ASMo vs ASMu family units?

Momof2J's

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide which to stay at. It will be me, DH, DS6, DD2 for 5 nights in January 08. Originally thought of trying to stay in Toy Story building since both love Woody & Buzz and the overall theming seemed pretty neat for their ages.

So, last night DH and I were looking at the family units and they look really nice especially with the kitchenette. Now, we can't decide :confused3

For anyone who has stayed in either or both what do you think? Also, we do have 2 small children, so I don't think we'll be too cramped staying in the smaller room.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks! :)

If the extra space is no big deal then I would choose ASMovies. The Toy Story section is just way to cute plus this route will be cheaper.

One huge advantage to the family suites is having two rooms. Especially with young kids, this is a great assest. Family friends just got back and said it was so nice to put the kids to bed, retreat back to there room, and still be able to relax and enjoy the evening with the tv on, preparing for tomorrow, talking, etc. Nap time was just as easy!

One thing to keep in mind with the any resort, is that a request can't always be granted. You may request a room in Toystory (which I believe is currently preferred) but not recieve it. If your ok with that, than consider the suites. With the All Star resorts, your allowed to "resort and pool hop"... maybe one afternoon you stroll over to Movies to swim in the fantasia pool and play around in the Toy Story section. Music is actually an exteremely short walk to Movies... and from one main building to the other is around 10mins.

I looked at ASMu and the ASMU family suites for our (me, dh, dd-6yo and ds-2yo) trip in December... I also compared them to POR and here is how it worked out (9days, DDP, +waterparks and park hoppers):

ASMusic (or any other AS resort) - Preferred Room - $2463.89
PORiverside - Water View - $3054.13
ASMusic - Family Suite - $3232.37

So once you figure in the extra $100 for the fridge if we stayed in a regular value room... We were only looking at a difference of about $500 to stay in a moderate over a value resort...and it was $200+ cheaper than the family suite.

I'm okay w/ giving up a microwave to save $200+! :D

We actually ended up getting an even better deal w/ our AAA discount... about $400 less! :woohoo:

So I would keep poking around and don't rule out the moderates!

All Star Music is just a short about 5 minute walk to All Star Movies.

When staying at an All Star resort you are welcome to swim in any of the All Star pools.

That means you would have 3 themed pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to choose from.

----------------------------------------------

Here is some info on the Family Suites:

*** They are 520 square feet.

*** The Family suites are located in the Jazz and Calypso buildings at All Star Music.(these are the closet buildings to the food court and the bus stop.

*** They cost less than a standard room at AKL or WL.

***1-6 adults may stay in a suite for the same set price.
(There is an additional fee of $10 per night for a 3rd or 4th additional adult in a standard value room.)

*** They have a QUEEN size bed (the other values and even the mods do not have a queen bed.

***The fridge is included (if you booked 2 connecting value rooms you would need to pay $10 extra for a night for a fridge if you wanted one.

*** They come with a microwave and coffeepot (If you booked 2 connecting value rooms you would not even be be able to rent a microwave and coffeepot.

***They have 2 TV's (if you book POR or a Deluxe room which sleeps 5 you will have 1 TV)

***They have 2 bathrooms (if you book POR or a Deluxe room which sleeps 5 you will have 1 Bathroom.)

For more info and photos please see the FAQ thread and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Here is the FAQ thread:*Note you can also find it on the resort sticky

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

----------------------------------------------

Here is some info about the Family Suites:

The Family Suites are located in the Calypso and Jazz Inn Buildings.
Calypso Building 1 has 32 suites
Calypso Building 10 has 54 suites
Jazz Inn Building 2 has 52 suites
Jazz Inn Building 9 has 54 suites

The suites are located on all three floors, and are near each other, but none offer connecting suites. There is no price difference between the buildings.

Check here for the 2007 rates:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates-2007.htm#VALUE

For comparison, the price of a Family Suite is $9-11 more then 2 Standard Rooms, or $13-15 less the 2 Preferred Rooms, depending on season.

------------------------

The new family suites offer an affordable and convenient option for larger families with the amenities of a studio apartment.

Families can be together in the suite while enjoying separate sleeping areas with added privacy. Having two bathrooms will not only save time, but makes getting ready easier for the whole family. Plus, extra amenities like a microwave enable guests to prepare warm snacks and meals. With the extra room, guests can relax and recount the memories of the day before falling off to a goodnight’s sleep.

They:

-Sleep up to 6 (plus one child under age 3 in a Pak-n-Play crib)
-Studio amenities and separate sleeping areas giving more privacy than a standard room.
-Queen bed, full-size pullout sofa, convertible ottoman & chair sleepers (4 separate sleepers)
-Private master bedroom and family room have 27” flat CRT TV and high speed internet access.
-Kitchenette with microwave, small refrigerator (4.3 cu. ft) and coffee pot
-Two-full bathrooms
Here is the layout:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

See this thread for photos:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392866

For more info please see the FAQ thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

DH and I enjoyed staying in the Family Suites in September of 2006.
Here is my review.

www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=17640774&postcount=7

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!:wizard:

BUMP...

Has anyone else stayed at either ASMo or ASMu Family units recently? I would really like to stay at Movies for the themes for the kids, but I'm leaning toward having a little more room at Music in the family units.

If Movies had the larger units my decision would've been made already! :)

I don't see the suites as an option - does that mean they're already booked for that time period?

How comfortable are the sleeper sofas?

I don't see the suites as an option - does that mean they're already booked for that time period?

How comfortable are the sleeper sofas?

When you try the book the Family Suites online first you need to put in your info for All Star Music.
Then they ask room type--Stanard ,preffered , or Family Suites. That's when you check Family Suites.

-----------------------------------------

Here is a photo I took of the pull out chair when we stayed at All Star Music September 21.

Notice the seat and back of chair support the pull out bed.
There are no metal bars running under your back area.

I laid down on it and it was very comfortable.

YGP133F.jpg

Here is an info thread which has more info about the pull outs at All Star Music:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18100990#post18100990

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

And don't forget. If you decide on ASMo, rather than the suites, you might be able to get a fridge for your stay in one of the Fridge swaps for $10 (or less!) for your entire stay. That's a savings of its own!

Whatever you decide, it's guaranteed to be a fabulous time just because you are with your family in the midst of the magic!

And don't forget. If you decide on ASMo, rather than the suites, you might be able to get a fridge for your stay in one of the Fridge swaps for $10 (or less!) for your entire stay. That's a savings of its own!

Whatever you decide, it's guaranteed to be a fabulous time just because you are with your family in the midst of the magic!

Thanks. I have already considered doing the fridge swap and my dates are still available. I think if we end up with Movies I'll try to get in on the swap! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter