Are Walt's Fears Coming True?

***"Regarding agendas... yeah, I have one. I don't like the philosophy shift, and would like to see it change.

Beyond that, nothing.

How 'bout you?"***

Actually no. I have no agenda to prove or anyone else's to disprove. And for the time being I'm just going to let the "agenda" word disappear.

Matt - that is my point exactly. I never said it didn't bother other people - just that different things bother different people. I never said that it wasn't a legitimate complaint for another person. Tomorrowland's condition bothers me - doesn't bother you - same thing.

My point all along has been that different people experience things differently. One persons irritant eg: closing of the platform at the CR during fireworks to non-California Grill patrons - is another persons extra pixie dust.

One persons irritant...is another persons extra pixie dust.
I get what you are saying, its just that rarely is the situation as simple as that. Like you, I'm disappointed in the lack of manners shown by other guests at times, and how that can create a big mess. Given the options of leaving the garbage be, or using the machines, I'd have to agree that the machines are the better choice. But as has been pointed out, there's other options besides those two...

Disney is choosing the lesser of two evils, instead of finding a solution that fits with the classic Disney philosophy. I'll admit that with the CG situation, the answer is not as apparent as it is with the vacuums, but I have no doubt that Disney has some people smarter than me who would love to come-up with better solutions to some of these types of challenges. They just need more opportunity to do so.

the fact that with so many more people on this earth & so many people able to visit WDW and the econcoy being as it is...something has to give..

hubby & I took our first trip (honeymoon) in 1975...only MK was opened...it was pure magic....subsequently, we have gone back 14 or more times. mostly with kids...each year we see somewhat of a decline. My kids hate the fact that carousel of progress, alien, timekeeper are all shut down...

but you know what I say>>>>>

I am so thankful that they were able to see them at least once...

do I find WDW a little more greedy, do I see a little more maintenance needed to be done....heck yeah!!!

but on the same token....do I feel the magic when I walk down main street in MK for the first time of my trip???

and the answer is absolutely,positively yes.......
so when all is said and done....say what you will. no other place brings you back home or gives you that special feeling...

so I will keep returning until I find it different.

just my 2 cents guys

My opinion, I still have my POixie Dusted Rose Colored Glasses. I see that there is a gradual decline in the maintenance. I also see things like them working during the day (and not at night). I see some buildings starting to look like they need repair, but there is no excuse for having a tree fall over and injure several people. Not at Disney, Not at Six Flags, Heck, Not in any city.

I haven't been to DL since I was a teenager, and I don't expect to be able to remember the difference (DW and I are going there for Halloween). But I am aware of the original philosophy.

Additionally, I think the crowds at WDW are bigger than they were 10 years ago, and that coupled with the fact that a lot of people care less about things like littering than they used to. (I remember when you wore a suit on an airplane). I am not sure if the people sweeping up could do an effective job like they used to.

JMHO, I try to ignore the sweepers and such (until I get back home and post my rantings...)

:bounce:

The fact is that money makes "the world" - including Walt Disney World - go 'round. If WDW doesn't have the money, they need to make the most of what they have. Whether we want to admit it or not, I'm sure that Disney is suffering somewhat in this economy like everyone else. Therefore, they have to find ways to cut corners.

They may have to close less visited attractions (COP, Timekeeper) and only open then and have someone manning them (and pay them) when they will have more attendees. They may have to choose opening areas of the park after the rest of the park opens (e.g. Adventureland). I'm sure they looked at the numbers and saw that there were not many people riding the attractions in this land when the park first opens. Admit it - you run to Space Mountain or Splash Mountain or somewhere in Fantasyland when you first arrive at MK. Adventureland probably got hardly any visitors until 10 am anyway. Now you don't have dozens of people sitting around getting paid for doing nothing because no one is there to demand it.

They may also have to change the way they do maintenance. Daytime crews to maintain the parks (painters, etc) are cheaper than nightime crews. Have you ever called a plumber at night or on the weekend and compared that to daytime hours during the week?

If you have fewer cleaners that come out while guests are still there instead of waiting until the park closes, they will be off the clock sooner and therefore cost less.

This is what it boils down to. WDW's philosophy has always been to provide magic to the masses. I don't think that has changed. They may have had to change the amount of that magic and the way they provide it due to limited resources but I honestly believe that if we are patient, WDW will return to their earlier practices of painting and cleaning during the night and having an army of sweepers to clean up after you before you make a mess. In the meantime, find the good (and great) in what WDW has to offer and enjoy it.

Thanks for your comments lfontaine, but the problem with your theory is that Disney was making these same types of changes (like reducing hours) when the economy was good. They just accelerated when the economy went bad. Further, they have continued now that the downward trend in the economy has stabalized.

Matt, you are right, it seems that once one of these cost saving measures is accepted, it never goes back to "Walts Way".

or as the Baron Might Say..This translates to More money for Ei$ner...

:)

the problem with your theory is that Disney was making these same types of changes (like reducing hours) when the economy was good
Leave us not forget also that the parks, as a division of the Walt Disney Co., generally make money each year. The problem is that the company bleeds off those profits to cover the less profitable divisions (ABC, Go.com, etc.).

When Walt & Roy were running things, they only had the two divisions: Film & Parks. It's a different world now.

Sarangel

Going back to the original OP's post mentioning bathrooms, here below is a part of my trip report from thsi past July -

Public bathrooms next to Morocco were the worst I have ever seen at WDW. I’m guessing at least 15 stalls? None had toilet paper, several were clogged, no paper towels and trash piled on the floor from days ago? My mom and I were totally blown away. My dad hunted down a CM and they called for someone to come clean. What a mess! Very disappointing! Thank goodness IllumiNations lit back up my life! LOL Great, great show. It gives me the chills each time. Just love that music!

Note I did email WDw and they did call me at hoem to apologize. really, I just wanted to alert them cause it was quite heart breaking.

I do not understand why people go to such great lengths to look for problems when they are on vacation. I could have complained last year because my son got sick while we were in Disney. It was his first visit to Disney. We had to take him to the Hospital and then my wife got sick then me. It was a very bad end of a vacation. But do you know what happened? I, in my exausted state, spoke to a cast member. his name was George.

George listened to me vent and appologised for my misfortune. He didn't stop there He asked for my room number. Later on that night when George got off of work he came to our room. My son was lying on the couch sick as a dog. My wife was there too. George brought my son a stuffed Eyor and a get well pin. He said no one should loose out on the Magic. My son hugged that doll and still sleeps with it today. My wife cryed and I just couldn't beleave what they did. Thats why I go back to Disney every year. Thats why I don't look for chipped paint or a branch that fell. I go because they welcome you home and they mean it.

So to all of you ney sayers about the condition of Disney back off!!! You don't have chipped paint in your home? You don't leave your garbage out? or your bed not made? Get over it!!! Your on vacation don't sweat the small stuff. :crazy:

Buzzlight,
I do not understand why people go to such great lengths to look for problems when they are on vacation.

Hey, I love WDW, too and your story was very touching. BUT...
I was not looking for problems. Not looking to go into one of the most digusting bathrooms I've ever been into and much less at WDW for goodness sake! I'm not overstating by saying it was absoluetly GROSS!
I understand paint peeling under the hot Florida sun here and there but to see a bathroom in that condition is unacceptabel for the money we pay to go there.
There is no doubt in all the times I've been to say that WDW is slipping. I ahte it, but it is a FACT. I'll still go, actaully we just joined DVc this year, but I'm not so blinded by my love for WDw that I can't see there are soem definite cutbacks to the way thry run the place and unfortunately these cutbacks have had a negative impact on the cleanliness of the parks.

Buzzlight, I think you will find that this place has some of the most devout Disney Fans that you can find. People who are new to these boards sometimes think that we hate Disney. You will find that it isn't a few little things that are noticed; it is a gradual decline in the way the parks are kept and the treatment of guests. We do not (most of us at least) go into the parks to look for little things to post here. We do, however point out major things like a tree falling down at DL and injuring several guests, or the severe wood rot on the castle there.

You will also find that several CM's are here as well.

My point, just because we are a little critical doesn't mean that we are nit-picking, it means we are concerned.

lenshanem, Someone sent me this link a while ago, and it has made a huge difference in my typing skills...
www.iespell.com

I am sorry guys,

I misunderstood the thread. I am new to this site. I feel really bad right now. I have become a disney nut after my wife and I met. She is a CM as well.

Thanks ohanafamily. I'm gonna go back and check that site out when my kids aren't crwaling all over me!

Buzzlight, yes, welcoem to the boards. I hoep you understand what I was trying to convey. Never want to sound mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter