Are they hard-selling us on DVC or am I just paranoid?

Buttercup Roberts

Future Orlando Resident
I had a very odd phone call with reservations two days ago.

I called and asked if there was an AP rate at a Moderate with a king sized bed for 2/1 - 2/4/07. The cast member looked and said the "only thing available" in all of Walt Disney World was a studio at Saratoga Springs.

I was totally incredulous, and said, nothing in the whole resort??? I mean, it's not Christmas or spring break or even President's week, it's just a weekend in off season! I said, would it make any difference if we came in on 1/31?

She put me on hold for about two minutes, and then came back and said after "digging a little deeper" she had four other things to offer me, $305 for a water view at YC (which we took), $235 for a standard view room at BC, $199 for a studio at OKW, and a concierge room at WL that I can't remember the price, and these were all available for arrival on 1/31 or 2/1.

This isn't the first time we've been offered Saratoga Springs as the first thing mentioned, but I don't think anyone has said before it was the "only thing available" until I insisted they "dig a little deeper."

Are we being hard-steered toward DVC? They know we are long time AP holders who only stay on AP rates, I'm sure, and they know I've been to WDW going on 30 times now, etc. It really makes me wonder, if now every time I call, there somehow mysteriously won't be anywhere they can put me but whatever DVC property is currently for sale.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid! :confused3

I dunno. I doubt they are "pushing" it on people. We, too, are passholders, and many times I've been offered rooms at one of the DVC resorts and being told it was all that was available. It was often for a last minute trip, too. Well, within a few weeks anyway -- like yours. Sometimes I think the "dig a little deeper" means "let me look into the the higher priced rooms."

I went on the DVC tour a few months back. (I want to buy. DH doesn not.) Since the tour we have been back a few times and have stayed in the regular resorts and also rented points to stay in the DVC resorts. Our guide has only called once after the initial tour to follow up. I have called/e-mailed him and he always responds, but I always make first contact. I'd think if they were "pushing" DVC I'd be hearing from them more often.

But that's just my opinion.

It hadn't occurred to me that they would never quote us resorts in another category unless we ask.

That makes sense.

If that's what was going on, it's interesting that Saratoga Springs is in their "Moderate" category inventory, but OKW didn't turn up until she checked "Deluxe" resorts, too.

Perhaps because Saratoga Springs is the current selling DVC, they mention it to everyone trying to book sold out moderates and maybe even values, just because they want the extra push for it.

OK, so I was just being paranoid, I admit it! :scared:

It hadn't occurred to me that they would never quote us resorts in another category unless we ask.

That makes sense.

If that's what was going on, it's interesting that Saratoga Springs is in their "Moderate" category inventory, but OKW didn't turn up until she checked "Deluxe" resorts, too.

I think 199$ is the line dividing mod/deluxe. When we would reserve through CRO, POR/CBR/CSR were all in the "starts at 139$" category, WL and AKV were in the "starts at 199$" category and Poly/YC/BC/CR/GF were all in the starts at "250+" category.

I think AP dicounted studios at OKW/SSR are in the non-discounted deluxe WL/AKV price range -all start at 199$

I've had the same thing happen when calling regular CRO to check availability - I was told none, then when went back and checked check-out dates she came up with a handful of options. It seemed like the system was not immediately showing rooms due to be checked out of?

BTW - DVC studios never have king size beds.

facebook twitter