know if any plans overlap...maybe we can do a quick mini Dis meet! :)

Aw, don't drop Trails End , it's so good!
Totally get switching so DH can sleep a bit and hopefully build his Disney love! I do things like that, or try, for the boys. Steve is the only one who enjoys getting up early and while I don't mind as much when in Disney, if I know we're doing a late night I try my best not to have to be somewhere before 7 the next morning for my own sanity.

We haven't eaten at Pecos Bills in years but I recently saw a picture of their nachos in a dining review and they looked delicious :) Might have to sacrifice CHH for those sometime! Also not wanting to change a QS makes complete sense, as much as not wanting to change a TS. I know what we like and what we've been wanting to try and the food in Disney is a big part of the experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter