Ariel controversy?!

Actually, the no sun argument is pretty accurate. We’re all descended from the same place in central Africa (we’re all related by sixty lines); as people emigrated north, melanin in skin lightened, making dark pigmentation less necessary for protection from the sun’s rays. Remember, there’s not k e race: the human race.
But, again, fish people. Scientific accuracy was left behind long before we got to fish people.

I think that was the OP’s point- this topic won’t come up, because the average person in real life doesn’t care, it’s just some fake online controversy between a bunch of social media bots. Same with the Rings of Power, I didn’t even realize the race thing was an issue until I went looking for reviews to make sure I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t enjoying it. Almost every social media “controversy” is fake or amplified for clicks.
Racism existed long before social media, and there are indeed far too many racists out there.

Racism existed long before social media, and there are indeed far too many racists out there.
Sure are, not sure what that has to do with what I said. How many people have you personally met, in real life and not on a computer screen, face to face, who had an issue with a black Ariel?

Sure are, not sure what that has to do with what I said. How many people have you personally met, in real life and not on a computer screen, face to face, who had an issue with a black Ariel?
It's been all over the news, so there's that. Plus, the LOTR and GOT issues have seen just as much publicity. There's no real controversy, except for the uproar caused by idiots who think they have a platform.

I think that was the OP’s point- this topic won’t come up, because the average person in real life doesn’t care, it’s just some fake online controversy between a bunch of social media bots. Same with the Rings of Power, I didn’t even realize the race thing was an issue until I went looking for reviews to make sure I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t enjoying it. Almost every social media “controversy” is fake or amplified for clicks.
Yes, that was definitely my point. The media (on both sides, frankly) loves to create controversy where there is none.

We had a weekend lake house in WI until recently, and, trust me, there are plenty of people out there who have zero issues with bleating out the n-word during their coffee talk. It’s out there, and it’s pervasive. It’s the American way, after all.

Yes that is who I was referring to I thought I she was in it I probably got confused with something else.
Halle Bailey is playing Ariel. Halle Berry is not involved with the movie at all. You're not the first one to confuse them.

We had a weekend lake house in WI until recently, and, trust me, there are plenty of people out there who have zero issues with bleating out the n-word during their coffee talk. It’s out there, and it’s pervasive. It’s the American way, after all.

Listen, I said it in my last post, I'll say it again- racism exists, on all sides. Nobody is trying to deny that. You've yet to answer my question, which actually answers it. It's like the article the other day saying (to paraphrase) the majority of Disney fans say Disney has lost the magic because of price hikes. The article was based on a poll on a gambling site of about 2000 people. Yes, a lot of us here on Disboards think Disney has lost the magic, but I'm sure we are a tiny minority of a tiny minority. The average person, who can afford to, goes to Disney and has fun and that's that. We complain about it, but to pretend it's "pervasive" because of a few people online is ridiculous. I talk to hundreds of different people a day in my job and you know what almost EVERYONE talks about? Inflation, fear of heating bills coming up, gas prices. Not a single person said "did you see they cast a black Ariel!". My point is that while it may be happening online, you can literally find a few people who believe in ANYTHING and post a bunch of tweets of theirs and pretend it's some big controversy when it's really just two dolts halfway across the word.

Listen, I said it in my last post, I'll say it again- racism exists, on all sides. Nobody is trying to deny that. You've yet to answer my question, which actually answers it. It's like the article the other day saying (to paraphrase) the majority of Disney fans say Disney has lost the magic because of price hikes. The article was based on a poll on a gambling site of about 2000 people. Yes, a lot of us here on Disboards think Disney has lost the magic, but I'm sure we are a tiny minority of a tiny minority. The average person, who can afford to, goes to Disney and has fun and that's that. We complain about it, but to pretend it's "pervasive" because of a few people online is ridiculous. I talk to hundreds of different people a day in my job and you know what almost EVERYONE talks about? Inflation, fear of heating bills coming up, gas prices. Not a single person said "did you see they cast a black Ariel!". My point is that while it may be happening online, you can literally find a few people who believe in ANYTHING and post a bunch of tweets of theirs and pretend it's some big controversy when it's really just two dolts halfway across the word.
If you think people are going to reveal their racism in everyday conversation, you’re seriously deluded. I’ve talked to enough people e who are comfortable casually throwing around the n-word to know that it’s out there and it’s, yea, pervasive.

Last edited:
I’d you want hunk people are going to reveal their racism in everyday conversation, you’re seriously deluded. I’ve talked to enough people e who are comfortable casually throwing around the n-word to know that it’s out there and it’s, yea, pervasive.

I must be misunderstanding you. In one breath you say I'm "seriously deluded" if I think people are going to reveal their racism in everyday conversation, and then say "I've talked to enough people who are comfortable casually throwing around the n-word". ??

Her hair isn't red enough for me. I wanted it to be brighter. I haven't seen any live actions since the 1st Alice in Wonderland, so this isn't for me. I'm just mad they didn't cast Titus Burgess or Billy Porter as Ursula.

I am just over here tearing up at all the videos of little kids seeing another Disney Princess that looks like them.

Yes there is hate about the casting but there is also so much good coming from it. Those videos are a wonderful way to remind ourselves how important it is to see yourself reflected on screen.

Her hair isn't red enough for me. I wanted it to be brighter. I haven't seen any live actions since the 1st Alice in Wonderland, so this isn't for me. I'm just mad they didn't cast Titus Burgess or Billy Porter as Ursula.

Right, that's my only real issue. The red hair is supposed to really pop and stand out against the other hues in the movie. Granted, this is a different movie, but it appears to use most of the same visual language, excepting that.

Right, that's my only real issue. The red hair is supposed to really pop and stand out against the other hues in the movie. Granted, this is a different movie, but it appears to use most of the same visual language, excepting that.
I think I read they used her real hair for some of it. I respect that, but man I wanted really red hair.

I think I read they used her real hair for some of it. I respect that, but man I wanted really red hair.

I agree. I don't really get all bent out of shape over casting as long as the character feels the same and feels appropriate and organic. It's not always done successfully. It's details like if they are clean-shaven or scruffy, how they dress and carry themselves - these are the visual things that tell the audience about a character. The red hair is a defining visual trait that, for Ariel, sets her apart from her sisters, that tells us that she is going to act differently. Other than that, they got the casting right, certainly in the face - she's got those cheekbones! For me, it's just an odd choice.

I must be misunderstanding you. In one breath you say I'm "seriously deluded" if I think people are going to reveal their racism in everyday conversation, and then say "I've talked to enough people who are comfortable casually throwing around the n-word". ??
It does sound contradictory. Sorry. What I should have said was that there are likely a lot more people who hide their racism than those who are vocal about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter