Are "sleep around" points becoming a thing of the past?

JasonMak2000

Mouseketeer
Considering an add-on. I've got my main dvc contact through resale and by splitting one years points(2021) and moving half to previous year (2020) and the other half to the following year (2022), we have a system where we can go to Disney 5 out of 7 years staying in a 1 or 2 bdrm (depending on the resort). So the purpose of the add on would be to fill in the gaps or combine with other points for a cabin or villa. So now I am considering a small add on direct of 100 points. My dilemma is that I do really want to stay at Riviera some but not exclusively. If I take the "buy where you want to stay" advice then its Riviera. But if you can still use points to sleep around at other resorts then I'd probably buy Saratoga, since it seems to be the best value direct at the moment. Since we would be looking for 1 bdrm or larger most trips, would Saratoga be a good option for being able to experience other resorts? Thoughts?

Considering an add-on. I've got my main dvc contact through resale and by splitting one years points(2021) and moving half to previous year (2020) and the other half to the following year (2022), we have a system where we can go to Disney 5 out of 7 years staying in a 1 or 2 bdrm (depending on the resort). So the purpose of the add on would be to fill in the gaps or combine with other points for a cabin or villa. So now I am considering a small add on direct of 100 points. My dilemma is that I do really want to stay at Riviera some but not exclusively. If I take the "buy where you want to stay" advice then its Riviera. But if you can still use points to sleep around at other resorts then I'd probably buy Saratoga, since it seems to be the best value direct at the moment. Since we would be looking for 1 bdrm or larger most trips, would Saratoga be a good option for being able to experience other resorts? Thoughts?
What times of year are you traveling?

For 1 bedrooms, I think SSR points would work almost all of the time for 7 month booking. You shouldn't plan on studios or the limited number of villas (any size) that are value, standard or in a "specialty" category such as concierge or Boardwalk view. So far the CCV cabins and Poly bungalows seem to be very available at 7 months.

You will have more choices in the summer, and fewer between September and Marathon weekend in January. Also, the rehab/remodels at SSR should make that resort (and its proximity to DS) much more popular than it has been so far. That may increase availability at the other resorts. 2 bedrooms could be an issue - especially for the resorts that have all (or a lot of) lock off villas.

Good luck with your decision.

What is your home resort? Why not add on there? Is it the cost of direct points? If all you want them for is to sleep around then any resort will do since you’d be using them at 7 months. But if you ever wanted to upgrade your accommodations at your home resort, having all your points at that resort would make it much easier.

I have had good luck being able to switch out for trips. But, I have been able to go on the website and look regularly

With 1 bedrooms, I do think you’d have an easier time switching and trying other places, especially if you booking right at 7 months. However, fall is going to be tough.

I own BWV specifically for fall trips but for the rest of the year,I’m willing to try other places using my SSR pointsl

We do try to avoid the hottest months so we travel anywhere from mid September to early May. We currently own at VGF so the cost of direct points there is just ridiculous right now especially considering what we paid resale. Also, I wouldn't mind owning another resort to be able to have two 11 month booking windows. I am not opposed to doing a split stay on our "supplemental" DVC trip and I'm not opposed to staying in the refurbished Saratoga rooms as I think they look great. The resale restrictions dont bother me at RIV. The MFs and point chart are more of a deterrent than the restrictions. Despite that, I would love to have an Epcot/skyliner resort to go with my MK/monorail resort so I'm torn.

We do try to avoid the hottest months so we travel anywhere from mid September to early May. We currently own at VGF so the cost of direct points there is just ridiculous right now especially considering what we paid resale. Also, I wouldn't mind owning another resort to be able to have two 11 month booking windows. I am not opposed to doing a split stay on our "supplemental" DVC trip and I'm not opposed to staying in the refurbished Saratoga rooms as I think they look great. The resale restrictions dont bother me at RIV. The MFs and point chart are more of a deterrent than the restrictions. Despite that, I would love to have an Epcot/skyliner resort to go with my MK/monorail resort so I'm torn.
Buy where you want to stay if you’re traveling mid-Sept to after Marathon in Jan, especially if you want primarily studios.

You probably already know that mid September to early to mid January is DVC's busy season, so for those dates you'll probably be booking your home at 11 months and staying there. If you want 1 bedrooms, the competition is not as intense as for studios - but it's getting stronger all the time. So I agree with @Madame - buy where you want to stay, or at least where you won't mind staying. Since the renovated SSR is appealing to you, and the price is right, sounds like it would be a good choice.

The question isn't is SAP a thing of the past....but will they be a thing of the past in the future. Availability has tightened incredibly over the past ten years - if ten years from now you could only book at the resort you own points at, will you be happy? Don't look at the past when buying DVC, try and see the future. And the future, IMHO, doesn't look good for people who want to switch at seven months.

To me the biggest issue is going to be everyone buying in new at Riviera direct can "sleep" at anyone's home, but L14 resales can't go sleep at their home. If the % of L14 resales are low compared to the whole, maybe it won't matter. Hard to know yet.

As a 1 bed sleep around practitioner, sleep around points are certainly not becoming a thing of the past. Always tons of choice, and Skier Pete’s charts are slightly pessimistic (Pete has explained why previously, I think he said they were not always checked at 8am ET and ‘spotty’ means there was often availability). This Xmas and New Year I’m at Beach Club 20-26 December (no issues booking any resort those dates, aside from Copper Creek I think from memory, everything else open) and BLT then to New Year. BLT is quite difficult to New Year but maybe I got lucky.
Choices wide open included BCV (I do not usually find that difficult to get in 1 beds), BWV (always available, often standard view), OKW, AKV, SSR, BRV, VGF, RIV, (standard went immediately at 8am but I could have booked it, and preferred no issues).
Summer when I often go, everything is available and nearly every view. I’ve even had AKV value open, buy not Club. BLT standard is tough.
Even in food and wine time, Boardwalk usually available, pool and garden bang on 7 months at 8 am. BCV is a bit more challenging mid Sept to Mid December. No issues anytime else.
As someone who keeps a close eye on this and books it, I can safely say that in 1 beds at least, sleep around points are still a great strategy at DVC.
As to the claim competition is increasing in 1 beds, I don’t know where that stat comes from, but on my personal experience I have not noticed this at all.
Will it change in 1 beds? Dunno, I don’t see it tightening as we do for studios as there is always the scramble for studios, especially as prices go up.
Studios, yes much harder and will probably tighten further.
So OP if you do intend to stay in 1 beds, have some flexibility and just want to do some sleeping around go ahead. Go into it with your eyes open though as no one can say it will never tighten but if it does, it will be a lot slower than studios. Also be prepared to be changing at 8am 7 months out, and don’t always expect the exact place you want or the value view you want.
I love my SSR sleep around points, but when that refurb is done in the SSR standard I’m often booking there as the 1 beds with 5 sleep surfaces are phenomenal, and at a great price point.

Last edited:
Well that's encouraging to hear! We are fairly flexible and we usually only go for 4 or 5 nights at a time. Thanks for sharing your experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!