Are we REALLY missing out if we don't stay in a resort?

We did this a few years ago after our dinner at O`hanas, and it was a great way to end the evening before driving back to the house we were renting offsite. The kids loved it!

I LOVE staying on property!! That being said, it is always good to have your own space..and it looks like you got a great deal. Stay on property "someday"..Have a great time!

OP, I understand where you are coming from and based on all the points you listed in your first post, it sounds like the chain hotel suite would better fit your vacationing style. My family is in a similar situation as we are considering a non-Disney Orlando vacation this year. We love our stays at hotel chains like the Residence Inn and Staybridge Suites where we get free breakfast, housekeeping service, a full kitchen, and a separate living room and bedroom for our shorter trips that are only a few days long; but the option of getting a 2 bedroom condo at Windsor Hills or Bonnett Creek with our own washer/dryer and more space for a much lower rate makes the hotel brands we trust and are accustomed to seem less attractive for an Orlando based vacation. We don't spend a great deal of time in the pool while on vacation since that is something we do a lot at home in the summers, so resort style pools wouldn't be a deal breaker for us. DH really likes the idea of having the housekeeping service and free breakfast that we get with the hotel suites even though I am leaning more towards the condo. So for us, I guess the deciding factors are going to be the length of the trip, the transportation factor, and how much down time we really plan on having back at the room. Good luck in whatever you decide :thumbsup2

The only time we stayed off site was at dtd Hilton, we got to stay for free because of dh points. We liked the pool and comfy beds but that was it. We ended up moving to the poly after 5 days of trying to like it. We won't stay off site again, we have enough points to stay at the Waldorf Astoria but we just enjoy being at a Disney resort, to us it is a big part of our vacation.

Have you ever went to O'hanas and ate then watched the fireworks on the beach? We are doing a non-disney trip this year, and would like to take the kids to watch the fireworks. Is it hard to do, or is it easy peasy?

Easy peasy. :) So easy that, if it's a crowded time of year, there'll be crowds. :p But unless you want a chair or something (which IMHO should be left for people staying there anyhow), not a problem at all. Pick up a Dole whip and stroll out the back, veer to the right around the pool, and there you are!

Easy peasy. :) So easy that, if it's a crowded time of year, there'll be crowds. :p But unless you want a chair or something (which IMHO should be left for people staying there anyhow), not a problem at all. Pick up a Dole whip and stroll out the back, veer to the right around the pool, and there you are![/QUOTE

Will I be able to park there without a dinner ressie? I tried getting one, and obviously it is to late out for me in March! Is it long to wait for dinner? I have never tried a dole whip, so where do I get one!?

would go with the Polyn or CR - at Polyn the Kona Cafe it is cheaper than O'hana.

the CR the wave - it is on the first floor - so be sure to finish before the fireworks. then go to the 4th floor - outside area - pass the gift shops - if you get there early you can sit down. otherwise it is standing.

to the op - a vacation is what you make it.

yes the other stuff is nice - but you know what your family needs.

I stay in studios alot. but mostly travel solo or with one other person.
if a hotel room is what you need then it will work. but some condo (especially in this market) are actually cheaper than hotel rooms.

look around - especially offsite and see about getting a deal.

here is parent website of the Dis - their travel agent
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resort.htm

with a kitchen you can eat more in your villa and don't have to pay Disney or even offsite prices for food. Florida has no tax on groceries.

The Emerald Island condo we are staying at is less than the hotel you mention. We are staying for 8 nights for $560 inclusive of tax and cleaning. Emerald Island is a gated community very close to the parks(7-15 minutes depending on the park) We have stayed there before and you can see the clubhouse/pool from the condo. It is 3 beds/3 baths, and has everything we wanted. I don't find a hotel(even a Disney one) comfortable, with everyone being crammed together, one bathroom, and noise from other rooms. I like to be able to park and walk right into my place vs. dealing with walking all over a resort and then climbing stairs to get to my room. I also like to be able to do laundry so I can pack light and go home with clean clothes, and being able to cook if I decide to do so.

http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/vacation-rentals/Kissimmee-Florida-vacation-rental-townhouse-proID-42665.html

Last year, we had 8 people, so we rented a 5 bed/4bath Indian Creek pool home. It was maybe 1-2 minutes from Emerald Island, so still close to the parks. It was $800 for 8 nights inclusive of everything and the kids had a private pool and game room.

http://www.vrbo.com/229838

Will I be able to park there without a dinner ressie? I tried getting one, and obviously it is to late out for me in March! Is it long to wait for dinner? I have never tried a dole whip, so where do I get one!?

Unless it's super busy, you'll be able to park there without a dinner reservation. I believe they do close the resort to off-site guests without a reservation when it's super busy, but the only times I've heard of it happening it was Christmas or New Years.

You can get serve your own Dole Whips at Captain Cooks, the quick serve on the ground floor. :thumbsup2

Honestly, I think all of the options have their pros & cons. For us, we like condos because we like having the kitchen and the opportunity to do laundry before we go home, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. We have actually stayed at the Fairfield you are talking about and it was fantastic. It is clean and nice and the food court down stairs is very convenient. It's super close to WDW property, so it is totally possible to pop back over to the hotel for a swim or nap in the afternoon.

As others have said, it's what is appropriate for your own family. We love staying on property for the amenities offered, but my parents have never once stayed in a WDW resort and if they go with us this year, they will stay off site while we're at Bay Lake.

For us, the #1 priority is not depending on Disney transportation. We drive to the other parks, but that walkway to and from the Contemporary is gold for us! After getting stuck in a massive crowd exiting MK for hours one night and staring longingly at the Contemporary the whole time, wishing we had stayed there, it's more than worth the extra cost for us. We're not really pool people, we're park people, so it's always perfect for us.

In your personal situation, as long as the pros outweigh the cons, then that's all that matters. And really, your kids will have no idea what they're missing (same piece of advice for not going commando at the parks - it's impossible to see everything and you'll never know you missed it). I didn't stay in my first WDW hotel until two years ago and I had no idea it was what it was, so I'm hooked now, but as a child I don't even think I realized WDW offered their own hotels because I was so excited being in the parks!

We stay at a basic condo development that has a basic pool. Just having a pool feels like vacation to me! On non-Disney trips we've stayed at basic motels like Super 8s or Howard Johnsons, and that was fine, too. I think the hotel you described sounds fantastic. I won't pay oodles of money for a fancy resort. I'd rather stay somewhere clean and affordable, and be able to travel more often!

It really depends on you and yoru family. We have stayed offsite (Westgate condos) and on (at an All-star, Port Orleans and Contemporary). You save a ton of money staying offsite. Our next trip, we will probably stay offsite. Holiday Inn Downtown Disney has great ratesa and seems nice. But, I am afraid that we'll miss that little bit of extra disney magic we get onsite.

As for resort vs hotel, we prefer resorts. But, my kids are young, and we do not wake up, and hit the parks all day. Our room is not just a place to sleep. We usually spend a fair amoutn of time in it, and don't do the water parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter