Are DVC Point Increases Benefitting Existing Members?

Blue card or not , raising the minimum will tend to lower the number of contracts. I am a new DVC member , never made a reservation, so will it really make the reservation process easier I do not know.

Honestly, in terms of studios, the more points an owners is required to buy, the chances are they could book something larger if what they want is not available.

Will 25 points make a huge difference? I’m not sure about that. But, I am one who doesn’t let things like this impact me other than to say it is what it is,

If something DVD does makes What I own worse, then I just have to decide what it means for me moving forward,

For example, when I first bought, I booked a cruise on points, it was great and I loved being able to do that. Then they changed the rules and so my resale points couldn’t be used that way, It didn’t make me buy more direct, simply realize I wasn’t going to have that option any more,

Now, I really think for new buyers, this won’t make a big difference in buying or not and it may help. I also am hoping that with it come some better perks.

Now, I really think for new buyers, this won’t make a big difference in buying or not and it may help. I also am hoping that with it come some better perks.
Ditto!

As far as availability goes, I don't see that the point charts are having any noticeable effect at my home resort, the BWV.

The point chart changes aren't helping me at all. They just make my October, November & December 1 bedrooms more expensive. So far, they have not been hard to book at 11 months without walking.

I don't see the changes helping availability for BWV studios, either. At BWV, standard view & Boardwalk view studios are still being walked & members are still complaining that they can't get them. Preferred views are (and have been) available and easily booked at 11 months. They're just more expensive. I don't know how high std & BW views have to go to make a noticeable change. As long as they are less than PV, members will choose them over PV.

I, for one, will not visit in the late spring or summer no matter how low they make the point cost for those seasons. IMO, all they did with the changes is make my preferred seasons more expensive and increase the points that go unused by members ( go either to renters or to breakage ).

Ditto!

As far as availability goes, I don't see that the point charts are having any noticeable effect at my home resort, the BWV.

The point chart changes aren't helping me at all. They just make my October, November & December 1 bedrooms more expensive. So far, they have not been hard to book at 11 months without walking.

I don't see the changes helping availability for BWV studios, either. At BWV, standard view & Boardwalk view studios are still being walked & members are still complaining that they can't get them. Preferred views are (and have been) available and easily booked at 11 months. They're just more expensive. I don't know how high std & BW views have to go to make a noticeable change. As long as they are less than PV, members will choose them over PV.

I, for one, will not visit in the late spring or summer no matter how low they make the point cost for those seasons. IMO, all they did with the changes is make my preferred seasons more expensive and increase the points that go unused by members ( go either to renters or to breakage ).

Disney put themselves in a pickle a long time ago with the different view categories. Their salesmen were keen to market the cheapest options to make a sale, hence many people bought in with a low amount assuming value options would actually be available. On the flipside, Grand Villas, especially the bungalows were never realistic for most, yet represent a good amount of peoples points.

The more people that own only small contracts (I'm not talking about those with a large master contract and several smaller add-ons), the more competition there will be for Studio rooms, limiting availability.

Members are walking for BWV October standard view studios right now, but not for preferred. (A week in a preferred studio costs 24 more points than a week in a standard studio. 24 points would get you two extra weeknights in a standard view. I'm not sure what the difference would have to be to stop enough members from walking to get standard in order to impact availability.

At the BWV, they are going to have to narrow the difference between standard and preferred studios quite a bit to make a difference in availability. You could make a similar argument for most of the other relatively limited & less expensive options at all the WDW resorts. I'm not sure it is legally possible for them to do so. YMMV.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter