• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arrival time at WDW

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! I'm new to the boards, so hopefully I'm posting this thread in the right place. Our first trip to WDW will be in 8/04 and I need some advice. We're staying onsite and will have UPH passes (hope that's the right acronym). We'll probably taking a red eye from California and should be arriving in Orlando at about 6:00 a.m. Of course we want to hit the parks early the first day. Here are my concerns: If we arrive that early, will it be too exhausting since we will have been up most of the night (too excited to sleep on plane). Second, what if our flight is changed; wouldn't want to have the day half wasted by any changes and not arrive until the afternoon. I'd like to hear your experiences. :jester:

Hi,
Just wanted to say welcome to the boards (sorry, I don't have an answer to your question but I'm sure others will)!
nature-smiley-003.gif

Arriving at 6am the parks probably won't be open yet AND your room probably won't be ready. I'd suggest relaxing in the lounge for a while to just rest and making it an early night. Do the parks until someone starts to drop and then back to the resort. You can either nap and go back out later or just swim in the pool. We usually head back by 2 for swimming even when we aren't up THAT early it gives everyone a much needed breather.

The parks will definately not be open at that time and you will most likely not be able to check into a room because if it is being occupied the guests will still be sleeping! We cive in Ny and most of WDW trips we are on the 2nd leg of a caribean trip. We get to WDW at 12:30, wchic is a great time. You can go right to the parks have lunch, then go to your room and relax before dinner. Can you get a flight that has you arriving at MCO later than what you have? A good time is 10:30 am-1:30 or so. This way you can sleep on the plane (a little maybe!) and arrive ready to go! By arriving late morning/late afternoon you are not wasting any time at all as you can get a great day in and settle in! As it stands you will lose more time because you will be so exhausted, the parks open at 9 am (maybe earlier if theres extra magic) but you will be so tired!

I would recommend going directly to the hotel to leave your luggage and then relax and have a nice breakfast. You will be so excited to be there, that there is no point trying to hold back from the parks. Go ahead and see the park but come back to the room right after lunch to relax a bit. You can always go back a little later in the afternoon after it cools down a bit.

Have fun! :) ;) :p

Don't forget to factor in the time change...how will you feel at say 4pm EST? It'll probably work out for the better for you coming from West to East! Have a GREAT TIME!

Well, when we went we didn't do anything as early as you, but we did a plane that left Kansas City around 7AM, and were at the hotel by 2PM. Check in time is 4PM (keep that in mind if you're getting there that early) - but our room was ready and we checked in. What we did was take a quick nap (30 minutes). We're not old (27 & 28 respectively when we went), but after not being able to sleep the night before, waiting at the airport, and the stress of the day finally getting there - it was a well needed nap. After the nap, we grabbed a bit to eat - and went to MGM for a few hours.

I guess what I'm saying is this. We did "Commando Disney" (where you cram as much into every day as possible) when we went. It was great... but it wasn't a vacation.... it was an adventure. I would suggest taking your time your first day. If you get a later flight... that's OK. We were there during the slow season, so a few hours at MGM got us into all of the big rides (Tower of Terror, Rock'N Roller Coaster, Backlot Tour, and a couple of other things). By the time we got back to the room, we were asleep by 9PM local time.

Don't push it. Enjoy yourself. In fact, for your first night, maybe just try to get to EPCOT to see Illuminations.... that would be a great introduction to "The World".

Having done the reverse last summer, going from Mass to DL, I can sympathize.

We arrived around 9am your time our 12pm, so we also went on little sleep having to be airport bound before 4am(here). We dropped the luggage, had a light breakfast and headed out for the day.

Our rooms were ready by 3, we should have done a nap but were running on adrenaline(first trip to DL) by the time 8pm rolled around I was exhausted and feeling nauseos. I was crashed by 9pm.

My best advice is to plan a little relaxation time midday when the adrenaline rush is worn off, otherwise you can forget any late time in the parks, especially with kids.

Check out the early morning entries, maybe if you get in early you can check in, drop off the luggage and catch a few rides before breakfast.

Just a suggestion from an experienced traveler who ONCE took a red-eye to WDW from the West coast. We arrived around 6am, and went to our hottel completely exhausted. The room wasn't ready (of course) but they were nice enough to give us access to the health club so we could take a shower.

Anyway, we were tired and grumpy, definitely not in the Disney spirit for the entire day. So, my suggestion is to avoid the red-eye. You may think you are gaining a touring day (that's what I thought when I planned it), but you really won't because you will be pretty much a waste that first day.

On our last visit in 1999 we had the option of not including the first and/or last day on our UPH. We requested it at check-in. You could spend your first day relaxing by the pool and then enjoying a character meal or visiting Downtown Disney. You can have your luggage stored at the hotel until your room is ready. It may sound like I'm a "Disney scrooge", but we never do parks on our travel days.

Thanks for this post. We too are traveling on the red eye to WDW in July. I think we will keep the day as light as possible. Thanks for the info.

:wave: :earsboy: :wave: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :wave: :earsboy: :wave: :earsboy: :wave: :earsboy: :wave: :earsboy:

Get there earlY !!!!!!!!! Every day... We will see more of the parks in the first 90 minutes than it would have taken 5 hrs later to acclomplish. GO EARLEY STAY Late Take breaksGO go go...Suck it up buttecup

Zazu

Welcome to the DIS. I would not rush but go to the hotel and checkin. You have a fair chance of having a room, since Sept is a slow month. If your plane arrives at 6AM, by the time you get to your hotel it will be between 7AM and 8AM. Depending on when you get done checking in you may want to get something to eat at the hotel. You may want to go and just walk around and do a few attractions then head back for some rest. I think the plan will depend on if your room is ready or not. You can call back from time to time to check on the room if not ready when you arrived. As for being tired I can not help you. I live in VA.

Welcome!! I can't imagine not wanting to go to the parks that day. We had a much shorter trip, but arrived in the evening. We slept in the next day, our first day, thinking everyone would need the sleep. This is the only day we have ever not been at a park before opening. We got to AK at 10:15, and had a 30 minute wait to get into the park. That put us all in a grumpy mood briefly- but really the rest of the day was perfect - not crowded and lots of fun. As an idea, would you enjoy a character breakfast? They are lots of fun, and you will know that you have ARRIVED! If you got an early one, you could do that, tour for 2-3 hours, then go back to your room and crash. You can't believe how much you can see and do if you go early. If you check in at the hotel first, they should keep your bags and move them into your room for you while you are at the park. Or have breakfast, then do something else not requiring park admission (like downtown disney.)in the morning, then go back to the hotel and swim & relax. Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

We take the red eye. Can't sleep the night before any way. We rent a car. Do some grocery shopping, eat a meal, check in if we can. We rent a room sometimes the night before we are there. So its ready for check in the next morning. We stay on west coast time. Sleep in stay out late. Don't come back to our room till night. I the mother usually run out of steam by end of vacation and take bus back to room for a rest and some alone time. We do sleep on the plane just so tired from getting ready to go. I guess were a little wierd. Take ear plugs and sleeping mask, gum. A travel pillow is nice. The ones they give you on the plane are to small. I take a book and the kids take game boy for waits. Magazines are nice for light reading while you wait. Dump them when your done. Some food like dried fruit is also nice if you get hungry. Drink plenty of water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter