Are there bugs in California?

mouschievous

DIS Veteran
I had a realization tonight that I don't know if I need to pack my bug stuff. Mosquitoes and other bugs that bite LOVE me. I don't dare go out at night at home without bug stuff on. I've even been bit through my clothing! But not having been to DL in the summer I'm not sure if I need to pack that stuff or not.

Last edited:
Yes. There are bugs in California. Wouldn't it be horrible if you decided not to pack your bug stuff and then really needed it?

But then, if you pack you bug stuff and don't need it...

Yes. There are bugs in California. Wouldn't it be horrible if you decided not to pack your bug stuff and then really needed it?

But then, if you pack you bug stuff and don't need it...
Yeah, I'll probably just toss the bands in. We're not checking any luggage so I'm not sure I can take the spray. I'll have to check the ounces.

There are definitely bugs in California, and I am also usually a magnet for bites, but I don’t recall that I’ve ever had a mosquito bite at Disneyland.
Interesting. There is some info on the internet that perhaps the county has strong vector control.

Yes, there are bugs in California, but it is nothing like some other parts of the country I’ve been to where the air is just thick with bugs.

DL has huge orb spiders all over the place that minimize any type of flying bug or any type of bug that will bite you. Plus mosquitos aren't a big thing in Southern CA. You usually don't have to worry about that here unless your near a lake. I'm not saying that there are no bugs because they are everywhere but chances are you will be fine. I live in CA and never worry about bugs at the park.

Just came here to do a search on this. My granddaughter is a mosquito magnet, and she is sensitive to the bites, they really raise up to a big welt. Has anyone used those patches I see advertised? Wondering if it might be good to be proactive, and she really hates the spray. She'll do it, bc she hates "the itichies", but I was looking for alternatives. We were bite free at WDW without anything, which in Florida was a miracle!

I am also a magnet for mosquitoes and get welts that last for days when bitten. I’ve been going to Disneyland for fifteen years and have never been mosquito-bit while in Anaheim.

I'm also a mosquito magnet and kinda allergic, bites swell up huge. I've never gotten a mosquito bite at Disneyland ever. And I've gone at least once per year all my life.

When I lived in SoCal I don't remember ever being bitten by mosquitos or black flies. Definitely not at Disneyland.

Thanks y'all! Obviously the title was a bit dramatic - clearly there are bugs everywhere! - but it sounds like I don't need to worry too much. I'll throw the bands in but not worry about the spray.

@CeCe0906 , I haven't used patches but I use the citronella bug bands and they work! I have to wear 2, one on my wrist and one on my ankle, but I've never been bit when wearing 2.

Thanks y'all! Obviously the title was a bit dramatic - clearly there are bugs everywhere! - but it sounds like I don't need to worry too much. I'll throw the bands in but not worry about the spray.

@CeCe0906 , I haven't used patches but I use the citronella bug bands and they work! I have to wear 2, one on my wrist and one on my ankle, but I've never been bit when wearing 2.
Which brand do you use? I might get some for hiking :cool1:

SoCal used to only have mosquitos that come out at night, but aedes mosquitos, which bite any time of the day, have migrated here via shipping crates and are now pretty pervasive here.

That said, I don’t think I’ve ever been bitten at Disneyland, only in residential areas.

It never fails that when I'm outdoors, I will get bit by mosquitos. I just got bit 3 times last night!

Disneyland is great because I've never once gotten bit inside the parks. I'm not even sure if I've even seen any bugs except for those little gnat things that fly together, but that was maybe once out of all the times I have visited Disneyland.

I've never once used bug stuff at DLR and I have never gotten a bug bite.

If you are going other places-- I have seen annoying flies that bite on the beach- but I still have never used bug stuff there. I'm usually a bug magnet and the only time I have ever used any type of bug stuff on our CA trips was for hiking up in the Redwoods.

California is HUGE and diverse. I live in CA, but almost 12 hrs north of Disneyland. We have various bugs for sure. However, I've never been affected by any kind of bugs whatsoever in Disneyland. The sun...that's another story!

California is HUGE and diverse. I live in CA, but almost 12 hrs north of Disneyland. We have various bugs for sure. However, I've never been affected by any kind of bugs whatsoever in Disneyland. The sun...that's another story!
Sun screen and sun hat already packed! Oh, and a hydroflask (wow, I'm the PNW stereotype!)

Which brand do you use? I might get some for hiking :cool1:
Right now I'm using the Bugables brand. I've also used the BuggyBeds brand. Both seem to work equally well. For spray, I use all natural repellant that a friend makes. Unless we're going someplace where I need the real stuff, then it's Deet all the way.

I've lived in California all my life. The only time we worry about bugs is if we're going hiking or otherwise spending time in a more remote, outdoor area. We might encounter a few mosquitos if we're sitting on our patio at night, but otherwise they're not much of a problem. We went to a friend's wedding a few years ago in a park with a grassy area and lots of trees. The mosquitos were very active that day and the hosts passed out bug spray as the guests arrived. That was a pretty unique situation.

We've never had a problem with bugs at DL. We always take the bug spray to Florida, but not to DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter