As God is My Witness, I'll Never be Hungry Again - Finished w/lots of pics!!

October 19th: random food samples and a Food & Wine pairing at Coral Reef.

Welcome back for the second day of dining ala' J&B and thanks for reading - the big lesson of the day was this: erratic eating habits, 90-degree heat, and alcohol mixing do not produce Magical Memories on Mission Space. Learn from our pain, people. :teeth:

We thought we were going to get to Epcot with time to spare to grab a light breakfast at the Fountainview Bakery. The plan was then to check out a few rides in FutureWorld before scoping out the food and wine booths for the afternoon until our 3:30 Food & Wine pairing at Coral Reef. It was a good plan...some day I'd like to try it.

I'll spare you the details of our journey to Epcot (you can read about them in my trip report, coming soon to a thread near you!), suffice to say that by the time we got to the Fountainview Bakery it was nearly 11AM. Much to our buttery, croissant-craving disappointment we discovered that the Fountainview Bakery had been turned into the Fountainview Bar for the F&W Festival. It's a great place to get some booze but don't ask for any food.

Well, it was a hot day and I needed something in my tummy before taking on the world showcase. We ended up at the Electric Umbrella where we each had a "cheeseburger" (not sure if that was USDA graded beef... ;) ) and some fries with a nice cold bottle of water. This was one of those meals of desperation - we ate enough to keep us going in the heat and that was it. It wasn't awful but it wasn't very good, either. I love me a good cheeseburger, but this entry can best be summed up as follows: Would anyone else like a bite of banality?

From the Umbrella we wandered over to the world showcase...we haven't been to the F&W Festival since October 2004 and there is much anticipatory drooling as we peruse the menu options.

First stop: Ireland; isn't it cute?
DSC01075.jpg

As evidence of my warm-weather brilliance I proceed to order the Irish Cream Trifle with a sample of O'Mara's Irish Cream to wash it down. This was a yummy beginning to the day - the raspberry jam in the trifle paired well with the Irish Cream. But if I had it to do over I would have saved this for a less hot day or for an evening.

DSC01074.jpg

As an aside...future photos will contain less of me and more of the food, which is certainly what we all would rather be looking at. ;)

From the little thatched food booth we wandered over to the UK where they just happen to be handing out tickets for a free beer sampling...the first of the day scheduled at 12:30pm in the little garden at Rose & Crown. Just to reiterate what many of you may know...the tickets for these free events are usually handed out first-come, first-serve about 30 minutes prior to the event...if you want to attend something be prepared to stand in line at least 30 minutes prior to distribution to ensure a place for yourself and anyone else you're with.

So, with beer tasting tickets in hand and half-an-hour to kill we wander over to our friends in France, where the DIS scuttlebutt has me looking for alcoholic squishees. We found the booth of my dreams next to the stand that sells crepes, but be forewarned...cash only for these booze-infused taste sensations. There were two squishee choices: Lemon Citron or Grand Marnier. Given the heat we opted for the more refreshing Lemon, but vowed to return one day to try the Grand Marnier.

Here is my impression of Roger Ebert with a Lemon Citron Squishee:

DSC01076.jpg

This was a fine, fine drink. Perhaps not worth $7, but it's vacation and if you can't splurge on a frosty vodka-infused lemomade slushee in a plastic martini glass on vacation, then when can you?

By this time the heat and the alcohol were getting to me...I'm usually not such a wimp, but I was still bouncing back from surgery in September and maybe I shouldn't have taken that darvocett with "lunch." D'oh!

We wandered back to the Rose and Crown and waited with many other warm, thirsty people in a shady area that didn't get even a hint of a breeze. I'm married to a lovely man who went off and bought me two bottles of water that I proceeded to suck down in ten minutes. By that time we were being ushered into the beer tasting, officially called International Beers of the World. It was sponsored by InBev and featured five beers: Becks Premium Light, Brahma, Hoegaarden, Stella Artois, and Bass Ale.

Here's a picture of our table and the beery goodness placed before us:
DSC01081.jpg

We were seated at a table for four, which is how most of the tables were set up at the tasting so there was no beer-hogging if someone found a beer they really liked. I tasted each of the beers but decided to play it safe and not have too much to drink - Jason didn't mind finishing my portions. ;)

The gentleman leading the seminar gave us a brief history lesson and then took us through each beer, emphasizing aroma, color, and taste. In some ways it reminded me of a wine tasting. My general thoughts: Becks was OK, nothing to get excited about; Stella was tasty and did you know that Artois is pronounced "Our-Twa" rather than "Our-Toes"? Brahma was interesting but too citrus-y for me; Bass was acceptable; and Hoegaarden was a Belgian beer that I didn't like at all.

One thing that I think might have helped is if there had been water on the tables so we could rinse out the taste of one beer before trying the next. Maybe it was just me, but I thought it would have been a nice touch, especially in the heat. We were sharing a table with two ladies from Florida and they both commented more than once about the unseasonal heat that week.

Anyway our next stop after doing things that didn't involve food was Coral Reef, the restaurant on the back side of The Living Seas. We were very excited about this because we'd never had an opportunity to try a F&W event. This was a terrific experience and the standard by which we measured the other two F&W events we had planned later in our vacation.

There was a cast member waiting at a podium outside the restaurant who checked our names against a reservation list. He then directed us toward a door marked for CMs only and said that is where we should wait for the event to begin. Imagine our surprise when we walked through the door to find a small, private waiting area and a wait-staff member handing out glasses of chilled sparkling cider. I'm not exactly sure who was in charge of the event, but someone official looking told us that because of the heat they had decided to offer everyone a little refresher before heading in to the main dining area of the restaurant. Two thumbs up for thoughtfulness! It was a cool, dimly lit room and that cider tasted great - we were probably only there for about ten minutes but that was all it took to feel 100% better.

The chef, Marco Chaves, came out and spoke briefly about the menu he and his staff had had prepared for us and then a representative from Merryvale spoke about the wines we would be having with our food. We were then led into Coral Reef, which was the first time Jay and I had ever seen it; we thought it was just beautiful.

DSC01083.jpg

This picture doesn't really do justice to the aquarium that takes up the entire wall, but I wanted to at least give those of you who've never been there an idea of what it looks like in the restaurant. There were several tables reserved in the top section of the restaurant and they were all set with wine glasses, place mats, flatware, and a menu detailing both the food and wine selections we were going to have. The menus were a lovely touch and were signed by the chef and the winery representative.

Another nice touch - rather than allowing a stampede towards the tables, the wait-staff seated people at tables based on the number in their party, ensuring that everyone could enjoy the event with the people they were in attendance with. I mention this because it was not the case at our other events and led to much heated discussion which you will be fortunate enough to read about later on in this thread. ;)

BTW - we were seated with a wonderful couple who also happened to be a "J" and a Brenda! They were F&W and Disney Dining experts who shared all kinds of advice and experiences with us. We hope to meet up with them again next Fall - they really helped make the afternoon even more memorable and enjoyable for us. :goodvibes

First Pairing: Sauteed Shrimp served over Pasta tossed with a fresh Tomato Sauce with Kalamata Olives and Fresh Parmesan Cheese; paired with Merryvale Starmont Chardonnay.

DSC01085.jpg

What can I say? I love shrimp...I love pasta...I love light, red sauces with my pasta...I love chardonnay...and I love the fact that those olives are on the outer edge of my food so that my fork doesn't even have to touch them! This was a fabulous dish and not at all heavy, thanks to the small pasta noodles and the light sauce. The wine was perfect - refreshing and well rounded with some subtle hints of fruit (mostly apple and pear for me).

Second Pairing: Paella; paired with Merryvale Caneros Pinot Noir.

DSC01086.jpg

Well, that's some fully loaded paella, isn't it? Clams, shrimp, chicken, and chorizo sausage made for another yummy dish even though it was a bit spicy for my taste. I also don't like clams so Jason had to suffer by eating mine. The wine was a good complement although I didn't finish this one because reds tend to give me a headache if I drink too much of them.

Third Pairing: Flourless Chocolate Cake with Dried Cherries, Fresh Figs, and Ganache; paired with Merryvale Starmont Cabernet Sauvignon.

DSC01087.jpg

You can't go wrong with chocolate for dessert in my book! This was a real treat...dark and rich and moist. I didn't eat the figs but the cherries were lovely, especially dipped in that ganache. The cabernet reminded me a lot of a merlot - it was a heavy wine with a great aroma and it really did go very well with this dessert.

The chef came out to talk with us briefly once more and then the event was over - there was no push to make us leave, however; which I thought was a nice touch. We exchanged email addresses with our new food buddies and then decided to head back to SSR for some pool time. We ended up at the Adventurer's Club later that evening where we finally tried the Kungaloosh! :thumbsup2

There was no more food to speak of on this day. :guilty:

Keep your eyes peeled for day 3 which will include Kona Cafe and Raglan Road!!

Nancy, I offered to change our dining plans around so that we could focus more on baseball during this trip but Jason made a command decision that after the last two years we would be better off just doing our thing and catching up on the games when we returned to the room. So...the only game we watched from start to finish once we arrived at WDW was Game 5 of the World Series (I guess if we were going to pick one to watch that was the one!).

Now I am sitting at work listening to the Illuminations soundtrack feeling all sad and weepy because we are not at WDW right now. :sad2:

cntkg1 said:
Brenda....great report girl. But then again, all your TR's are great. Any of your meals get interrupted by the viewing of the Cards crushing the Tigers?

Later, Nancy

Thanks for posting!

Your witty commentary reminds me of Mr. Disney :worship: and goodness knows, that is high praise. :goodvibes

Keep those reviews coming!

--penny

Thank you very much - my reviews don't even come close to Mr. Disney, but I'm flattered by the comparison nonetheless. :goodvibes

pennyplanner said:
Thanks for posting!

Your witty commentary reminds me of Mr. Disney :worship: and goodness knows, that is high praise. :goodvibes

Keep those reviews coming!

--penny

Hiya friends! :wave:

I'm back with day three of J&B's Adventures in Disney Digestion and have we got a belly full today...

October 20: Breakfast at Kona Cafe, Lunch at Artists Palette, and Dinner at Raglan Road.

Like many couples who have been together a long time, Jason and I have developed certain vacation traditions. There is the 'vacation hasn't really begun until we've had a massage' tradition; there is the 'guess how many peanuts are in the Southwest Airlines snack pack' tradition; and, there is the 'it's not a trip to WDW without breakfast at the Kona' tradition.

So, like the good, anal-retentive wife I am, I made an ADR at the Kona Cafe six months prior to our arrival date...breakfast is calling and it's warm and sticky.

I have to share something with you before I get to the food part of this segment...I hope you'll forgive me. I woke up that morning with a certain song going through my head - I don't know why; it's a puzzlement. But there was no getting past it...Copacabana...in full stereo...buzzing around in my little 'ol brain. It didn't take long for me to share the joy with Jay...why don't you sing along with me?

At the Kona, the Kona Cafe at the Poly
Their breakfast special's a calorie-laden folly;
At the Kona, the Kona Cafe at the Poly
Tonga Toast, sausage, and coffee -
At the Kona...we ate too much.

OK, it's not perfect; I can admit that. But it's not bad for a first attempt at 8AM. :teeth:

Here's a picture of the signage that provided me with so much inspiration:
DSC01117.jpg

Our reservation was for 9:30 AM and thanks to some creative transportation thinking on our part we were at the podium 15 minutes early and were seated right away. Our waitress was...Brenda! This is starting to get weird - I never run across people with the same name as me and now I've met two in less than 24 hours...hmmmm...I will have to ponder this over some coffee.

For the first time ever we decide to order the Kona pressed pot. I don't know why we waited so long to try this...well, actually I do. As we've aged our tastebuds have grown a bit more dull and coffee doesn't taste nearly as bitter as it did when we were crazy and young. And then there's that whole caffeine rush to consider. Regardless, this yielded some very fine cuppa joe:
DSC01108.jpg

There is not much discussion of menu options for us at this meal - we know what we want and we're not afraid to ask for it.

We started off with the fresh fruit bowl - I can't resist this stuff when we're in Florida during the Fall. Those of you who are landlocked like us and who live in states where produce dies this time of year will understand best...fruit tastes so good in October when I'm in Florida...on vacation...not working...fruit in a bowl is way better than a Yoplait Whip at my desk.
DSC01109.jpg

Look at that fruit...plump sweet grapes, juicy cantaloupe, refreshing honeydew, and the best part...almost no pineapple!! What a great way to start the morning and I'm certain that this healthy choice will negate the calories to come.

I ordered french toast and sausage to offset the fruit...it was very tasty and I wish I was eating it right now...with lots of maple syrup to dip the fruit in.
DSC01110.jpg

Jason is a purist...he always orders the Tonga Toast and swears that it is fabulous. I'll take his word for it because I'm not crazy about eating anything that has bananas in it unless it ends with the word Foster. Here now, for your viewing pleasure, is the Big T before Jason assaulted it:
DSC01111.jpg

And here is a picture of the partially decimated Tonga Toast, to give you an idea of what comprises its guts. For anyone who may be interested, the glass of juice in the last picture is Lokoi juice - it's a blend of passion fruit, orange, and guava juices. Jason says it's great but I tried a sip of it and I think it put hair on my chest.
DSC01112.jpg

Overall this was a terrific start to our day - great food, great service, and a bag of kona beans to take home and savor through the cold winter months. Actually, we're so nice we bought two bags of beans and then gave one to my parents before they started to get on our nerves. We highly recommend the Kona for breakfast based on service, menu selection, and atmopshere and give it our highest rating: 5 Barry Manilow albums out of a possible 5.

Coming soon..Artists Palette and Irish gluttony at Raglan Road.

oybolshoi said:
The gentleman leading the seminar gave us a brief history lesson and then took us through each beer, emphasizing aroma, color, and taste. In some ways it reminded me of a wine tasting. My general thoughts: Becks was OK, nothing to get excited about; Stella was tasty and did you know that Artois is pronounced "Our-Twa" rather than "Our-Toes"? Brahma was interesting but too citrus-y for me; Bass was acceptable; and Hoegaarden was a Belgian beer that I didn't like at all.

I'm totally loving your report, but very disappointed that you didn't like Hoegaarden. It's one of my favorite beers! :drinking1 Anyway, all is forgiven because you really do take lovely food pictures and provide a very funny running commentary! :thumbsup2

anyone care to guess the carbs in that great Tonga toast!!. If I want to off my DH it would put him in a diabetic coma for sure.lol!

Awww, you're killing me Brenda, killing me...with those photos and review of Kona Cafe. PLUS..now I've got Barry Manilow stuck in MY head :rotfl:

But, really, great photos and reviews. I've never been to Kona, but I think that's gonna change!

I tried to take food photos this trip, but I was always forgetting my camera, or forgetting to take a photo brfore I dug into my food.

Brenda,

Okay, I am SOOOO hungry now!!! :rolleyes:

I hear you about the fruit! Hubby lives on fruit during the spring and summer then fall comes along and he goes into a fruit depression. Another great reason to cruise in October!!

Keep the reports coming!!!!! :woohoo:

Brenda,

Can you PM me? I have questions about Crohn's disease. I was just hospitilzed with Ulcerative Colitis & am wondering about certain foods that you should stay
away from & foods that are "safe". I know Crohn's is a little different than what
I have but I'm curious. I now berries & such are out for me. Can you tell me what you stay away from??? WOW-that Tonga Toast is a must for me in April!!!

Disneyfan61 - just PMd you. Hope you are feeling better - Crohns and Colitis are just awful to deal with when they are acting up. I'm fortunate that my Crohns is pretty well under control with daily medication, but I try to be careful about my diet, too. Feel free to ask me anything you'd like - I hope I can help a little with the things I've learned in the 5 years since I was diagnosed.

disneyfan61 said:
Brenda,

Can you PM me? I have questions about Crohn's disease. I was just hospitilzed with Ulcerative Colitis & am wondering about certain foods that you should stay
away from & foods that are "safe". I know Crohn's is a little different than what
I have but I'm curious. I now berries & such are out for me. Can you tell me what you stay away from??? WOW-that Tonga Toast is a must for me in April!!!

perdidobay said:
Awww, you're killing me Brenda, killing me...with those photos and review of Kona Cafe. PLUS..now I've got Barry Manilow stuck in MY head :rotfl:

But, really, great photos and reviews. I've never been to Kona, but I think that's gonna change!

Jo, I say our first DISmeet should be at the Kona...Kona Cafe...the hottest spot north of ....oh nooooooo, now it's in MY head!! :lmao:

(BTW..you're welcome!!)

Looking forward to more Brenda. Is the F&W Festival before or after we cruise next year?

Also, just wondering...any "Viva Le Mochaccinos" at the Kona Cafe?

Nancy :wave:

Nancy my dear,

the Food & Wine Festival takes place at EPCOT from the end of September through the middle of November, so to answer your first question: yes! :teeth:

Viva le Mochaccino only applies to the Cove Cafe as far as I can tell. While the kona blend coffee was good, I cannot classify it as the nectar of the gods.

BTW - did you like my Manilow knock-off? :lmao:

cntkg1 said:
Looking forward to more Brenda. Is the F&W Festival before or after we cruise next year?

Also, just wondering...any "Viva Le Mochaccinos" at the Kona Cafe?

Nancy :wave:

I am loving your dining report. That's one of the sad parts of traveling solo, though I am completely comfortable dining alone, I'll have no dinner conversation, or antecdotes to include in my reviews.

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in finishing the third day, but I hope to make the wait worth your while. And, I think it's safe to say that there will be no more Barry Manilow songs today.

Thanks for reading so far...now, let's get to the good stuff.

Rather than getting bogged down in the details of our time between meals (you can read my 10-day trippie soon...I'm working out the publishing details with my editor... ;) ) I'm going to try to get to the point fairly quickly. But I make no promises...you know how I love to talk!

This visit to WDW marked our first stay at SSR and we were only there for 3 days. Early on Friday afternoon we decided it might be a good idea to figure out where we could get some food and beverages at the resort. If I have a single issue with SSR it is the fact that it is so spread out and the food choices are limited, to say the least. I admit that Jay and I have been spoiled by our past stays at the Beach Club Villas where there are so many choices for tummy yummies that it makes my head spin just thinking about it. I liked being able to walk to Downtown Disney from SSR, and we did that quite a bit, but when we're looking to spend the afternoon at the pool, take-out from across the lake just isn't real convenient. Now that we've completed some reconoissance we'll be better prepared for future visits.

Anyway, once we figured out how to get back to the Carriage House on foot from our villa in Congress Park, we found that we had two choices for lunch: Artists Palette or the Turf Club. Considering that we had dinner ressies at Raglan Road and that it was still pretty hot outside we opted for a light lunch at AP where we could also use our DVC membership card to get a 10% discount.

Here's a picture of the inside of AP:
DSC01164.jpg

The interior is very light and airy thanks to all the windows and the high ceilings. Don't you love the colored glass hanging above the tables and the canvases suspended above the windows? From what we gathered during our scouting mission this is the primary feeding grounds for SSR guests - it's very similar to the Marketplace over at the Beach Club but much more spacious. The food is pretty much what you'd expect - not terrible and not great. What distressed me the most is that I desperately wanted a tuna fish sandwich for lunch - something light is not too much to ask for, is it?

Apparently it is. I couldn't find any cold sandwich options for lunch - everything was hot (other than the salad and you don't really want to read about why I can't eat salad, do you?). This was the first time on the trip - but not the last - that I ran across this decidedly strange situation. I don't know about you guys but when it's 90+ degrees outside and we're going to hang at the pool the last thing I want to eat is a hot meal. Gimme the tuna fish and no one gets hurt.

Well, when all else fails, I order things like this instead:
DSC01167.jpg

I love junk food. And I love hot dogs. Now, I know you're probably thinking, "But Brenda, you just said you didn't want anything hot for lunch." And you're right, I did say that. But a hot dog, by definition, is served hot, and therefore I had no choice in the matter. And it was a pretty good dog - not quite up to the standard set by Casey's, but still enjoyable. The chips, by the way, were nasty - randomly soggy or stale. It's a good thing that I'm not a big fan of chips.

Jason ordered a turkey caesar sandwich and it did look good, but I don't really like turkey so it wasn't an option for me. He said it was tasty and I guess we'll just have to take his word for it.
DSC01166.jpg

Our dinner reservation at Raglan Road was at 7:30 PM. In researching this restaurant I had read that they have live music starting at 8PM on weekends and Jason and I love good folk music, especially music of Celtic origin. We were both very much looking forward to this dinner and as you will soon see, we did our best to eat and drink our way through the Emerald Isle. This dinner was something of an impromptu baseball celebration for us, seeing as the Cardinals had shocked everyone by making it to the World Series beating the Mets in game 7 of the NLCS the night before. And, with my parents scheduled to join us at WDW the next day, we figured we'd better make the most of what might be our last dinner for two of the trip.

Here we are before setting out for a night of drunken gluttony:
DSC01178.jpg

And here is the front entrance to Raglan Road:
DSC01180.jpg

We arrived about 15 minutes early and did I ever feel vindicated for making ADRs six months in advance! We waited in line for about five minutes just to check in at the podium and were then given a pager and an escort to the bar. This bar was just stunning and we tried to take a picture but with all the dark wood and the mirrors we couldn't get it to turn out very well. And quite frankly we were more interested in libations than we were in photography 101.

I ordered a Celtic Sangria. I don't recall the ingredients but this was a great drink - light and refreshing, not too sweet and not too bitter. Here's a picture of me looking really dumb while I drink - I was definitely not ready for my close-up.
DSC01182.jpg

Jason ordered a pint of Murphys Red. He's a Guiness-man, but is always willing to try something new. I really liked this beer (he let me take a sip before telling me to get one of my own), but that's to be expected - I prefer a beer that doesn't have to be chewed. :teeth:
DSC01183.jpg

I don't think we waited more than 10 minutes before our pager went off and we were being seated. Allow me now to offer up heartfelt thanks to the great and glorious restaurant seating gods because Jay and I were given a great table. Along the back section of the main dining room there is a long, curved leather-couch seating area with tables primarily for two - we were given a table at the very end of this section with a direct view of the stage and just across from the table where the Irish dancer was going to be doing her cool dance steps ala' Riverdance.

To make things even better, we discovered on the menu that there were both beer tasting flights and whiskey tasting flights! So many choices, so few liver cells. :p

First off we decided that we needed an appetizer because we were going to be in this place for the long haul. We ordered the Dalkey Duo - dalkey battered cocktail sausages with a dalkey mustard dipping sauce. Dalkey, dalkey, dalkey...I don't know what it means or where it may be but I like the way it feels on my tongue when I say it over and over again!
DSC01185.jpg

This was surprisingly good. I'm not a fan of deep fried foods but this was not the grease-fest that I feared it might be. The batter was actually pretty light and had a nice flavor and the sausages were just yummy. And the mustard sauce was like a mild dijon - very smooth.

At this point the rest of our alcohol showed up. We really needed a second table by now, but Jason didn't spend his formative years playing Tetris for nothing.

I think we ordered the Nations Beer Flight. The restaurant offers three different beer flights for about $8 each - you get to try four baby-sized beers. Ours consisted of Smithwicks, Stella Artois (remember, that's Our-Twa, not Our-Toes!), Boddingtons, and Tucher Hefeweiss.
DSC01187.jpg

For the whiskey tasting we ordered the Rock of Cagel, which is the mid-priced Irish whiskey flight. Raglan Road offers six different whiskey flights...3 Scotch whiskeys and 3 Irish whiskeys ranging from $15-$40 for a sampling of three. Neither one of us are very familiar with whiskey, but this seemed like a good time to broaden our horizens while simultaneously blurring them. Our tasting was $25 and consisted of Jameson 12-year, Tullamore Dew, and Red Breast.
DSC01188.jpg

There was a very nice if slightly concerned looking couple seated next to us. They took a picture of Jason and me and our booze, wasn't that kind?
DSC01189.jpg

So, what can I tell you about the boozieness that was going down at our table? Boddingtons was a favorite of mine prior to this visit and Stella was OK - I like hefeweissen so the Tucher was good and for some reason I didn't like the Smithwicks. Don't ask me why - you guys are lucky that I had enough presence of mind to write down what we were drinking. ;)

As for the whiskey allow me to quote Ralph Wiggum: It tastes like burning.

It took most of the evening for us to polish off the whiskey - we ended up downing most of it with dessert and it seemed to be a lot less harsh with something sweet. There was one whiskey that actually reminded me of a tawny port, but sadly I don't recall which one it was.

For dinner I ordered the fish and chips. This was really good - lightly battered very fresh cod and the waitress didn't bat an eye when I asked for some cheap yellow mustard for my dinner. Mustard is my ketchup...I put it on fish, fries, hot dogs, pretzels...I think that may be all, but I'll get back to you if I think of anything else.
DSC01193.jpg

Jason ordered the Planxty (not to be confused with Plankton, who will show up at a later date) which is a roast pork hock served on a bed of mashed potatoes.
DSC01192.jpg

I did taste this and it was pretty good - not something I would have ordered but that's alright. Jason is the adventurous one but he always lets me take a taste so I know what I'm missing out on by being picky.

Now during the whole time we were gorging and guzzling the band was playing and the Irish dancer was popping in and out of the dining room and it was just a boisterous festive jolly place to be. The band was actually from Ireland and they played almost non-stop for two hours. They did a terrific job of getting the crowd to participate by telling us the lyrics in advance so we could sing along and by telling us the stories behind some of the songs. At one point there was a group of patrons in an area off the main bar who started a mini-square dancing session during one song. This is the best picture we have of the musicians, just to give you an idea of what it looked like while they were playing.
DSC01190.jpg

And then there was dessert - which we shared. I highly recommend you order this if you ever make it to Raglan Road. There was much lip-smacking and spoon-licking at our table with this choice and I'm pleased now to bring you a picture of Ger's Bread and Butter Pudding with butterscotch sauce and creme anglaise. I'm drooling on my keyboard as I type...
DSC01198.jpg

Well, by the time we staggered out of RR it was close to 11PM - we enjoyed this experience so much and really can't say enough good things about it. The food was terrific as was the service and the entertainment. We were able to use our DVC discount here, too, although it did not apply to alcohol. We definitley plan on coming back here again when we visit WDW next year. :thumbsup2

I must share one other thing with you before closing out this day. We stopped at Goofy's Candy Co. on our walk back to SSR to pick up a couple of muffins for breakfast the next morning. We were moving over to the Beach Club Villas and wanted something quick to help us get out the door on time. Well, on our way to Goofy's we passed by Earl of Sandwich and although we must have walked by this place at least half a dozen times during the last couple of days we never really noticed their signage until we were...very tipsy. This produced the best laugh of the day:
DSC01199.jpg

If anyone here at the DIS has a review of Earl's Hot Roast Beef Smoothie I'd love to hear all about it. :lmao:

And that's how we ended the day...laughing ourselves silly outside the Earl of Sandwich. And you know...it still makes me laugh. It's funny when I'm sober, too! :teeth:

Stay tuned for Day 4 which will be somewhat spare until dinner at the Rose and Crown Pub.

Thanks for reading!

You have written the BEST reviews that I have seen in a long time. Plus, you visited several of our favorite restaurants. Thanks a lot!

:surfweb:

Brenda, this is wonderful so far (as usual)! It amazes me that I can learn so much from your reports when I am a native Floridian AND a passholder to WDW. I HAVE to have the Kona Toast. And Raglan Road sounds like a blast.

As an aside, I lived in Britain for 3 years (college) and Stella Atrois (TWA!) was the lager of choice among the celebrities. Except they shortened it to Stella. So everytime I ever read the tabloids, my flatmates would be subjected to me shouting STELLAAAAAAAAA!!!! and then peeing myself laughing.

I can't wait to read more about the Food and Wine! I started a review of the World Showcase myself which I have neglected for the past few days for no reason other than sheer laziness. I intend to finish it today or tomorrow. At any rate, the link is in my signature.
Ireland was my faaaaaaaavorite booth.

Looking forward to the rest! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter