Astro Orbiter- what's so bad about it?

LuluLovesDisney

<font color=red>If you're not outraged, you're not
I can't remember going on it (I went when I was a child when it was named something else but haven't gone on recently) but I was surprised to see on the poll thread that so many people won't ride it, or didn't like it.

Can you tell me why you didn't like it- or why it's bad? I was imagining it to be like Dumbo or Aladdin's Carpets with different theming. Is it different? Thanks! :goodvibes

I think it used to be called Star Jets. The reason some people have a problem with it is that it's much, much higher and spins faster than Dumbo. I've heard of several people that were afraid of heights or got motion sickness and didn't enjoy this ride.

Does anyone have any pictures of this ride? I too was suprised that there were so many that didn't like it, but I can't even remember what it looks like!

Here's a link to the DIS site page about this ride (with pictures). I have not been on it because I just can't handle spinning (especially that high in the air).
I know one reason my DH and oldest DD don't like it is that you have to ride a small elevator up to and down from the ride boarding area. DD also doesn't like boarding it because you are so high up.

LuluLovesDisney said:
Can you tell me why you didn't like it- or why it's bad? I was imagining it to be like Dumbo or Aladdin's Carpets with different theming. Is it different? Thanks! :goodvibes

It's not bad. It's evil . I felt like I was going to be flung out the thing, and seeing as how I'm not really all that fond of heights, it was a rather unpleasant experience. It's one of those ride where I can say "I did it, but I'm never doing it again."

Actually, I don't think it's that bad. I like going at the end of the day/night (depending on hours) and taking in the view from up high. It's not a must-do for me, but given the opportunity of a short or non-exsistant line I will always go.

I rode Dumbo with DS the same trip I rode the Astro Orbiter and Dumbo was fine. We rode the flying carpets the trip before that, and that was fine. The Astro Orbiter does spin faster, and that is what did me in. I have no problem with heights, it was the spinning. I tried to "spot" like dancers do to keep from getting dizzy, but that didn't work. When the ride stopped DH came over and said "You didn't like that, did you?" He was in a rocket with DS and I was by myself. If DS wants to go on them again then more power to him - I'm waiting for him on the ground.

Oh, and that elevator to get to the load area is FAR worse than ToT. It is tiny, cramped, and hot. :crowded:

I didnt like it because of a few things, one being the elevator ride up. it was too cramped in and then back down :crazy2:. two, they seemed to be difficult to get in and out of, it was like they were too high off the ground or something and then to get out of was difficult for me (im fat not pooh sized :rolleyes: ) to pull myself out of there. Now my kids loved them :yay:, I just couldnt handle it.

For me, the long long wait in line was not worth it.

A find this kind of crazy, I'm nervous about going on ToT on my next trip (wimped out on two previous visits) but I'm stunned that there are some people who find Astro Orbiter scarier. I was assuming people were joking. :rotfl2:

It's just like the Dumbo ride but a little faster and raised off the ground. It's great at night - such a good view and a whirl of lights. I wouldn't go make a big effort to go on it though - the theming is OK but it is little different from what you would find at most travelling fairgrounds. :wave:

I like the height and the rotation, but for as fast as it is, the seats need to be more comfortable. With the high speed, you get pushed into the edge of the cockpit, it gets me just slight below my elbow, and it really hurts to have it pressed against that edge for the whole ride.

I have done Dumbo, Aladdins's, Tea Cups, Star Tours....never had a problem.
Also my favorite all time ride at WDW is Tower of Terror! Love it.
Have also done Mission Space :thumbsup2 and RnR Coaster.

BUT....I will NEVER, EVER get on those Astro Orbiters ever again!!!!
I don't know what is it about that ride but I got motion sickness for the 1st time EVER in my life after riding that ride.
I hated it the whole time I was on it, plus it felt like I was going to fall out

Nope, I will never step foot in the Astro Obiters ever again!

I think this attraction is best enjoyed from the ground. It looks awesome, especially at night. :earsboy:

I wouldnt say that I dont like it .. but I normally feel sick when Im on it.. I think its just so far up in the air.. It feels like its tilting when you are up in the air..

HPIM0889_214.jpg

HPIM0888_213.jpg

HPIM0887_212.jpg

HPIM0895_220.jpg

HPIM0897_222.jpg

Micca said:
I think this attraction is best enjoyed from the ground. It looks awesome, especially at night. :earsboy:
That's my favorite place to enjoy it. :thumbsup2
And, I do agree, it looks awesome from down there at night. I would imagine those people up there in the ride just don't get as good a view of it as we do on the ground.

for us, AO is one of those "done it/don't have to do it again" rides... yet even at 9 and 11 my kids love dumbo and aladdin's magic carpet... we didn't "dislike" AO, just were not thrilled with it... and the waiting and the elevator and then more waiting and then the ride and then the waiting and then the elevator, well, it's soooo not worth the time/energy it requires (does that sound lazy?)...

I went on it as a kid and didn't remember it, so I went again a couple of years ago and will never ride it again. I felt so sick for hours afterwards. I don't get sick on Dumbo or the Magic Carpets, and I love the more adventerous rides like Space Mountain, Rock-N-Roller Coaster, Thunder Mountain, Everest, etc., but AO made me feel terrible. Never again. DH likes it, so he goes alone.

For me it was the spinning. I can't ride anything that goes in a circle like that, not even a carousel. I can go on ToT, BTMRR, RnR, etc, but nothing where I spin facing forward.
It must be an old age thing for me since I never had a problem when I was a teen. Whne I hit my 30's everything went south in so many ways.

Our family LOVES astro orbiter, but the line no matter how short always seems LONG when waiting in it. Waiting in the line then going up the elevator, seems to TAKE FOREVER, besides that LOVE IT

its way too fast (and I dont mind spinny things at all) and it made my head feel weird!

Also, when the rockets go up and down they kind of tip up... I absolutely hated it.
As another poster said, they are extraordinarily difficult to get in and out of too!

Yuck Yuck Yuck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter