April 2019 TRIP REPORTS

April Trip Report OR Feeling a Bit Squirrelly

A bit of background-My family has been to Disney a fair amount of times over the past years. While we are not pros; I would say that we know the “Disney Ropes.” Our Disney travels have always included at least one, and often all three, of our daughters. I have always been the Disney planner. And, the officer in charge. I knew, to the minute, when the pokey daughter had to wake up in order for us to make rope drop. What time we had to leave the room/rv in order to make it to the bus stop on time. What rides had the longest waits and when to line up for them. Yes, I was that person. And, then, something interesting happened. My husband retired. And, I partially retired. And, we did some traveling without the kids (who, if truth be known, aren’t really kids anymore)(one of them even has kids). And, we found out that we enjoyed these trips. So, we did the unbelievable-we decided to travel to Disney without any of our children. Do we feel a bit guilty? Yes. At least that’s what I tell the kids. And, not only that…my husband and I are going to shake things up a bit. We are not buying park passes until we arrive, so no planned in advance fastpasses. We are not making any dining reservations until we arrive. And, we might even sleep in some days and do the parks at our leisure. We might even stay up late an evening or two. My daughters are already talking among themselves. They believe this is the possible start of a mental health issue.

Even the squirrels are worried about our new Disney plans.

upload_2019-4-7_15-13-56.png

And, then, something interesting happened. My husband retired. And, I partially retired. And, we did some traveling without the kids (who, if truth be known, aren’t really kids anymore)(one of them even has kids). And, we found out that we enjoyed these trips. So, we did the unbelievable-we decided to travel to Disney without any of our children. Do we feel a bit guilty? Yes. At least that’s what I tell the kids. And, not only that…my husband and I are going to shake things up a bit. We are not buying park passes until we arrive, so no planned in advance fastpasses. We are not making any dining reservations until we arrive. And, we might even sleep in some days and do the parks at our leisure. We might even stay up late an evening or two. My daughters are already talking among themselves. They believe this is the possible start of a mental health issue.

spud, they're just jealous (as am I).

Got my popcorn and I'm ready to follow along.

Bama Ed

April Trip Report OR Feeling a Bit Squirrelly

A bit of background-My family has been to Disney a fair amount of times over the past years. While we are not pros; I would say that we know the “Disney Ropes.” Our Disney travels have always included at least one, and often all three, of our daughters. I have always been the Disney planner. And, the officer in charge. I knew, to the minute, when the pokey daughter had to wake up in order for us to make rope drop. What time we had to leave the room/rv in order to make it to the bus stop on time. What rides had the longest waits and when to line up for them. Yes, I was that person. And, then, something interesting happened. My husband retired. And, I partially retired. And, we did some traveling without the kids (who, if truth be known, aren’t really kids anymore)(one of them even has kids). And, we found out that we enjoyed these trips. So, we did the unbelievable-we decided to travel to Disney without any of our children. Do we feel a bit guilty? Yes. At least that’s what I tell the kids. And, not only that…my husband and I are going to shake things up a bit. We are not buying park passes until we arrive, so no planned in advance fastpasses. We are not making any dining reservations until we arrive. And, we might even sleep in some days and do the parks at our leisure. We might even stay up late an evening or two. My daughters are already talking among themselves. They believe this is the possible start of a mental health issue.

Even the squirrels are worried about our new Disney plans.

View attachment 393249

I love it! Our first trip alone is next month. I cannot wait! I hope to get some good ideas from following along with you two.

Here’s Hoping April Isn’t Too, Too Crazy A Time to Visit

When my husband and I started talking about taking a trip to Disney, we decided that February would be a wonderful time to visit. But, guess what-I could not get a camp site reservation for the times we wanted. And, although bama-ed showed me how I could get a reservation by stringing together countless smaller reservations…. I was just….unmotivated…. to have to work so hard to spend so much money. So, I decided on April. Hoping to go at the start of April, but then I remembered this…

upload_2019-4-8_15-30-27.png

My church committee makes Easter candy to sell….this week. We always have a great time, and there was no way I could gracefully bow out of this project. I didn’t want to go to Disney with Jesus mad at me. Figured I would never get any fastpasses that way. So, two days of candy making first, and then we are leaving for Disney this Friday after the candy has all been made. Hopefully around lunch.

Last edited:
Pre Trip Planning

Getting ready to go. Not much planning here. I did a total rv cleaning last fall when we finished camping for the year. Just had to cook and freeze some food, put some clothes in the rv, and we will be ready to go.

My food prep

upload_2019-4-9_16-57-9.png

Even the squirrels helped with the food shopping.

upload_2019-4-9_16-58-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-9_16-57-45.png
    upload_2019-4-9_16-57-45.png
    231 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Another Pre-Trip Job Done

Before we go on a trip, I always clean the house. I just finished the majority of my cleaning today. Off to make Easter candy tomorrow and Friday morning. I also just cooked my last meal before we leave. It's pizza tomorrow.

upload_2019-4-10_15-55-1.png

Once again, the squirrels lent a helping hand. Who knew how helpful these squirrels could be.....

upload_2019-4-10_15-55-17.png

A few changes to our plans. My husband and I headed to church today to assist in making Easter candy, and luck of all luck-we finished the entire project today. Every last pound of candy is made and boxed. So, we plan to head out tomorrow, a bit earlier than we planned.

Introducing our youngest daughter, who is going to stay home and run the show while we are gone. She SAYS that she is going to miss us, BUT, I think she has plans, while we are gone. But, don't worry, I have left numerous "what to do while we are gone" lists on the table. I am sure she will carefully read each list each and every day.

upload_2019-4-11_16-40-12.png

The neighborhood squirrels are going to help watch over our house, too. What more can we want?

Last edited:
But, don't worry, I have left numerous "what to do while we are gone" lists on the table. I am sure she will carefully read each list each and every day.
That must have been my problem. I was in Denver for 4 days last month. DS stayed home and we asked him to feed the cats and scoop out the litter boxes a couple of times. I didn't leave a list with very specific details, so guess what... Cats were starving and there was more cat stuff next to the box than in it.

Live and learn. Good luck with yours and the lists. :D

j

tigger92662-Perhaps you should also have left her a "what not to do" list. LOL

After three daughters, I don't sweat the small stuff anymore. AND, there had better not be any BIG stuff.

We just finished the first leg of our journey. Traveled about 210 miles to Winchester, VA. Just realized that doing a trip report is going to be a bit time consuming. But, hoping I’m up to the challenge.

This is our fist campground of the trip. We stayed here a year or two ago and liked it. On 81 and very nice.

upload_2019-4-12_17-11-18.png

Here we are settled down for the night.
upload_2019-4-12_17-10-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-12_17-6-41.png
    upload_2019-4-12_17-6-41.png
    466 KB · Views: 1
NO INTERNET AND I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT PEANUTS

First, off, I thought I had this whole, "inserting pictures" down, but I am having some trouble. Wish me luck.

Well, we made it to Fayetteville, North Carolina, last night, but the campground that advertised internet did not have it. Well maybe there was enough internet to support someone, but it sure wasn’t us.

So, up early today, and our first stop was…
upload_2019-4-14_17-22-31.png

Even though I was SURE that I had packed everything we had needed, so that we would not need to make even one stop on our way to Disney….we needed to stop. Then, we drove about an hour and saw this…

upload_2019-4-14_17-27-18.png

It’s blurry, because I shot the picture though the rv window, but it’s a picture of South of the Border. Although Pedro told us to stop (actually, he told us to stop for about 100 miles and 100 signs), we did not give in to the call.

And, now my question-and please don’t laugh. When you feed peanuts to the squirrels-do you give them the peanut in the shell, or do you shell the peanut for them? You see, I have a secret that I will now share with the group….I have NEVER fed a squirrel before. Since both squirrels and rats are in the rodent family, I have never felt the need to feed them. But, tiggerdad has convinced me that Disney squirrels are squirrels like no others. Related more to the Mickey Mouse type of rodent than to the rat type of rodent. So, I am trusting you.

Photographer Captured Squirrels Every Day For Six Years And Here Are The Incredible Results 11.jpg

And Teamubr-I also spoke to our youngest daughter, the one at home running the show. She assures me that everything at home is peachy keen. I also spoke to our oldest daughter, who lives a block away. She is coming to our house tonight to watch the beginning of the end of Games of Thrones (which they have been instructed to tape for me). Knowing she will occasionally pop over makes me feel better, too.

Having an older, more responsible child who could check in on the younger, house sitting child would make me more relieved, spud.

Other than the Fort, I have generally found that campgrounds that claim to have WIFI/Internet don't. So I run the hotspot feature on my Android phone. Having low expectations in this regard keeps me from being disappointed so I don't even bother trying the WIFI at campgrounds any more.

And even at the Fort, sometimes the WIFI crawls (evenings). And I was at the Fort the day they cut over to the WIFI. One day there was no WIFI, the next day there was (and oh, speeds were great because few people knew).

Thanks for the updates.

Bama Ed

We made it to Disney. Got in around 11:00 am and our site was ready. I had asked for a site in the 100 loop and got the 200 loop. I am not complaining. We have a great site. We set up and got organized. Next, some lunch and a bike ride. What a great time of the year to visit. The weather today is fantastic. We have always gone to Disney during the summer months. What a difference!!!

We also got these:

upload_2019-4-15_15-24-24.png

We also bought our park tickets once we arrived. The Magic Kingdom opens at 8:00 tomorrow, so we are going to hit it at rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter