Are They Kidding??? Some People!!!

Has anyone ventured a thought that these may be late National Coffee Day lights? No? Got things all figured out in your echo chambers, do you?

Mysterian: 1
DIS: 0

No one has money like they used to. Inflation has gotten to the tipping point. Stores and Disney are starting Christmas now because no one can afford it like they used to. They will need all this extra time to spread out the cost! Sadly, I'm not kidding!

Stores & Disney starting Christmas earlier has nothing to do with this year’s inflation. It’s been earlier & earlier for as long as I can remember, and I’m old. Disney has started doing Christmas the day after Halloween for over a decade. And I know plenty of people who can still afford stuff as they normally do.

Stores & Disney starting Christmas earlier has nothing to do with this year’s inflation. It’s been earlier & earlier for as long as I can remember, and I’m old. Disney has started doing Christmas the day after Halloween for over a decade. And I know plenty of people who can still afford stuff as they normally do.

Last edited:
Point taken and you're right - everyone has GOBS of extra money these days! :confused3
Again, when I go to the grocery store, I don't know how people are doing it. Especially those with large families.

But it actually does seem like people have a ton of money. People are out and about spending.

I don't know where everyone is getting their money from, but it does seem like people are still out spending. Perhaps it will come to a screeching halt soon:confused3
I think instead over these last 2 years learning about their vulnerabilities and being smart with doubling down on paying off debt and curbing spending, they doubled down on spending on the credit card.

LOL. I have a cousin with a very nice house on Elbow Valley Lake in Calgary. We had a family reunion at his house about 15 years ago, and it was pretty warm. A mutual cousin (from Ottawa) commented that he had "a million dollar house but was too cheap to spring for central AC"
I get it, but living pretty far North I don't have central air either. It's pretty low on the priority list when we might need it maybe at most two weeks a year. Where they live they probably need it even less than that.

I think instead over these last 2 years learning about their vulnerabilities and being smart with doubling down on paying off debt and curbing spending, they doubled down on spending on the credit card.
In a way that is what has happened although it's not necessarily CC, there has been at least a subset of people who have come away from the pandemic with a different mindset on life. Can't really blame them. Isolation affected everyone differently, not seeing loved ones, knowing people who have passed away, etc it all is understandable on a human level why how someone viewed their willingness to spend money differently.

But there are also people who have taken the opportunity to shift jobs too. That is what my husband has done and he makes a good amount more than his prior company (who did ask for him back at the increased salary he turned them down) and we also paid down debt paying our student loans during the pause where they have been paid off, my stimulus all went to private student loans, we refinanced early on in the pandemic due to interest rates being a bit lower.

We didn't necessarily halt our spending but as a byproduct we didn't vacation like we had planned and our first actual trip was a year into the pandemic with a very modest amount spent. We aren't going crazy with our money but we do have 2 trips planned next year with one being a pricey one but after 15 years of knowing each other and 10 years of marriage (at the time of the vacation) I think we deserve it, our less expensive trip is technically our 10th anniversary one but this other one is more of treating ourselves, something that we tend to hold back on usually. I don't doubt that there are other people out there like that as well. We're not driving ourselves into debt however by doing so. We are however maximizing reward points on a CC as they have paid for in part our flights to Europe via transferring those points to the respective airlines, we're about to book 2 nights at a hotel in Venice just with the points earned on the CC, we'll do the same for our Athens hotel, etc so I wouldn't also blame people for doing things like this.

In terms of the grocery talk it is atrocious what that is costing and we normally shop Great Value brand. It wasn't even that long ago that our grocery pick up orders hovered around that $35 range that gets you free pick up (we usually buy groceries for just a few recipes at a time) and it's all too easy to hit that mark now without even getting much.

I get it, but living pretty far North I don't have central air either. It's pretty low on the priority list when we might need it maybe at most two weeks a year. Where they live they probably need it even less than that.
Our mutual cousin just felt it was amusing he had spent more on his outdoor kitchen that adding AC would have cost, and the outdoor kitchen gets about the same use the ac would.

I’m in Canada; about an hour from the border. I would die if we didn’t have a/c for the summer. It’s not unusual for us to have a few weeks in July where the temp is 45C with the humidity.

Up North ≠ cold year round

I’m in Canada; about an hour from the border. I would die if we didn’t have a/c for the summer. It’s not unusual for us to have a few weeks in July where the temp is 45C with the humidity.

Up North ≠ cold year round
I don't think I insinuated that it did, just that it's a possible explanation based on where I live that is much lower north than the area mentioned. We average about 78 in the summer. Before I posted a quick google told me the average summer temps in the area mentioned were 70 degrees F, so it seemed pretty plausible that it wasn't high priority for them. My house was built over 20 years ago and central air just wasn't part of the heat systems put in at that time in our area, so we won't have it until it's time to replace the system. Simply not a priority for us when a few ceiling fans and a small portable unit in one room get us through the few warm days we have just fine. We do have "heat waves" on occasion, but everyone just understands that AC isn't always the norm here.

Last edited:
I don’t think it really reaches anybody’s threshold of “mad” - just sort of an eye-rolly thing. I leave my harvest decor up until I decorate for Christmas in December and I’m sure some people think my scarecrow and frozen pumpkins and porch mums look dumb under a foot of snow. :laughing:
Nope, I’m livid about it. >:(:mad::furious:

;):teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter