At a buffet, do you ever think to yourself "PIG"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m back on here and looking into DVC and I looked into my history and found this gem.

I thought it was necessary to clarify and dig it up, not because I want to argue, but I had 0 clue how much this post would offend and I wanted to clarify and maybe open a discussion for others who have similar food struggles/issues.

I’ve always struggled with my weight. When I originally posted this I was at my thinnest, dieting like a fiend, and planning my wedding. We were going to Disney and to be honest I just wanted to eat it all on our honeymoon 😂😂. I have always had a hang up about my body and at that time I had lost 50 lbs and still felt fat in a size 8. I was and still am VERY uncomfortable and self conscious at buffets. I felt/feel like people are looking at what I’m eating and thinking I’m a pig each time I go up.

I shared that thought with my fiancée at the time, now husband, and he sayid people don’t give a fudge what you are doing on vacation at a buffet, they are focused on themselves.

I came here to see what people thought. I tried to make it light and keep my personal issues out if it but I see it hit a chord. For that I apologize.

Another reason why I felt the need to comment again- I still feel this way (self conscious at a buffet) and love that my husband was right!

Also, thanks to those who gave me the benefit of the doubt :)

Are you self conscious in the buffet line, too?

i think the only time I’ve paid attention to another diners food (not in my party)
Was at either Columbia harbour house or pecos bill-
We were waiting in line to order and I thought to myself; wow -they really love carrots
As we got closer, I realised the ‘carrots’ were actually cheese.
That made much more sense to me. :magnify:

I prefer to see people take multiple trips rather than overload their plates and not finish it. Still I try not to judge others and instead concentrate on enjoying myself.

As my son once said when he was a young lad... The key to a buffet is to eat until you are full and then have one more serving. :)

The only time I ever eat at a buffet is at Disney.

I am blissfully unaware of other diners.

I am in the particular about food section of folks.
No touching of foods
No hot & cold together foods
Clean plates for different items

I am also disabled and overweight/obese.
I may make many trips to the buffet for items-but I don’t care.
I do not eat an awful lot.
I am unable to eat to ‘bursting point’
I can feel satisfied but never get to the stuffed feeling.
I don’t eat meat.
I don’t eat dessert.
There are many other dietary restrictions in my life.

In fact; once at H&V the server told me to go get some food!

I’m alive & on vacation.
That’s all that matters to me.

The only thing I might take note of is this: someone filling up a plate to an extreme excess. And then I think, they don't want to get up again, it's a one and done.
But honestly, I could care less about what anyone else is doing and I personally make 5 to 6 trips. Same as previously stated, I want hot food hot and I like sampling small portions of things.

I agree that one should probably make additional trips rather than pile heaps of food on all at once, and even that is not anything I'd pass judgement on. Besides, let 'em think what they want, it's not like you're gonna bump into them at Starbucks when you get home;)

Few people pay big bucks for a buffet just so they can have a small portion of food. :earsboy:

Not at all. I go up multiple times but just go to the station I want food at each time, so I’m up and down. And I don’t worry or care about what others are putting on their plates.

Some people like to start at the beginning of the buffet line and get a little bit of everything. By the time they reach the end of the buffet line their plates may be piled high. We all like to buffet differently. :)

I go up multiple times because I like to take a bit at a time. If it is something I liked, I will go get more of it, but usually I try to sample as many different foods as possible. The only thing I worry about is giving the waitstaff more dishes to clear.

In reference to another diner that you've seen go up once or twice before? How many times to they have to go up before you think it? Does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Odd questions but I'm intrigued... :wave:

**Edit to add in 2019 As I missed the complete craziness this became in 2006**

9/21/19 - So I’m back on here and looking into DVC and I looked into my history and found this gem.

I thought it was necessary to clarify and dig it up, not because I want to argue, but I had 0 clue how much this post would offend and I wanted to clarify and maybe open a discussion for others who have similar food struggles/issues.

I’ve always struggled with my weight. When I originally posted this I was at my thinnest, dieting like a fiend, and planning my wedding. We were going to Disney and to be honest I just wanted to eat it all on our honeymoon 😂😂. I have always had a hang up about my body and at that time I had lost 50 lbs and still felt fat in a size 8. I was and still am VERY uncomfortable and self conscious at buffets. I felt/feel like people are looking at what I’m eating and thinking I’m a pig each time I go up.

I shared that thought with my fiancée at the time, now husband, and he sayid people don’t give a fudge what you are doing on vacation at a buffet, they are focused on themselves.

I came here to see what people thought. I tried to make it light and keep my personal issues out if it but I see it hit a chord. For that I apologize.

Another reason why I felt the need to comment again- I still feel this way (self conscious at a buffet) and love that my husband was right!

Also, thanks to those who gave me the benefit of the doubt :)

I'm way past the point in life where eating at buffets is something I enjoy. The only one I like at WDW is CG's Sunday brunch and I'm straining my mind to think of one I've eaten at outside the bubble excepting the occasional wedding. I don't have a concern eating buffet style if it's a private residence and the food is home cooked though.

I'll admit that in my callow youth I not only ate at buffets but watched others getting their food. And the looking tended to be directed at those with obvious eating disorders whether too thin or too fat. I guess I'm comfortably in my own skin now so don't focus on looks much anymore. Now if I could only stop thinking about those older children being pushed around in double wide strollers at WDW why I'd be ready for sainthood :lmao:.

Last edited:
I feel like I make a couple dozen trips to the buffet! I am getting kids their food, of which they don't like separate foods to touch each other😭. I also never know whether each kid will like something and would rather get a tiny bit on the plate, then go back for more if they do like it, rather than waste food. Finally, I get to feed myself lol....I always get a food plate, then a dessert plate afterwards. If someone in the restaurant is watching me though, they must think I eat a ton!
I don't have time to pay attention to someone else's eating habits outside of my own family, and honestly unless someone is choking and needs help, I couldn't care less how much or what they eat.

Last edited:
I don't pay any attention to what other diners eat, how much, or how often they go up to the buffet.
Exactly, Who lives like that? When we are on vacation....Especially WDW or DLR We stay in our lane. I dont care what others do and they shouldn't care what I do. Best way to live. Your business is none of my business.- And my business is not yours...
As my grandma sad......NEVER trouble trouble...unless trouble troubles you.....then give it to them hard!

I'm way past the point in life where eating at buffets is something I enjoy. The only one I like at WDW is CG's Sunday brunch and I'm straining my mind to think of one I've eaten at outside the bubble excepting the occasional wedding. I don't have a concern eating buffet style if it's a private residence and the food is home cooked though.

I'll admit that in my callow youth I not only ate at buffets but watched others getting their food. And the looking tended to be directed at those with obvious eating disorders whether too thin or too fat. I guess I'm comfortably in my own skin now so don't focus on looks much anymore. Now if I could only stop thinking about those older children being pushed around in double wide strollers at WDW why I'd be ready for sainthood :lmao:.

Not all really fat and thin people have "obvious eating disorders". I am "normal" sized (anywhere from a 6-10), and I eat a lot more than many of the "fat" people I know. I also know very skinny people that can practically eat their weight (and no, they aren't going and throwing it up again).

I don't care how many times a guest visits the buffet, unless they are loading up Tupperware containers they brought from home!!! hahaha

I'm a plate heaper for sure: I just like to try a bite of everything but so many things are portioned such that you can't just take a little--you have to take the whole piece of chicken etc., and I don't like to leave my kids alone at the table to go back for multiple plates. If anyone looks at me and thinks I am pigging out, I will proudly say oink. Couldn't care less what others think about what I am eating because it has NOTHING to do with them.

My only buffet pet peeve is when I see people do something gross in terms of health risks like picking up food with their hands and putting it back, or coughing or sneezing on the buffet or even one time, taking a BITE of something and putting it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter