Arrival Day Dinner... DTD or GCH ..HELP?!

I was going to come on and say Craftsman or Hearthstone Lounge. If you want the Christmas vibes I would lean hearthstone as it’s inside and you’ll exit directly into the lobby. Craftsman is outside near the pool so less holiday vibes while dining, fwiw. Both are good options. We love the lounge and even if they took off my favorite appetizer (looking at you blistered shishito pepprrs) there is plenty of variety no mat5er what we’re craving. i’m excited for thr shrimp and grits on our next visit and the way GH burger and steak frites are always a winner for our boys.

have a great trip!
agree, stick to inside 100% for more holiday vibes. not outside

My thoughts, having eaten multiple times at pretty much all the DTD/GCH restaurants:

Tortilla Jo's is not great. Sadly the Disneyland resort doesn't have great Mexican options in general, but Tortilla Jo's is pretty mediocre. You can probably find better outside of the resort in walking distance. El Torito is a short Uber away and much better.

Storyteller's is pretty good and is fun for a family. No characters at night. It's definitely underwhelming for a buffet though. Not a ton of options. It's a step up from Goofy's in terms of quality but I think more limited in terms of options.

Craftsman grill is some of the best food in the whole resort in my opinion. It won't feel super Christmas-y. But it's a great location, full bar, good menu.

Hearthstone is fine but to me Craftsman's food is better; I will admit I've only had bar food at Hearthstone like wings, never full meals like chicken or steak.

Other DTD options: Ballast point is pretty good, also has a bar and of course tons of beer. You can almost always get a table walk in at the outdoor bar area. The doorman can be super confusing about the walk in options and might tell you it's a 45 minute wait when there are literally walk in tables available, so insist on going up to look for a walk in spot.

Naples is a classic and to me has stood the test of time.

Never been a big fan of the New Orleans restaurant.

Splitsville to me is only worth it if you want to bowl. Better food and drink options elsewhere.

Trader Sam's is another option to consider.

The quick service version of Craftsman is a go to staple for our family as it works great for our kids and we like the relaxed walk up and order what you want way of getting food, they also allow mobile order which can save some time, and it's also nice to save a good 20% every now and then on tip. It's also nice to be inside away from the elements. They are also very nice to allow you to grab a cup and help yourself to water or get a top-up on your beverage of choice from the freestyle machine if you purchase a drink. The nachos..... so good. Also the peanut butter/chocolate blonde thing is freaking amazing.... The double chocolate muffin is also legit. We usually grab a few treats and take them to our room and try not to eat them all right away.

Storyteller's was great for a brunch for a special occasion. It's a bit hectic in there so I'm not sure if I would be up for it on my arrival day. I'd recommend a few relaxing sleep in days before I hit up Storyteller's and I'd also leave plenty of hours to do so as they can get very busy.

My parents liked the Earl of Sandwich Tavern option to get some food when we had our last long stay with the family.

My thoughts, having eaten multiple times at pretty much all the DTD/GCH restaurants:

Tortilla Jo's is not great. Sadly the Disneyland resort doesn't have great Mexican options in general, but Tortilla Jo's is pretty mediocre. You can probably find better outside of the resort in walking distance. El Torito is a short Uber away and much better.

Storyteller's is pretty good and is fun for a family. No characters at night. It's definitely underwhelming for a buffet though. Not a ton of options. It's a step up from Goofy's in terms of quality but I think more limited in terms of options.

Craftsman grill is some of the best food in the whole resort in my opinion. It won't feel super Christmas-y. But it's a great location, full bar, good menu.

Hearthstone is fine but to me Craftsman's food is better; I will admit I've only had bar food at Hearthstone like wings, never full meals like chicken or steak.

Other DTD options: Ballast point is pretty good, also has a bar and of course tons of beer. You can almost always get a table walk in at the outdoor bar area. The doorman can be super confusing about the walk in options and might tell you it's a 45 minute wait when there are literally walk in tables available, so insist on going up to look for a walk in spot.

Naples is a classic and to me has stood the test of time.

Never been a big fan of the New Orleans restaurant.

Splitsville to me is only worth it if you want to bowl. Better food and drink options elsewhere.

Trader Sam's is another option to consider.
Thank you!

We have Crafstman Grill for arrival evening dinner, then we will walk around the Grand and enjoy the ambiance.

We do have Trader Sams reservation on this trip, as well as a Blue Bayou (which we never have done in all of our visits before) and the Plaza Inn, Lamplight and Goofys Kitchen Holiday meal. So all in all I am very happy with our dining reservations, LOL.. We probably have more than we need, but I need a break to warm up on occasion in the winter.

Thank you!

We have Crafstman Grill for arrival evening dinner, then we will walk around the Grand and enjoy the ambiance.

We do have Trader Sams reservation on this trip, as well as a Blue Bayou (which we never have done in all of our visits before) and the Plaza Inn, Lamplight and Goofys Kitchen Holiday meal. So all in all I am very happy with our dining reservations, LOL.. We probably have more than we need, but I need a break to warm up on occasion in the winter.

You've got a great setup! Craftsman, Trader Sams, and Lamplight are really good food. I'm sure you've heard that Blue Bayou is obviously overpriced for the food, but I think people are a little harsh about Blue Bayou's food quality. It's fine, it's just expensive (you're paying for the location, not the food!) Plus they serve beer and wine now which is cool. You'll love it since it's your first time.

If your group isn't too big, be sure to request a waterside table and state you're willing to wait. Usually it's only a 10-15 minute extra wait, and being able to see the boats and even wave at people going by makes all the difference.

Goofy's and Plaza inn are always fun with kids or character lovers! Enjoy!

You've got a great setup! Craftsman, Trader Sams, and Lamplight are really good food. I'm sure you've heard that Blue Bayou is obviously overpriced for the food, but I think people are a little harsh about Blue Bayou's food quality. It's fine, it's just expensive (you're paying for the location, not the food!) Plus they serve beer and wine now which is cool. You'll love it since it's your first time.

If your group isn't too big, be sure to request a waterside table and state you're willing to wait. Usually it's only a 10-15 minute extra wait, and being able to see the boats and even wave at people going by makes all the difference.

Goofy's and Plaza inn are always fun with kids or character lovers! Enjoy!
Oh thank you for that tip! We are just a party of 4 for this trip, so we will definitely ask to wait for a waterside table.

We love lamplight and are excited to try Trader Sams. I am not a huge lover of buffet food (who is) but the kids love the character interaction, so its worth it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter