• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you gonna eat that!? Our DDP reviews from 8.5-8.11

Did somebody say...SHARKS? :scared1: Yes, there were some close encounters on Day 5. More on that later...

At this point, I was starting to feel bad for DBF. This being his first WDW vacation, he was pooped out! :love2: All the walking, heat, humidity and crowds were starting to get to him so I decided to throw a bit of pixie dust his way & tell him we should sleep in...'til 9:30! :rotfl2:

We hopped on the bus & headed to Epcot, refusing to deal with Pop food court food again. Along the way, it started to sink in that today we would be flirting with some serious danger- swimming with SHARKS!
:offtopic: When we first discussed vacationing in the World, DBF wasn't convinced that it was "adult friendly." I assured him that there would be plenty of thrills & spills to be had & I set out on a mission to find something great. Along came the Seas Aqua Tour! For 30 minutes, DBF and I would swim in the Seas tank with the sharks, rays, sea turtles, huge nasty groupers and lots of Ariel's other friends. It seemed perfect at the time...
disneyworld8507-811.07074.jpg

but we were feeling a little tense the day of!!

We got to Epcot around lunchtime & grabbed a FP for Soarin'. We'd had a great experience with Sunshine Seasons before so we decided to give their lunch selections a try. This place has SO MANY OPTIONS!! Rotisserie chicken, sandwiches, asian selections, salads, soup, etc. For this meal, we split a turkey sandwich combo. It was a large pizza slice shaped piece and came with muenster cheese, lettuce and chipotle mayo on foccacia bread. It was GOOOOOOOD! I really enjoyed the kick from the mayo and the bread was really fresh! I really love Sunshine Seasons. We also had a peanut butter brownie mousse dessert. This was also really fudgy and delicious- you can't go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate!

:offtopic: After lunch, we headed over to the Seas to take one last look in the tank before we actually dove in. We were TERRIFIED by this point. "Look at those ugly grouper!" I'd say. "Sharks!? You're putting me in a tank with sharks?" :faint: It seemed like a good idea when I booked it...? Well, it was INCREDIBLE. We got a backstage tour of the Seas, saw where the food is prepared for the animals and then watched a video about the facility & the species we would soon encounter during our swim. They took us to the locker room & we put on our (very tight :crazy2:) wetsuits. Then, they paraded us out into the crowds & led us to the top of the tank. We put on out equipment & soon we were swimming around in the water! WOW. It was breathtaking- sharks below us, sea turtles playfully sticking their heads out of the water and those huge nasty grouper getting just a little too close for comfort. At one point, a stingray almost grazed our stomachs! We froze, completely stunned at its close proximity to our limbs. It was definitely up close & personal. :3dglasses My favorite part, other than seeing the animals up close of course, was waving to the kids through the windows. They thought they were watching experienced CM divers when, in reality, it was just little old me! It was nice to spread the Disney magic.
We were sad for the experience to end but I feel so honored to have had the opportunity to swim in "the world's 6th largest ocean" with such gorgeous creatures. Thanks to the Disers who wrote about this experience in their trip reports- I never would have known about this!

Back to the food!! After the Seas Aqua Tour, we finally got a chance to tour World Showcase. We sampled lots of tasty snacks (I'll review these later) & landed at the Mexico Pavilion for dinner. I would have loved to try San Angel for dinner but our last 4 TS credits were reserved for dinner @ California Grill the next night. The Cantina seemed like a good alternative. It was 7:30 or so & the tables were already being saved for Illuminations viewing. We had already seen the show & just wanted to eat! Luckily, we found a tiny table for two up against one of the railings. DBF & I split a combination platter (beef burrito, chicken taco and quesadilla, beans and salsa) and a churro! DBF had been requesting one of these allllllll week. The combination platter was just ok. I liked the quesadilla though it was deep fried and seemed a lot greasier & heavier than your typical quesadilla. The burrito was just beef wrapped in a tortilla but I ate it with some of the beans. The meat had a good kick to it. The chicken taco was just messy & not very good, in my opinion. I let DBF eat most of the churro (it was huuuuuuuuuuuuuge!). He thought it was good & noted that it wasn't as sugary as many of the churros he has encountered in the past....& he's had his fair share! :rolleyes2 He enjoyed it enough that he got another one the next day! If I were to eat here again, I'd probably stick with the churros & margaritas. I don't see what the hype is about the seating- there are plenty of good viewing locations around the WS that don't require the self defense skills that saving a table at the Cantina does!

Next up: Our last Disney day :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter