Are you picky about dog breeds.....

We love big dogs and had a great black lab while our kids were teenagers.
Then we "inherited" our daughters bichon frise when she was unable to take care of him. He was such a blessing. He loved to cuddle and was so easy to care for. He had to be groomed every 6 weeks due to his hair. Bichon's don't shed. They have 2 coats of hair. The bottom one is a thick straight one and the top is a very fluffy and curly one. The only problem we found out about bichon's is that they are stubborn and won't come when you call them, only if and when they want to, LOL. But for the joy he gave us, we overlooked that. I wouldn't hesitate of get a small bichon again, especially at our ages where caring for a big dog would be a problem.

Picky in that we will only select rescue animals from shelters. I will not buy an animal for hundreds or thousands when so many need homes. So mostly ours are unidentified mutts. I say mostly because we had our current guy DNA tested so we know what he is, provided you trust the DNA test.

Last edited:
My dog is part pitbull. Adopting means getting dogs breeds that people are terrible at training and working with it. It's hard work.
Not at all! Why on earth would you think that? We only adopt mutts. Have some been harder to train than others? Sure. One of ours was smart enough to rewire our house. None have been hard work. Not at all. We have a wonderful training school that ours go through. Not a one has failed or been kicked out.

Now I do have a friend with a pure breed that was kicked out. And in our current dogs puppy class there was a pure breed that wouldn’t get off of mom‘s shoulders the entire class.

If you ask me the inbreeding and irresponsible breeding in some breeds can cause more problems with puppies than most mixed breeds have

I have had dogs most of my life. My first dog was actually my grandparents German Shepherd. We had a Shepherd mix when I was 10-18. Then my parents got what we thought was a plain old mutt - A Cockerpoo. Little did we know that our sweet Hobo was a trend setter. We also had a couple terrier mixes. When my husband and I got married I gave him a puppy for our 1 Month Anniversary. Some kids were at the local market trying to get people to adopt their puppies. She was a terrier mix and the most stubborn, difficult dog ever. I have had a Boxer mix, Brittney's and a Corgi mix over the years. Almost 10 years ago I had to put my Boxer Mix down. I sobbed so much, I said I could never get another dog. Then my Chewbacca came into my life. My son-in-law's cousin fosters for a rescue organization. She had taken in a Pug whose owner surrendered her because she was "ruined". The owner was a breeder, and the Pug was pregnant by her Chihuahua. She wanted the puppies aborted and the vet refused. The pups were born that night. When the cousin posted pictures, I was in love. I was able to get pick of the litter, so we went down to see them. My Chewie came right to me and snuggled up next to my neck and went to sleep. She had my heart right there.
Chewie is the smartest dog I think I have ever owned. She was pad trained at my house, bell trained at my son's house and now is trained to go for walks. We redid the house and she refused to use her pads. Now she barks at my husband 3 times a day to go out. She can tell a dog commercial from anywhere in the house and will talk to the TV. She is such a goofy little thing with the legs and head of a chihuahua and the body and face of a pug. I don't even want to contemplate the future without her.

Not so much breeds, but definitely size. Give me a big dog any day over a small yappy one. We had a Springer Spaniel at one time and she was the best dog ever.

Hey now, not all small dogs are yappy. I have two dogs right now, the large Hound / Boxer mix is the yappiest thing I have ever seen. I always threaten to change his name to Gladys Kravitz because all he wants to do all day is look through the blinds at the neighbours, so he can bark at them. The small terrier mix, is the most chill dog I have ever had - given a choice between a yawn and a bark, she will yawn 10/10 times lol.

I am not picky at all about breeds, I have always wanted to get a different breed every time, so that I could experience as many breeds as possible in life. ::yes::

Hey now, not all small dogs are yappy. I have two dogs right now, the large Hound / Boxer mix is the yappiest thing I have ever seen. I always threaten to change his name to Gladys Kravitz because all he wants to do all day is look through the blinds at the neighbours, so he can bark at them. The small terrier mix, is the most chill dog I have ever had - given a choice between a yawn and a bark, she will yawn 10/10 times lol.

I am not picky at all about breeds, I have always wanted to get a different breed every time, so that I could experience as many breeds as possible in life. ::yes::
You are so right, not all small dogs are yappy, though I think I high percentage of them are. And so often it’s that shrill yappy that penetrates to your bones. We have a big guy that can be really vocal when there’s an intruder within his line of sight. His is a make you jump out of your seat vocal :eek: We’ve been working on that though and he’s much better now. At least until one of those horrible uniformed delivery guys dares to intrude on his domain! Now, never you mind that one of them always comes bearing milk bones. Even went so far as to buy big guy bones just for our 80lb goof.

Last edited:
We adopted a rescue German Shepherd recently after his owner passed away. He’s a love. I am partial to that breed, he’s my seventh. Have had them as long as I can remember. We took a break for a little while after our last two needed wheels, which tore my heart out, and I was caring for my mother at home, too, so it was a lot. During that time we got a Cairn Terrier (a Toto) and he’s amazing, not a yapper at all and full of personality. Makes us laugh. Also has a stubborn streak, though, as a Terrier. But we love him to pieces. We missed having a Shepherd, and it took a really long time to find one that was right for our family. I must’ve applied for at least 60 dogs before getting this one. But he was worth the wait.

In the pool the other day:

CED2CDFB-705A-499E-870A-2C79EDBD9D0E.jpeg

Boxers and bullies... I'll never own a different breed. I just love them too much!
Head tilt queens!

Attachments

• 279894956_10160255940301340_6085673859709574838_n.jpg
    279894956_10160255940301340_6085673859709574838_n.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I love Boxers and bullies because they love so hard and want to please. Mine have been very easy to train because they are so food motivated and eager to make US happy. They are very affectionate and fun loving also! BUT they ARE clingy.

I have always had big dogs and at the moment I have a male golden retriever. I like to walk for miles every day and he suits my lifestyle. But he is big and strong and although golden are easy to train, I am not getting any younger, so I think he will probably be my last big dog.

I once had a border collie. He was beautiful and very bright, but very strong willed. Probably the next size down from a retriever, but I don’t know whether I have the stamina to train a dog of such intelligence again.View attachment 681230View attachment 681231
Get a slightly less big & strong girl golden!

I grew up with doxies and then had a few cocker spaniels. We said good bye to our last cocker in August of 2020 when she was 16 years old. It broke my heart and I knew i had to wait a while before getting another dog. After several months, I decided to look for a puppy. I couldn't get another cocker though - just too painful. I did a bunch of research and ended up with my pembroke welsh corgi. Even all of my research didn't quite prepare me for the differences in the breed - so much energy and VERY vocal. She barks at everything and nothing. She loves to watch tv and barks at all animals - dogs, horses, cows, real or even animated! She's so stubborn, but incredibly smart and we are just in love with her. She is a fluffy coat and sheds like nothing I have ever seen before.

I like she is a big dog in a smaller body. I was adamant about not having a dog so tall that it could counter surf in the kitchen. No smooshed faces. No pit bulls or anything else that could drive up my home owners insurance. Once my puppy matures, I would like to do some agility or obedience training with her...or even corgi racing. She is very fast and loves to prove it when she has my sock and is playing keep away with me.

I am a small dog person. Growing up we had a choodle mix(Gidget)that was mostly long hair chihuahua.

My first dog with my husband was a short hair chihuahua (Chase). Then we got my Mom a chihuahua / rat terrier mix - Chiarat named Skyler. Shortly after that she got a girl chiarat and a girl rat terrier.

Our next two dogs came from Mom's dogs. Our first was Katy - long haired tall skinny. Our second was Kinsey - short haired stocky.

My husband always wanted a basset hound so when some popped up available at the vets office we got Annabelle.

She is lovely but nothing like our little dogs. Waiting for the right time since we are in the middle of home renovations but our next dog will likely be a chihuahua.

I did not grow up with dogs, but when I married, my husband had a Doberman who was the sweetest dog ever (although he did have a protective mode with strangers... not aggressive, just protective). We have now had multiple Doberman's over the years (currently have two) and they have always been the favorites in our neighborhood. They were more reliable around kids than many other dogs near us, even smaller dogs. I love the dynamic of people that know them do not fear to come into our yard and engage with them (even when they are out by themselves with an invisible fence), but those that do not know them are hesitant. They have NEVER showed extreme aggression, nor have they ever harmed anyone (even folks delivering packages), but I do feel safer in my home with them here, especially when I'm home alone. I don't even set our alarm anymore as I feel that they are better deterrents than an alarm. This breed is totally misunderstood and have been the best dogs for our family as my kids grew up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter