As of this morning - 30 LBS gone - sharing some pics and thoughts!

DixieDreamer

<font color=blue>Instant Human - <font color=brown
Today I reached my 30 pound loss milestone. So today I am going to post a "before" pic and a "current" pic. I promised myself that I would do this... despite the fact that I DETEST having my picture taken - even today with the weight lost todate. But I need to do this - to celebrate my mini goal.

I started Atkins on July 28th, 2002. I lost 6 pounds during my two weeks of induction. I then stalled for a few weeks (like most people) but during that time I found the lowcarbfriends.com site and I found Fitday.com. What a difference both made for me! I figured out where a lot of hidden carbs were and made some modifications... and was soon on a steady downward loss pattern. I lost fairly steadily for the next two months averaging around 2 lbs per week. During the months of November & December I purposefully upped my carbs and increased my eating... with the intent of maintaining through the holidays. I needed the mental break and it kept me on plan. I still managed to lose another 4 lbs during that time - but I essentially slowed myself down to a crawl. At the beginning of the year, I decided it was time to get serious again about moving towards my goal. I reinducted for two weeks and that helped me to lose another two pounds but then hit another small stall for a few weeks.

After thinking about what worked best for me before, I recently upped my fat percentage and lowered my protein amounts. I have also switched to eating smaller meals more frequently and am holding firm to keeping my calories under 1,400 - and I am BACK losing like I was before! Just confirms that for me - that is what it takes to lose. However, I think the periods of just maintaining and slowly losing have been really good for me. I know I can do this forever and maintain. I know that I will eventually get to goal - and I have developed a good perspective - that this is not a race to some end result but rather a new way of living. Living well I might add!

So here are my pics.

This is my "before" pic - really the only one I can find because I have spent my LIFETIME avoiding cameras. This was taken in April of 2002 during a Disney cruise that my family took to the Eastern Caribbean. This is me and my DH.

<center>
CruisePic.jpg
</center>

This next picture was taken this morning (February 8, 2003) on our patio. I put on a dress I have that is actually too big now (swimming in the bust area)... but it is one of the few things I have that is figure hugging.

<center>
020803_150_2.jpg
</center>

And this was also taken this morning, and is my more typical attire! Jeans and a t-shirt!

<center>
020803_150_3.jpg
</center>

I am a huge advocate of low carb eating. I feel wonderful, my cholesterol levels have dramatically improved, and I am no longer out-of-control hungry anymore! Now - on to the next 15 pound loss to reach my goal. :teeth:

Laura, you look great. You are also an inspiration to me, I'm just beginning this trip and you are a veteran of this way of eating.

I'm so proud of you! I wish I could give you a real {{{HUG}}} but a cyber hug will have to do.

YOU LOOK WONDERFUL!!! :)

You should be so proud!! I love before and after pics! :)

Laura - that is wonderful! I am so proud of you! You are very determined to hit your goal, and I wish you all of the best!:Pinkbounc

Congrats! Your photo looks great!

Keep up the good work....
Hope to be there soon, too!

BTW, have you had any problems with Atkins?
I have a thyroid problem and was wondering if the diet would affect it in any way.

Thanks..Lisa

Laura, you look great! Thank you so much for posting the pics. I even see the difference in you from when we met at DIS-CON!
I know you will make it to that final goal because you seem to have such a great attitude. I'm so glad I found my way here to WISH! I need all the motivation I can get, and I'm definitely getting it here! Thanks to all of you. :wave:

lisajl - I had my thyroid removed many years ago (along with a nasty tumor!)... I rely entirely on medication for my thyroid. Following this way of eating has not caused any problems - nor have I felt like the thyroid situation has slowed it down any. I do get my blood work ups down regularly to make sure that I am at the proper dosage - because weight loss (or gain) can put things out of whack.

Great pictures...What a big difference. You should be so proud of yourself! Congrats!!!

You look great! But I think you look great in your before pic too! Way to go!!! You have a great attitude and mind set about this. I think you'll be able to maintain your weight loss too. You should be very proud!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Wow,

Awesome job!

You look SKINNY!

I'll have to look at those websites you mentioned. How is the weather up there in Washington this winter anyways. Crazy weather like the rest of us?

herc.

Thanks for Sharing! Isn't low carb eating terrific! I WISH I would have tried it sooner. I know it will be my new way of life forever -- because it works for ME. I feel so much healthier.

You Look Terrific!

As of December I was down 32 pounds since June. I gained a bit after the holidays and hope to be at my Dec weight by the end of this month ---- then I'll start working on earning that clipart! I feel better but it still is not noticable in me. I have much more to lose though --- another 80 pounds or so -- YIKES!
:D

Dbl D (as Dan would say :) )...you look awesome! All of these success stories are such an inspiration.

Thank you SO MUCH for the FitDay.com website!! Just yesterday, my DH downloaded a program for a trial period for my PDA and desktop (would be $30 total) to track my food consumption and exercise, and I like FitDay.com so much better!! (And it's FREE!!) Can't use it on my PDA, but I'll work around that. I really can't thank you enough...I discovered that I was 50% over my carb allowance for today without realizing it! Now I know how to do better tomorrow...and the next day...and the next... :teeth:

Thank you everyone for the support and kind words. It is always so much easier with the help of friends. I hope to be able to return the favor to each of you throughout the year.

herc - the weather here is BALMY this year. Not enough snow either - so we are facing another drought this year. :( Been very weird.

glo & wovenwonder - you both have been an inspiration to me.

Laura,
You look beautiful (you have great legs!:eek: :) ) I know you must feel so good now. Setting and reaching goals is always great no matter what they are.

As you know, I did Atkins for 3 weeks (induction) and lost 8 lbs. I felt great until the end of the third week when I didn't drink enough water and became dehydrated. It was a scary moment & I had never had my body react like that before. I know it was my fault but I decided to go off the diet. It took me 3 days to come out of Ketosis (while eating carbs & sugar!). Then, for the rest of last week I ate whatever I wanted still eating salads but having carbs too. The more carbs I ate, the more I wanted. I could tell I was losing control again and craving badly. :( Atkins took care of the cravings and I was amazed those 3 weeks at how & what I was eating w/ no binges on junk. I felt sluggish and just plain 'yuck' last week eating too many carbs. I have decided to try again--vowing to drink the water no matter what. I am inspired by many of you doing this diet and liked how I was feeling (until my self-induced downfall).

I just want to ask for help with this diet -- you (& several others) seem to understand the ins and outs so well. My DH is doing it too so that is helpful for me (but, of course, I'm in charge of so much of the food we both take in:rolleyes: :D )

Congratulations, Dbl D! You really look great! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter