• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW - NEW 5/17 Chap 11 on Pg 13

nicolemarie said:
And being the submissive wife I am, I go ahead and call Disney to see what resort has the best AP rate for the Thanksgiving weekend.

It’s AKL by a landslide, so I book it.

Just in case.

Now before you go thinking that I’m some manipulative, spoiled brat wife – pressuring my man into a trip he doesn’t want to take – let me set the record straight.

I know this man like the back of my hand. And I know he loves Disney World. And I also know that by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, he’ll be more ready for the trip than I will.

Call it woman’s intuition.

Okay, it's on now. You've given me an idea. Because I know my husband like the back of my hand too. And I just know he's gonna want to stay at the Grand Floridian for two weeks next October. I'm off to get Disney on the phone. I'll tell him it's all your fault if it turns out he's not down with it.

So I made up my itinerary in Excel

But was it color coded?

NM, stop messin' with poor Frickles.

I liked your update, my Girl. And I'm so glad Frickles didn't spoil your plans like we all thought she did. That Frickles. What a spoil sport.

KIDDING.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story, NM.

Bring it on, Girl. I'm down wid it.

:moped: :moped:

Hey, we were at Disney for Thanksgiving (11/23 - 11/29)

And we went to AKL for Thanksgiving dinner at Boma. If you were there that night and saw a 4yo little Chinese girl throwing a tantrum in Boma, it wasn't us ;)

Great trip report so far.

HLDisney (back 5 days and already trying to figure out when we can next go back....)

nicolemarie said:
Now before you go thinking that I’m some manipulative, spoiled brat wife – pressuring my man into a trip he doesn’t want to take – let me set the record straight.
Is there something wrong with that? I don't think there's anything wrong with that.... ;)
nicolemarie said:
So I made up my itinerary in Excel
Not Excel.....Word....Word for the itinerary!
nicolemarie said:
But because opinions on the DIS are as helpful as they are useless
Well said!
nicolemarie said:
But eventually, my DH realized he could get pretty excited about a Thanksgiving trip to the World. And he said “Let’s do it!”
See.....momma knows best! Way to go, NM! I started on DH just this morning on the September '07 trip...I've got a long way to go with him. But alas, my ADRs are already in the Word table awaiting the 180 day mark. :smooth:
Great installment! Keep it coming....

So what you're saying is you've made my favorite screename feel bad about something she didn't do. What's next? Posting pictures of chubby bald women and claiming it's her?

The real question here is at what point did you know you had tipped the scales with him? Not, when did he say, "let's do it," but when did you know he was going to say that? Not that my wife has ever tried to manipulate me, I'm just wondering how far in advance of when I say yes to something does she know that's going to be the answer.

Also, I understand you stayed at AKL. Can you give me an opinion about staying at Coronado Springs? We're not planning on staying there.

:moped:

nicolemarie said:
Calm down, sweet Frick!

I was totally kidding about all that! It really happened just like I said back then. I told him about the joke I pulled on you and then he said "maybe she's right". You didn't ruin a thing.

He isn't a lurker. He only reads things when I pull them up and call him to the computer. I am definitely the only DisDork in my family. :thumbsup2

So you really were the poster that did that!!!! :blush: I knew someone had pulled a good one on me but I didn't 100% know it was you! Good one NM! :thumbsup2 I really did it so that I could earn the spotlight in your TR and tack that on to my 15 minutes of fame. :smooth:

Plus, I won’t have to host the NM Thanksgiving Dinner. Which I didn’t mind last year, but here is the state of affairs in our home.

A little remodel. Taking much longer than it was supposed to. Surprise.

My dear NM!!! I have just laughed up some Reese's bite-sized treats over these first two chapters!

Either way, I’m securing some ADR’s and making a plan. I ain’t gonna be stuck in the cold when the man comes around a week before the trip. Plus, I’m a Disser. And isn’t the planning ALMOST as fun as the trip
Sooo SMART, my girl. I almost did this myself a couple of weeks ago.

Me: Five days out.

DH: Alright. Leave them for now. We’ll decide later.

Then that night when it was time for him to get home from the office, me and the kids would be sitting around the TV watching our DVD from the Spring Break Trip. And as we’d hear the garage door open, we’d make sure we forced some fake tears out for effect.

Again she says she’s not manipulative.
BORG!! I also find it helpful to sing Wishes in the shower, DVR the Travel Channel Disney specials, and put the photo albums on the coffee table. You know what got him this time, though? The screensaver. Yep. All our Dis pics are my screensaver.

You are :woohoo: :woohoo: baby. It seems like yesterday I was gettin' to know ya on your first TR. Your Pump Fake report this summer contained one of my all-time fave Dis-pics: you crying on the monorail. I thought if you didn't go this Thanksgiving I might have to come on down and drive you myself.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :dance3:

OK - See the ticker??

I am not yet or will I be caught up till say 2007. I want to read and enjoy and not SKIM. So you are on my reading list for a cold day in January :rotfl2: Early January. But subscribed means I won't forget. And by then I will be able to read, say 3 chapters :teeth:

NM, you are the un-manipulator's manipulator! Way to go, and I bow to your mad skills. Can you help a mama out with a DH reluctant to go again this December? (early -- not Christmas week). Remind him we'll have AP's, we can borrow the points, and we have a $400 Southwest credit!!! 'Kay? Thanks so much.

Lexy said this was a must read so I am here.

Lexy was right.

Certain people have a knack for useful tips.

You are my hero. Mine and all the other Disdorks' who want to convince their spouses that twice a year is NOT enough, and that AP discounts exist so you can visit as often as possible! Now, start working on the next trip, or better yet, on selling him on a DVC purchase. Kimmie and I can help you with that one ;)

I loved this installment, and am enjoying the building anticipation. Keep 'em comin!!

What better way to bring your TR back to the top than with a new installment! :thumbsup2

Thanks, friends, and new folks, too, for reading!! I appreciate all the encouraging comments and the funnies, too.

Everyone around the NM household has been sick lately, so it gave me time to get my next installment going.

Y'all take care and thanks for reading!

NM :sunny:

There are certain things in life that always bring me comfort.

God’s love. My mom’s macaroni and cheese. My husband turning on the burglar alarm before we go to sleep. Watching my kids get out of the car and walk into the school that they love. Signing onto the DIS and finding a funny PM from a sweet friend.

Oh yeah. And pulling through the Dunkin’ Donuts drive-thru at 5:00 AM for coffee to sip on the way to Disney World. That brings me comfort AND joy. Because it’s a vacation ritual.

And because it’s the last good coffee I’ll have for the entire trip.

Anyway, the NM’s always leave for the World at 5:00 AM. DH and I are both early risers. And what better way to welcome a new day than heading down I-75 to Orlando with a cup of Hazelnut? Cream and light sugar.

DDcoffee2.jpg

Ironically, I have a picture. Because I was playing with the settings on my camera one morning after I picked some up.

Back to the story.

But sometimes you gotta buck tradition. So when DH decided the Friday before our trip that he was definitely blowing off work on Wednesday, instead of going in until noon, my wheels started turning. There was no way I was wasting Wednesday in the car. I was willing to forego my happy departure routine of waking up super-early in the morning and driving through that Dunkin’ Donuts for my happiness to-go on the way to the World.

So I decided the NM’s were gonna mix it up a little bit. We were leaving at suppertime Tuesday night. A new departure strategy. It’s wild and crazy, I know, but that’s how we roll.

Conservatives from the Bible Belt will surprise you sometimes.

The plan was to leave after work on Tuesday and head halfway down, and then go the rest of the way Wednesday morning.

But there were conditions. Mr. NM had decreed that there would be no last minute packing of the bags. There would be no stressful scrambling around in the eleventh hour to cross things off the to-do list. If we were to leave on Tuesday afternoon, it was not gonna be in a flurry of chaos.

Quick aside. If you’ve ever questioned the “opposites attract” theory, spend a few hours with me and my man. We couldn’t be more night and day. He can accomplish more in two hours than I can in two days. He’s driven, organized, and an efficient time-manager.

I’m happy-go-lucky, laid back, and constantly wondering why I get to the end of the day without having done everything I intended. And that was before the DIS. Now, I kind of know.

But in the true spirit of marriage, we complement one another well and he helps me get it together and I help him relax. It’s working for us, so we don’t question it.

Anywho – back to leaving on Tuesday. DH had declared that he would not leave for the World with me running around like an idiot trying to do four hours worth of stuff in 30 minutes. We’d just leave Wednesday morning if things weren’t ready to roll in time.

See? You think that manipulation thing doesn’t go both ways? That’s him manipulating me, in case you haven’t figured it out. He knows there is NO WAY I’m gonna blow my chances for early departure to the Happiest Place on Earth. Or is it the place Where Dreams Come True? Either way, he knows I’ll do whatever it takes to get there as soon as I can.

The man has gotten his wife into high gear. I’m gonna be driven, organized and an efficient time-manager, too.

I was checking my list off with fury. I simplified our packing like never before. Which meant I just threw in a bunch of everything. The weather was gonna be all over the board anyway, so who knew what we'd actually wear. I had no list, no zip-loc bags. Not that I've ever done the zip-loc bags, but this certainly wasn't the trip to start them. Packing is pretty simple when you just open the drawers and take stacks of clothes and put 'em in the suitcase.

I had my car serviced and detailed, cleaned the house, attended the kid’s Thanksgiving programs, made sure the camera batteries were charged, and stocked up on snacks at Walmart. All on Monday.

By the time I took my kids to school on Tuesday, I was ready. And quite proud of myself. I called my husband to crow. He paid me lip service, but I could tell he’d need to see it to believe it.

School was out at noon Tuesday, and when I picked up the kids, they were out of control with excitement.

“When are we going to Disney?” “Is it time to leave for Disney?” “Will we go to Magic Kingdom tonight?” “When is Daddy getting home?” “Can Expedition Everest be my first ride?”

I explained that I wasn’t sure exactly when Daddy would be home, but when he was, it was time to leave.

That comment horribly backfired on me as Daddy came home about 1:30 to pick up something he’d left that morning. To make matters worse, he was unaware that I had told the kids we were leaving when he came home.

And he walks in the door yelling “WHO'S READY TO GO TO DISNEY WORLD!!??”

The kids come screaming down the stairs jumping up and down and fired up because we are leaving earlier than they thought.

DH quickly realizes they think he means “who’s ready to go to Disney World RIGHT NOW” and tries to backtrack.

It’s too late.

My passionate and emotional son literally falls down on the floor crying. Hysterically. Because he’s just been given the worst pump fake of all time.

DH scoops him up and tries to make it right, but it’s no use.

The boy is heartbroken.

I try to seize the opportunity by telling DH just to blow off the office. Let’s head out. He’s already messed with his poor boy’s head enough. Just make it good and let’s go.

That’s a no-go, but he says he’ll be home as soon as he can, and all he’ll need to do is pack his clothes.

Which will SUPPOSEDLY take 10 minutes.

I’m leaving that alone. But suffice it to say, it took longer than 10 minutes.

Finally DH was home and we were ready to go.

And in a surprising move, he asked me to drive, which NEVER happens, and said he’d brought some reading material. Reading material from the DIS in the form of a Trip Report.

Turns out, a family much like ours had taken a trip to the AKL in September and my husband wanted to get the skinny. He’d brought LaLa’s report and was gonna get caught up.

We laughed out loud a lot, nodded our heads in agreement often, and my husband asked me to explain the meaning of several inside jokes. He also got a huge case of the willies from her description of the Dateline special on bedbugs. And forced me to check and triple check the beds when we arrived at our halfway point to sleep.

Then he questioned why she kept going on about winning the Waterslide Olympic Gold.

I told him I could explain it, but he’d think I was even bigger dork than he already does, so he said he didn’t really need to know.

We got to the part about the LaLas playing Disney music as they arrived, and DH asked if I brought the Spectromagic CD. I said I did not. And that I hadn’t even thought of it.

He said my planning was already slipping.

So I quickly said I had done something even better. We’d be WATCHING the Lion King when we arrived. Not just listening to it.

Take that, LaLa.

The first part of the trip was pretty uneventful. Thankfully, we didn’t hit any bad traffic, and we crossed the Florida line a little before 9:00.

And here’s where another part of the NM tradition was broken. We stopped at the Florida Welcome Center for our free cup of OJ. It’s something we always do. Cause we’re all about free.

And this is what we saw.

IMG_0414.jpg

Denied. No juice for you.

A little further down the road and we arrived at the Country Inns and Suites in Lake City, Florida. We had agreed that this was halfway, and from a little internet research, it seemed to be a good stop off for some zzzz’s.

The kids had already fallen asleep in the car, so we went from this:

IMG_0416.jpg

To this.

sleep.jpg

There were lots of folks checking in that night because traffic was HORRIBLE going North on I-75. We were thankful to be heading South. There was also a prediction of snow and bad weather on the Southeast coast, which had gotten everyone in a tizzy. That happens here in Dixie. The slightest mention of the white stuff, or even ice, will clear the grocery shelves of bread and canned soup in a New York minute.

The Country Inns and Suites was nothing to write home about. Or really even to write in a trip report about.

But it was clean – for the most part – and for $99 we had a suite with a king bed in the bedroom, a pull out couch for the kids, and a free breakfast that was actually pretty good.

Better than that, we were 3 hours closer to the World than we would have been in our own beds. Tomorrow morning we would get up and travel only 2 ½ hours to our favorite vacation destination.

So this night would definitely bring some sweet dreams.

If we weren’t too excited to sleep.

[post=16041157] Next chapter [/post]

Geez....am I first? Great installment, NM!

May I ask...what's with the dads packing when it's time to GO! My husband did the same thing...only he couldn't find his suitcase so had to call his sister and drive to her house to borrow one. Aaaaggghhh!

And no DD coffee & no fresh squeezed Florida OJ??? Oh well, when you're on your way to Disney it's hard to complain. Hope everybody in the NM household is feeling better soon!

Excellent, excellent.... I just found another TR to waste my time with. I had gotten away from you all for a few months, and then I just get sucked back in by TRs. This one has been very nice, by the way. Thanks for your memories and laughs.

I am now making a note to ask DW if she has ever manipulated me without me knowing it. Now taking bets on what her answer will be...

One last note, and I hate to be the one to tell you this. Dunkin Donuts has terrible coffee. The beans are burned beyond taste during the roasting process. If you have to put cream and sugar in the coffee to make it palatable, it is bad coffee. Coffee snob? Yes I am. Flame away. :rotfl2:

Looking forward to the next chapter. :thumbsup2

ukwildcat said:
One last note, and I hate to be the one to tell you this. Dunkin Donuts has terrible coffee. The beans are burned beyond taste during the roasting process. If you have to put cream and sugar in the coffee to make it palatable, it is bad coffee. Coffee snob? Yes I am. Flame away.

UK - Thanks for reading!

Coffee snob, huh? I won't flame you. I'll just disagree. :teeth:

I love coffee from DD. So what if the beans are burned beyond taste?

I'm also the redneck who likes to stab a hot dog with a coat hanger and get it good and charred before I eat it. :thumbsup2

And any opportunity to add extra fats and sugars to something has got to be a good thing, not bad, right?

Thanks for the info, though. I hope you'll continue to read!!

NM

DDcoffee2.jpg

Or at least the new Redneck coasters. And I know what the LaLas are getting the NMs for Christmas this year.

Packing is pretty simple when you just open the drawers and take stacks of clothes and put 'em in the suitcase.

So that's how you do it? I'm definitely gonna have to remember that tip for next time cause it sounds much less stressful than my way.

I explained that I wasn’t sure exactly when Daddy would be home, but when he was, it was time to leave.

That comment horribly backfired on me as Daddy came home about 1:30 to pick up something he’d left that morning. To make matters worse, he was unaware that I had told the kids we were leaving when he came home.

And he walks in the door yelling “WHO'S READY TO GO TO DISNEY WORLD!!??”

The kids come screaming down the stairs jumping up and down and fired up because we are leaving earlier than they thought.

DH quickly realizes they think he means “who’s ready to go to Disney World RIGHT NOW” and tries to backtrack.

It’s too late.

My passionate and emotional son literally falls down on the floor crying. Hysterically. Because he’s just been given the worst pump fake of all time.

DH scoops him up and tries to make it right, but it’s no use.

Okay, this is such a scene from my house. Especially the pump fake Who's Ready to go to Disneyworld part. When I read it, I heard it in my husband's voice and pictured him walking in the door and throwing his arms up because that's his line. It's what he always says to get the kids good and wound up for the trip. So borg.

Cause we’re all about free.

Again, so borg.

Turns out, a family much like ours had taken a trip to the AKL in September and my husband wanted to get the skinny. He’d brought LaLa’s report and was gonna get caught up.

We laughed out loud a lot, nodded our heads in agreement often, and my husband asked me to explain the meaning of several inside jokes. He also got a huge case of the willies from her description of the Dateline special on bedbugs. And forced me to check and triple check the beds when we arrived at our halfway point to sleep.

Okay, this whole thing had me laughing out loud. Sorry about the bedbug thing, Mr. NM. I hope you made our Taskmaster rip the headboard off the wall when you checked in. Go ahead and ask her about the Taskmaster thing too while you're at it. It won't be any worse than the explanation for this one...

Then he questioned why she kept going on about winning the Waterslide Olympic Gold.

I told him I could explain it, but he’d think I was an even bigger dork than he already does, so he said he didn’t really need to know.

This part had me completely DED. Seriously. I laughed so loud when I read it, I woke up the kids, the neighbors, Mel, the General, and da Schpup. And now you'll have to explain to him who da Schpup is. Don't forget the part about his speech impediment. That oughta be real good.

Anyway, DH has been there from the get go for the gold medal stuff so luckily I haven't had to try to explain it to him. Or else I might be enjoying the comforts of a rubber room and a straight jacket right about now. Segue. By the way, I fixed a grammatical error for you up there. But I won't tell you where. And you're welcome.

We got to the part about the LaLas playing Disney music as they arrived, and DH asked if I brought the Spectromagic CD. I said I did not. And that I hadn’t even thought of it.

He said my planning was already slipping.

So I quickly said I had done something even better. We’d be WATCHING the Lion King when we arrived. Not just listening to it.

Take that, LaLa.

Yeah, you're cool and all that, but do you really think it's a good idea to be watching anything as you drive up to the AKL, NM? Other than the valets scrambling out of your way? And those cool as all get out light fixtures coming into view? Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you bleach your teeth and highlight your hair in the car. Maybe there's a reason your husband always drives. Just sadin'. LY/MI.

That happens here in Dixie. The slightest mention of the white stuff, or even ice, will clear the grocery shelves of bread and canned soup in a New York minute.

And close down the schools. That's the most important one in the kids' eyes. Don't you just love the South?

So this night would definitely bring some sweet dreams.

If we weren’t too excited to sleep.

I love this. Too excited to sleep. Such a classic.

NM my girl, I loved this installment. It made me feel the excitement of the day before Disney all over again. I felt like I was headed down I-75 towards the Happiest Place on Earth (we can still call it that) right along with your sweet little family. So thanks for that.

Keep it comin' Woman. You're rockin' it.

:moped: :moped:

nicolemarie said:
I'm also the redneck who likes to stab a hot dog with a coat hanger and get it good and charred before I eat it.

I may be a coffee snob, but I am not beyond charring my hot dogs. It's the only way I will eat them. Remember, I went to school in Kentucky.

My god first yesterday I find LaLa, and today I find you! The two of you are going to make me never leave my computer again! You're a great writer and hilarious. I do the same thing with my fiancee...and it always works like a charm. First month- absolutely not. Second month- I really don't think it's a good idea financially Third month- well where would we stay? We sure as hell aren't staying at a deluxe again! ;)

Finally! A trip report that's about something. So many of them are about nothing.

I really liked this installment. Although we don't live close enough to drive, there were some similarities in our departure routines. We debate leaving the night before to stay at the airport and Mrs. Z is ALWAYS rushing around trying to finish packing. No matter when we leave, she's finishing up her stuff in the last minute.

Double D coffee RULES! I'd sell LaLa's bronze medal for a cuppa D right now.

"Because she's a delusional maniac with a gold fetish." That's how I respond when da Schpup! asks me the same question.

But you have to ask yourself. Who's more dork-like? LaLa for claiming she won a ficitional medal in fictional Olympic games when everyone knows I won GOLD, me for creating said games or you for saying Country Inn & Suites is not worth writing about.

You said they had a decent breakfast!

:moped:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter