As a child, what excited you?

Having other kids to play with (I was basically an "only").

The theme songs for tv shows I liked - they would really get me hyped!

We're talking 80's TV show themes too, so, you know, they were awesome!

When the new issues of Disney comics (then published by Dell/Western Publishing) showed up at the local newsstand in 1959. I was nine years old.

Vacation - a place called Happy Acres. My immediate family rented a cabin for 2 weeks (6 of us). Cost my parents $250 PER WEEK. Last 2 weeks in August for 16 straight years.

Best part was that all of my aunts, uncles and cousins were there. Each family had their own place. 26 first cousins! We had a blast.

Adults played tennis, softball, smoked cigarettes and played cards. Wonderful, wonderful memories.

That’s a tough question. We never went anywhere or did anything. I didn’t even realize that DisneyWorld was a real place until my husband suggested going there on our honeymoon when I was 19. My mom was a horrible cook so I did get excited when we would go out to eat but that didn’t happen very often. Our parents did get us a pool when I was 16 and that was the most exciting thing that ever happened.

My dad sending me to buy cigarettes at the corner store and letting me spend the change. 50 cents could buy a lot of junk back then.

Vacation - a place called Happy Acres. My immediate family rented a cabin for 2 weeks (6 of us). Cost my parents $250 PER WEEK. Last 2 weeks in August for 16 straight years.

Best part was that all of my aunts, uncles and cousins were there. Each family had their own place. 26 first cousins! We had a blast.

Adults played tennis, softball, smoked cigarettes and played cards. Wonderful, wonderful memories.
Sounds amazing!

Back then almost everything brought some level of excitement/gave you something to look forward to: family get-togethers and celebrations, Christmas, birthdays, summers, 4 th of July parade and carnival, Halloween, Saturdays/weekends…

Oh gosh, I loved animals, traveling, visiting family, playing outdoors until dark, etc. We also spent a lot of time with family on the weekends. I had teeenage uncles who would toss their coke bottles into a box by the back door. It was a treasure trove for small children. We'd load them into a wagon and head to the store to buy penny candy (yes I AM that old ). It was a lot of fun and a good math lesson to boot!

Christmas, my birthday, getting a whole new wardrobe for my Barbie dolls when my great aunt Ada came to visit every October, going out to eat (didn’t happen very often), taking my allowance to the magazine shop on the corner and buying comic books and penny candy, visiting my grandparents at their cottage on the lake, taking vacations to Texas to visit my Dad’s family and getting to spend time with my cousins.

My dad sending me to buy cigarettes at the corner store and letting me spend the change. 50 cents could buy a lot of junk back then.
I use to buy them for my father out of a cigarette machine at a diner a few blocks from our house. Always had to make sure I got the matches too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter