Are we finally sailing? The Disney Difference Sep/Oct 2016 it's a wrap!

Hi Paula
I don't know if you are aware but you can purchase the Lego castle on the Lego UK Web sight.It is delivered to your home from there.Sorry you had trouble at the villas Grand Floridian.

Thank you! Yes I have seen the wonderful castle online I was wanting to use my AP 20% sweet discount! But the box would have been quite large anyway on the flight!

I can only hint for Christmas... thanks for reading !

I can't remember if I've ever commented here, but I've read your entire report and love it! You have such an amazing attitude about everything, and your writing makes me smile :) I'm also very excited reading about your 4 day cruise, since I booked our first one ever for January 2018!

Hmmm, the trouble began...? That's certainly intriguing in a not-so-good-way.

I adore that castle! My kids, even at 14 and 18 would LOVE that! Heck, I would love that!

Ka-ching! Free upgrade! It's nice having the extra car room for sure! Nice that she held her cool; too many these days have short tempers and major anger issues.

I can't remember if I've ever commented here, but I've read your entire report and love it! You have such an amazing attitude about everything, and your writing makes me smile :) I'm also very excited reading about your 4 day cruise, since I booked our first one ever for January 2018!

I am so grateful to have you onboard! Thank you for reading and for commenting with your kind words. Congratulations with your first cruise you will love it! If you have any questions then I am all ears!

Hmmm, the trouble began...? That's certainly intriguing in a not-so-good-way.

I adore that castle! My kids, even at 14 and 18 would LOVE that! Heck, I would love that!

Ka-ching! Free upgrade! It's nice having the extra car room for sure! Nice that she held her cool; too many these days have short tempers and major anger issues.

I am desperate for that Castle! I keep looking at Jo with puss in boot eyes but it is not working lol! Thank you for reading it sure was nice to get a free upgrade. Jo says she thinks it was her calm British accent just kept saying no thank you sir. To a paid upgrade! We have learnt it is because they do not have the car you ordered. He he in the end it's yours the bigger one for free!

Hi Polly,

I'm sure that Lego castle has your name on it... and now your eyes are improving you'll be able to see all those fidly little bits :rolleyes:

Claire xx

Thanks Claire! Let us hope Christmas morning I am staring at a very big parcel! It will indeed be wonderful with my new bionic eyes!

Day 14 continued

We arrived full of excitement at The Villas at Grand Floridian.Jo parked us up outside the reception to unload the bags. Bell hop soon came to our aid to help with unloading the car. We left the luggage with them and Jo parked the car.

We were instantly greeted when we went through those glorious doors. It was a very nice welcome. I always look straight for my favourite icon the penguin fountain...

image.jpeg

Our room was not ready as we expected being early but the CM wanted to show us the new coffee machine they had in the reception area for the guests. Jo said it was lovely but only drinks decaf. The CM said no issue she would ensure that decaf pods were there in the drawer. We were very impressed.

We looked around and decided to go sit by the pool and wait for Pam...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Soon dear Pam arrived. We chatted and had a lovely time. Exchanging gifts and talks. We were so excited to see her we forgot a photo!

At some point Jo was told there was an issue with our room. Tomorrow being my birthday my ears prick up. This happened three years ago at Animal Kingdom on my birthday. We were moved from Kidani to Jambo as our accessible room had a flood. I was most upset I love Kidani. Until I realised it was a two bed suite in club..

Anyway sure enough the birthday flood curse occurred once more. No more accessible rooms in the Villas we were being moved to the Hotel of Grand Floridan. Jp complained this is not acceptable not being able to stay in your home resort. They upgraded us to a deluxe room and access to club in sugar loaf. Ok thinking it would be as fabulous as AK we jumped on it.

Pam came with us to check out the room. But when we arrived at the door the Magic Bands went red... Jo had to go back to reception and sort it out. I was glad Pam was there! Jo was gone ages wasn't she Pam. Then eventually Pam asked a passing CM let us in! But they would not. Then Pam asked a second CM and he did!

Jo came up a short while later and joined us.

It was a nice room....

image.jpeg image.jpeg

We said our goodbyes to Pam and I wasn't feeling so good. So Jo got food from the quick service later and we had some dinner in the room. Later I felt a little better and we went to sugar loaf to check out club.

We used our Magic bands to enter. There was a CM on a podium but she did not look up to say hello. Most strange we thought. At AK they were all over you like a rash. The cruise as well. Two more CMs at a desk. Again one glanced up. Then looked away. We were shocked. Jo asked did they have any wine? What kind if wine do they have? How does club work? The CM just about poured a glass of wine saying they had red or white....realiy going into thecdetails you know and pointed at the buffet. At AK we were walked around the room, given times, they knew our names! On the cruise they know your name without you saying. How rude!

The food selection was very good I have to say. Better compared to AK. But the grumpy CM placing it out was another story.

I liked the gummy bears...

image.jpeg

Jo and the begrudged glass of the super selection of white or red wine...

image.jpeg

Also nobody in club spoke to us. None of The other 999 spook guests. On the cruise and AK people are so friendly. We made friends. I named the place sugar aloof.

We could not wait to leave that tomb. It was like we had gone into a bar in a ghost town where the music stops and somebody tells you 'we don't get strangers around these parts'. We quickly took our unwanted souls back to the room to rest. At least we had a turn down service ...

image.jpeg

Please keep your upgraded room and free food at sugar aloof! I want my DVC fruendly CMs and room.... But at least the room was nice. Wait what was that? Oh my to top it all we seem to be next to the laundry we could hardky hear the TV! This was not a magical experience like AK. Polly not pleased.

Next up day 15 ...Happy 45th Birthday Polly and Magic Kingdom!

That's unbelievable your treatment in the club level in the Grand FloridIan. After all it is supposed to be the flagship hotel on Disney property.All the cast members there should be bending over backwards for their guests you should at least be greeted when you come in the entrance to the club level After all that's what you pay for when you book this hotel it is to be treated respectfully by the staff.At least your room was good.

Sorry about the lousy reception you received at the GF--wonder why everyone was so miserable. I do hope it went uphill from here--I mean your birthday was coming up so it could only get better right?

Getting off the ship is always sad. That's awful you got such a cold reception at the GF! I remember 3 years ago when that happened as well. I would hate if I was transferred from a villa to a regular hotel room. I want my fridge, my stove....

So funny about forgetting the picture with Pam, we seem to always do that too!

That's unbelievable your treatment in the club level in the Grand FloridIan. After all it is supposed to be the flagship hotel on Disney property.All the cast members there should be bending over backwards for their guests you should at least be greeted when you come in the entrance to the club level After all that's what you pay for when you book this hotel it is to be treated respectfully by the staff.At least your room was good.

Thank you. I know we were shocked. The only flagship here was a jolly roger!

Sorry about the lousy reception you received at the GF--wonder why everyone was so miserable. I do hope it went uphill from here--I mean your birthday was coming up so it could only get better right?

I had a lovely birthday thank you I am pleased to say.

Getting off the ship is always sad. That's awful you got such a cold reception at the GF! I remember 3 years ago when that happened as well. I would hate if I was transferred from a villa to a regular hotel room. I want my fridge, my stove....

So funny about forgetting the picture with Pam, we seem to always do that too!

Yes much rather have our precious DVC room. That is why we bought it right! Welcome home! We missed our kitchen. Thanks for reading.

Sugar Aloof sounds awful. I just can't comprehend this behavior at the GF.

Yes, Jo was gone a long time, I was so glad the 2nd CM let us in the room.

It was so wonderful seeing you and Jo. :hug: I'm sorry you weren't feeling well that night.

Love that penguin fountain!

Sugar Aloof sounds awful. I just can't comprehend this behavior at the GF.

Yes, Jo was gone a long time, I was so glad the 2nd CM let us in the room.

It was so wonderful seeing you and Jo. :hug: I'm sorry you weren't feeling well that night.

Love that penguin fountain!

Thanks again for meeting us! It was so lovely.

You are so sweet!

Kate

You are welcome. One cadbury chocolate bar also! She probably won't know who we are. I put English friends of yiur daughter. Hope that was ok.

Day 15 Happy 45th Birthday Polly and Magic Kingdom!

Saturday October 1st

How cool is it to share my birthday with the Magic Kingdom in Orlando? Yes that's right MK opened on 1st October 1971 the very day my poor Mum was having mega birth issues with me in a hospital in London. Born dead and blue with doctors shaking their heads at Mum and Dad who cried. I then cried shortly after and somewhere 5,000 miles away champagne bottles were flowing as Main Street opened for the first time. Our love was meant to be.

We woke excited at The Grand. We wanted to get into MK asap to get some of the official 45th birthday anniversary merchandise. Plus I still had a date with that Dooney Haunted Mansion purse I had held out for.

Jo was super cute decorating the bathroom....

image.jpeg

We had some cereal, showered and went to the quick service. No birthday is complete without Mickey waffles and ice cream for second breakfast!

Then we headed to the monorail.

image.jpeg

Come on! This line seems to be taking forever. Once on board we were soon speeding towards MK.

It sure was busy this morning. They had produced special edition park maps and buttons. We took one each. But not to busy for a photo...

image.jpeg

Then we saw the line for the Emporium store! Oh my it was all the way from the first door just as you start Main Street to well over towards Cinderella Castle. We got at the back. A CM was moving up and down the line showing us what they had left in the store...

image.jpeg

I broke away for a rest room break and sneaked a photo...You can just see my birthday button and the special edition button.

image.jpeg

I wanted the limited edition Passporters T shirt, A Pin, magic bands and whatever else that was nice. The line went down eventually and we were inside! We got a pin, Magic bands and I got the passporters t shirt, a flag, a cute hat Jo spied. The hat...

image.jpeg

Like a 2 year old I wanted to put my t shirt on of course....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then happy with the world we went to ride an FP+ on the Mine Train. We then did the Haunted Mansion how I adore this attraction. Then we went into the HM store .... Drum roll. Ladies and Gentlefolk and ghost hosts... May I introduce babies first Dooney bag... ( and the crowd goes wild...)

image.jpeg

Jo also got me some tea towels because I have a fetish...

image.jpeg

Then we had a burger lunch in Cosmic Rays which was busy but very nice. Whilst Jo was getting our lunch there was a incident of shoving me out the way again for my table. But the guilty individual who pretended to not speak English was mobbed by onlookers so I was rescued. They sheepishly went away.

We had one more look around the stores then headed out of the park. Later we would be returning to MK for a date with The Beast at Be our Guest!

To be continued..

Last edited:
Hi Polly! I read about 90% of the TR last Friday and had a ton of quotes to comment on, but lost them over the weekend I guess. Just finished getting caught up - first of all, I love your attitude on life, your love for sweets, and Jo sounds like an amazing partner!! Your dog is super cute too, glad all is well.

I leave in just over 2 weeks for a long weekend trip, and put on my to-do list "find Lumiere 3D Ornament" does it actually light up?? It is too cute!! I bought two of the Lumiere "candle"sticks for my daughters 4th birthday for her room (lol) and she loves them but that ornament is too cute. BTW she also has that red sparkly Minnie purse ;)

Also, did I read correctly that you were supposed to have a 1 Bedroom at VGF and they put you in a room w/ club level? Or were you supposed to have a studio?

OH and while thinking about rooms - holy moly, that suite on the cruise was AMAZING (minus the freezing vent above your head lol). Was there fresh air on your balcony though, it looked all glassed in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter