Are there any parks with dark rides other than disney or universal? Or at least lots of family ride

qa4ever

Mouseketeer
Our favorite types of rides are dark rides. But we are looking for a park with lots of family rides like ferris wheel, train, skyride, but dark ride(s) would be awesome. Are there any parks you'd recommend within driving distance from Toronto (so 10-12 hours by car away)?

We are looking for a summer getaway and all the amusement parks these days seem to be all coasters and spinny rides. Spinny rides make me and my older daughter dizzy and both kids are afraid of coasters unless they are really tame.

Any recommendations?

Our favorite types of rides are dark rides. But we are looking for a park with lots of family rides like ferris wheel, train, skyride, but dark ride(s) would be awesome. Are there any parks you'd recommend within driving distance from Toronto (so 10-12 hours by car away)?

We are looking for a summer getaway and all the amusement parks these days seem to be all coasters and spinny rides. Spinny rides make me and my older daughter dizzy and both kids are afraid of coasters unless they are really tame.

Any recommendations?

Look up the nearest six flags to you.
The six flags by me the one in New Jersey has everything except a train

Knott's, but it's not within driving distance of Toronto. I guess Hershey if you include the ride at the visitor's center there's a few.

I haven't been to Kennywood in Pittsburgh for a wile, but they always had a lot of family rides and a few dark rides - one kind of like Primeval Whirl called the Exterminator, and a tunnel of love type ride now themed as Garfield. Also a traditional walk through fun house (Noah's Ark) that was just refurbished.

https://www.kennywood.com/

Here is a list of the attractions - https://www.kennywood.com/things-to-do/attractions (click on classic & dark rides for the family ones)

There is also Idlewild which has a lot more for younger kids (Storybook Forest and Mr Rogers Neighborhood attractions) as well as rides. https://www.idlewild.com/things-to-do/attractions

Last edited:

I would say Hersheypark. Haven't been in a few years so hopefully all of this that I will mention is still there. Besides some rides that should be fine you get free admission to ZooAmerica and there are some shows as well. Then at Chocolate World is a ride showing you how to make chocolate with a free sample at the end, a 4D show, a make your own candy bar plus an area for shopping and food that has some unusual items such as a pizza that has chocolate BBQ sauce or a sandwich that comes with chips or pretzels infused with chocolate. There is also a trolley tour. Other Hershey attractions include the antique car museum, the Hershey Museum, the gardens at the Hotel Hershey, and The Hershey Story. Plus there are outlets.

Last edited:
Not in the range for the OP, but I grew up going to a regional amusement park with cheesy dark rides. One was a cave train, and the other was a haunted castle style ride. The rides were not exactly Disney quality.

Now thinking of dark rides, I just watched part of Tomorrowland, which had a mockup of the outside of IASM from the 1964 Worlds Fair, but I understand that most of the ride shot was filmed at Disneyland.

I see Hersheypark that has been mentioned, Knoebels is an hour away from Hersheypark and is also recommended. They have 2 dark rides, Haunted Mansion and Black Diamond (technically Black Diamond is a coaster but only has a few very small drops and is mostly a dark ride) that are very good and almost every type of ride you could want, 2 trains, antique cars, Sky ride. There is also the only operating Flying Turns, wooden bobsled coaster that is more of a family coaster and something different. Best of all it is free admission and you either buy ride tickets (rides are around $1 up to $3) or a ride all day hand stamp. Parking is also free and the food prices are very inexpensive for an amusement park.

Cedar Point maybe? Do you like water parks? They're enlarging theirs (significantly). They have cabins on site that are nice. From there you can go to Put-in-Bay (an island), Cleveland, Amish Country.

Knoebels Amusement Resort - BEST family park ever. NO admission fee and free parking. You can get an all day pass, or pay per ride. Free picnic area too. Really really clean and good food.

http://www.knoebels.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter